Cheaper Entry-Level 2018 Civic Type R variant coming?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpooRk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR LE
Country flag
Maybe you haven't visited a BMW dealership in a while, the 335i isn't part of the 3 series lineup anymore. You can choose either a 330i (starting at $40k) or a 340i (starting at $49k). Neither are a hot hatch like the CTR, just 4-door sedans. You'd need to buy the 340i to get similar performance of the CTR. Not to mention, most BMW's have options and sticker for much more than their base price. The only way the CTR is in the same price bracket is when the ADM is $20k over MSRP. Last but no least, the reliability of a BMW has been proven, at least for me, to be far below that of any Honda I've owned.
He said "like new". Meaning a slightly used 335. But I do agree with you on the reliability of a Honda vs. BMW. And I can't think of any other newish car in the 35-40 range that I'd rather buy than the CTR.

With that being said, almost all of the CTRs left for sale right now have ADM and a lot of them are more than $5k. More are on the way, so if people just had a bit of patience and didn't pay the ADM, I'd imagine it would slowly go away. Unfortunately I think some are panicking and it's giving the dealers the impression that everyone is willing to pay it. Honestly, if the car came from Honda with a price tag of $39,775, I'd be more willing to pay it. Knowing that MSRP deals are out there, the thought of paying the ADM just for the satisfaction of having the car now doesn't make sense for me.
Sponsored

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
He said "like new". Meaning a slightly used 335. But I do agree with you on the reliability of a Honda vs. BMW. And I can't think of any other newish car in the 35-40 range that I'd rather buy than the CTR.

With that being said, almost all of the CTRs left for sale right now have ADM and a lot of them are more than $5k. More are on the way, so if people just had a bit of patience and didn't pay the ADM, I'd imagine it would slowly go away. Unfortunately I think some are panicking and it's giving the dealers the impression that everyone is willing to pay it. Honestly, if the car came from Honda with a price tag of $39,775, I'd be more willing to pay it. Knowing that MSRP deals are out there, the thought of paying the ADM just for the satisfaction of having the car now doesn't make sense for me.
Exactly, I am saying you can get a like new 335 with under 10k miles for the same price as a MSRP CTR and you get a whole lot more car.
Reliability is a whole other subject, especially with the CTR being a new platform we are yet to see how the new turbo motor/ tranny react to high mileage/abuse - so far there are widespread cases of 1-2nd gear grinding. While BMW has been pumping out FI motors for 3 generations now.

the bottom line is; I want a type R, I have the means to pay the 10-20k ADM for it, but I refuse to do that, I also refuse to buy it at MSRP. As the honda factory ramps up production invoice prices are imminent and inevitable.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I guess I missed the "like" new part.

Doing a nationwide search for a 335i under 10,000 miles you can get a 2015 for about $35k +/- $5k, of the low mileage 2015's (last year BMW made that model) only 14 are for sale and none of them have a manual transmission, they all have the 8-spd automatic. So boring. I know the CTR variant everyone expects will be one with a lower feature set than the Touring model, however, I'd like to see a variant that has more features to make it a better daily driver.

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
I guess I missed the "like" new part.

Doing a nationwide search for a 335i under 10,000 miles you can get a 2015 for about $35k +/- $5k, of the low mileage 2015's (last year BMW made that model) only 14 are for sale and none of them have a manual transmission, they all have the 8-spd automatic. So boring. I know the CTR variant everyone expects will be one with a lower feature set than the Touring model, however, I'd like to see a variant that has more features to make it a better daily driver.
Yea I would be first line for a variant without the vortex gens. / wing /20 inch rims. Everything else is fine, heck I wouldn't even be mad if they put on regular accord/civic brakes on it.

Give me 18" wheels (19 max), the drivetrain, bluetooth for 30k and i'll be a happy camper.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
the bottom line is; I want a type R, I have the means to pay the 10-20k ADM for it, but I refuse to do that, I also refuse to buy it at MSRP. As the honda factory ramps up production invoice prices are imminent and inevitable.
I get the part about not paying ADM, but I think you’ll be waiting for a while to pay below MSRP just to save $500 below sticker.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
My last 3 quotes from east coast dealers
1. 42
2. 42
3. 38

even at 35k its borderline a 'good buy'.
So many cars out there in that price bracket, you get a like new 335i (which is under-rated from the factory), e92 m3 etc list goes on. Invoice on the type R has to be 30-31k.
Mine was all across the country. TN, TX, and some others I don't even remember. I contact them via cars.com. The way things look now, I'll probably end up buying the Golf R, GTI, or a Bimmer 2.

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
I get the part about not paying ADM, but I think you’ll be waiting for a while to pay below MSRP just to save $500 below sticker.
More like 2-3k, but you are right, most likely at least another 6 month away from those prices. Luckily I am in no rush and can play the waiting game with them.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
Mine was all across the country. TN, TX, and some others I don't even remember. I contact them via cars.com. The way things look now, I'll probably end up buying the Golf R, GTI, or a Bimmer 2.
I know, right! I've also got my eye on a 2018 Golf R, it would make a better daily driver than the Type R but I'm a big Honda fan. I'd like to see VW bring the new LED sweeping turn signals to the US market. In the past I would have questioned VW's reliability, however the latest MQB platform seems well engineered.

More like 2-3k, but you are right, most likely at least another 6 month away from those prices. Luckily I am in no rush and can play the waiting game with them.
I'm about 5-6 months out as well before I seriously want the CTR, however, if an MSRP deal came along and the car was the right color, I'd pick it up sooner. The dealers around here are still putting $10k over on their window stickers so I doubt a good deal will be available locally in the short term. Like others have said, if you want to do the leg work, there are "supposedly" MSRP deals out there now. I just don't need the car quite yet.

Redglare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 si, 11' z34.
I know, right! I've also got my eye on a 2018 Golf R, it would make a better daily driver than the Type R but I'm a big Honda fan. I'd like to see VW bring the new LED sweeping turn signals to the US market. In the past I would have questioned VW's reliability, however the latest MQB platform seems well engineered.

I'm about 5-6 months out as well before I seriously want the CTR, however, if an MSRP deal came along and the car was the right color, I'd pick it up sooner. The dealers around here are still putting $10k over on their window stickers so I doubt a good deal will be available locally in the short term. Like others have said, if you want to do the leg work, there are "supposedly" MSRP deals out there now. I just don't need the car quite yet.
If you aren't in a rush, time is on your side - hype is dying off, supply going up, demand will be going down.

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
no reason to buy one now and i have the option to get one this month at MSRP

2018 is where its at in 3 months

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
You could have fooled me. Here are my last three encounters within the last two weeks.

1. Asking for $47K. When I said it's out of my price range, They said, oh it just droped to $42K.
2. Asking for $44K.
3. Asking for $44K.
Wow. You my friend are getting raped on prices. May I ask where you are located? I am in the midwest and according to Cars.com there is one type R where the dealer is wanting over MSRP.

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
Wow. You my friend are getting raped on prices. May I ask where you are located? I am in the midwest and according to Cars.com there is one type R where the dealer is wanting over MSRP.
The problem with Cars.com is that few if any of the 160+ Type R's listed are really going for MSRP. Some are listed under MSRP just so that dealership's car will be at the top of the list. Basically the dealers lie about their asking price on the website.

ronmcdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FiestaST, 19 Si, Camaro Z1LE, EvoX, 98 240sx
Country flag
Thats true, that switch and bait tactic is not uncommon and its something Ive experienced myself from dealers in the past. Some not willing to give the real price until you come in to their dealer.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
These weren't dealers from my area. The $47 quote was from Tx. And one was I think in TN and forgot about the other one.

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
The problem with Cars.com is that few if any of the 160+ Type R's listed are really going for MSRP. Some are listed under MSRP just so that dealership's car will be at the top of the list. Basically the dealers lie about their asking price on the website.
Aha! This would be true if I already didn't message the dealers what they were asking for them. I even got a call back from one dealer asking if I was still wanting one and I asked what they wanted to which he said MSRP.... That being said if yall want one Wire me the MSRP and $1k fee and I will get you a Type R. LOL jkjk...but seriously.

I would get on cars and ask the dealers that only have the Honda stock photos as the image and ask them if they had any in stock. They said they would get them in November or late October and I would then ask what they were asking. One did however say 39K but they were doing what someone else mentioned and that is adding "accessories" to markup the price. I replied "thanks" and they asked how much i was willing to spend and I replied "MSRP" they proceeded to lower the price until they hit $38k and I still declined...

now they could increase the price when I got there but I would preface that and negotiate that before driving 400+ miles to get one.

I am sure you are asking why havent I got one if I can find them for MSRP and well its simple I dont feel comfortable spending that much with my negative equity on my 16' civic. Hell I would even go as far as to say if you got pre approved for like 32K I think they would take it. But hey thats just me.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.