Cheap Slotted (not drilled) front rotors for the FK8??

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I'm stockpiling parts for the 2019 track/race season. I have a large parts bin already in the shed ready to be installed (IC, DP, FP, Engine mount, Radiator) and 16 200 TW tires and a set of hoosiers mounted to wheels as well.

What I need is to stockpile cheap slotted (or even just vented) front disks for the R. Right now, I'm only seeing slotted and drilled (not ideal) OEM (not ideal and expensive) or two piece (stupid expensive for a wear item that will be changed out 2-3 times or more in a season).

Anyone found something like this and willing to share the link so I can buy 2-3 sets for the R? I can source the rear rotors and pads, and front pads are easy to get as well.

Thanks! (Pics and videos for interest)

Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap Slotted (not drilled) front rotors for the FK8?? MdNlL1lL_Q4IrZKLt8uQhm5HcYrhV7SpPkriPDMZBSiCtuXs7YIKShMpMt6-cFXgDtJKhToMCS9vyr0tA=w1498-h1044-no
Sponsored

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
If you're tracking then it's not cost of rotor, it's cost of rotor divided by number of track days it will last. I hear Girodisc is good and it should last a lot of days. (For the GT4 OEM rotors last 12-15 hard track days, girodisc will last 25+). Also with floating rotors you only need to replace the rotor, not the hat. Long term it's a good investment. A two-piece shouldn't need to be changed 2-3 times in a season as you state.

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Centric drilled 120 rotors for but for $76 on tirerack, you'd have to go through 10 sets of these to equal the cost of 1 set Girodiscs.. i bought a set and will try them this season. Buy two and if you see cracks going to the edge swap them out at the end of a track day.

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bra...Model=Civic+Type+R&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=
The only downside I see with these is that the fine print says: "Note: (Front) Drilled vented rotor. OE Style Drill Pattern."

If it wasn't drilled I'd 100% agree. Since it is drilled, you're right, you'd probably still save some money at those prices, but it wouldn't be worth it to me to replace so often. (not drilled probably last twice as long, at least)

rnh204

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR #8445 | 2010 Porsche 911 GT3RS (Track Car) | 2014 Infiniti QX80 (Family Tow Car) | 2013 Trailex CT-84180 (Trailer)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know but since there's no cost effective slotted or plain rotor solution yet, this is the next best thing since the OP wants to get to the best solution at the the lowest price. I have had good luck with centric rotors. I had them on the rear of my GT3 and they would last an entire season (20+ track days most open track), plus they only cost $100 per side. Granted the rear doesn't take as big of a beating.

I think to keep the cracking down the biggest culprit is actually the brake pad. PFC08 had my rotors (giro and centric) cracking after 2 days on the GT3. When I switched to Ferodo DS111 cracks did not appear until 8+ days..

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Understood. I ran several sets of centric on my WRX, they work (slotted though, not drilled). Interesting on the brake pad, I also run DS11.1 on my GT4, they're great!

It's a trick to find good cheap rotors. I remember how with the 2004 GT3s there weren't good inexpensive rotors marketed for the car, but, cayenne rotors fit and had a lot of very cheap solid rotor options. So a lot of the track people started running Cayenne rotors on front!

OP
OP
dominican

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea I did find those drilled rotors on Tire rack for the Type R, can't believe there aren't any other choices except for the super expensive gyrodisk! While the gyrodisk are nice, I'm not going to gain seconds off my lap because I'm running it, and since my racing is wife sponsored, I need to be cost effective.

I'll buy two sets from tire rack, hopefully someone finds cheap slotted or blanks soon, I spent 10 hours searching, only to find websites offering Si disks for the Type R.....

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea I did find those drilled rotors on Tire rack for the Type R, can't believe there aren't any other choices except for the super expensive gyrodisk! While the gyrodisk are nice, I'm not going to gain seconds off my lap because I'm running it, and since my racing is wife sponsored, I need to be cost effective.

I'll buy two sets from tire rack, hopefully someone finds cheap slotted or blanks soon, I spent 10 hours searching, only to find websites offering Si disks for the Type R.....
Braking is one area that many can gain alot of time in a lap. The upgrade to Girodisc is good for more than just lasting longer. They save weight to reduce rotating mass as well as more consistent brake performance and more stopping power.

kalsonc

First Name
Kalson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR FK8R
Country flag
i've contacted stoptech/centric - they have no plans to make a slotted rotor for the fk8

maybe if we can get enough interest and someone has enough pull with them - can get them to make slotted

or even ebc..

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
So, I'm stockpiling parts for the 2019 track/race season. I have a large parts bin already in the shed ready to be installed (IC, DP, FP, Engine mount, Radiator) and 16 200 TW tires and a set of hoosiers mounted to wheels as well.

What I need is to stockpile cheap slotted (or even just vented) front disks for the R. Right now, I'm only seeing slotted and drilled (not ideal) OEM (not ideal and expensive) or two piece (stupid expensive for a wear item that will be changed out 2-3 times or more in a season).

Anyone found something like this and willing to share the link so I can buy 2-3 sets for the R? I can source the rear rotors and pads, and front pads are easy to get as well.

Thanks! (Pics and videos for interest)

MdNlL1lL_Q4IrZKLt8uQhm5HcYrhV7SpPkriPDMZBSiCtuXs7YIKShMpMt6-cFXgDtJKhToMCS9vyr0tA=w1498-h1044-no.jpg
I used to track a millennium yellow c5 z06 just like that in the video. I would buy autozone blanks for like $70 a pop 15 years ago. Tracking that car was so cheap, I was able to go cross country and do track days every weekend because wear and tear items were so cheap. They would only show signs of cracking with certain pads and on very very hot days (mostly out west). That’s when I learned to use the temp paint and would do more cool downs if I saw it start to get too hot.

Cracked rotors kill. On the track a cracked rotor will send you into the wall.

For the R just go get the absolute cheapest if you plan on tracking every weekend in the summer. Replacing them more frequently will be key.

But if your only going out a few times and think two sets are only ever what you’d go through get the more expensive rotor blank and test out how strong they really are.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Understood. I ran several sets of centric on my WRX, they work (slotted though, not drilled). Interesting on the brake pad, I also run DS11.1 on my GT4, they're great!

It's a trick to find good cheap rotors. I remember how with the 2004 GT3s there weren't good inexpensive rotors marketed for the car, but, cayenne rotors fit and had a lot of very cheap solid rotor options. So a lot of the track people started running Cayenne rotors on front!
Yeah I used to see that, they were cheap and disposable. That’s why I really don’t understand how the more expensive rotor option if your doing a lot of track days.

OP
OP
dominican

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Braking is one area that many can gain alot of time in a lap. The upgrade to Girodisc is good for more than just lasting longer. They save weight to reduce rotating mass as well as more consistent brake performance and more stopping power.
Hey Jason, we've spoken via email ([email protected]). I agree - saving 5 pounds of weight does help track performance, but as an aspiring racer, all costs come out of my pocket at the moment, and those costs add up QUICKLY! I think 3-4 sets at 80 bucks each (or around 300 bucks) will cover the season pretty well for now. Maybe next year I'll be able to spring for the Girodisk (or hopefully we get slotted and ventilated cheap disks :)

Reach back out when you get the chance, would love to chat some more.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
go with girodisk.. the stig in socal has track them 8 times without having to change out the rotors.. i think he is still going..

stock rotors on his car gave out after 2-3 track days.. warped real quick... he said he loves the girodisk. when i asked him he was on his 9th track day on the original gyrodisk and we were at type-r expo in thunderhill.

you are better off investing in girodisk then multiple rotors.. thats just my take
This is the kind of stuff I want to know about. First thing people bring up is the weight.
I could care less about the weight if it barely outlasts the stock blanks.
Nice to see so much life in them.

JTPitsch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' M2, 18' CW CTR, 20' Civic Si
Country flag

If you go here: https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/4517_2018+Honda+Civic+Type+R/_/5_Brake+Rotors there are a whole assortment of good cheap rotors.

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag