cheap short ram! (plus UK/gundo exhaust mod)

suckmyhatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Hatchback
I had some free time to tinker with my sport hatch. Had an old AEM dryflow filter laying around and since I wasn't ready to shell more than $100 for an air intake system, I planned to hack the maf housing/intake top cover to accommodate the cone filter. I ordered the top cover part# 17210-5AA-A00 for under $17 at hondapartsnetwork.com picked up for free.
IMG_20180412_235622.jpg
Hacked it with my Dremel just leaving enough space for the filter to securely attach to the maf housing.
IMG_20180413_101029.jpg IMG_20180413_101357.jpg IMG_20180413_101012.jpg
I also left one of the top bolt for support attachment.
IMG_20180413_101824.jpg
Also rotated the "accordion" hose so it's aligned straight.
IMG_20180413_102158.jpg
IMG_20180412_234733.jpg
Let me know what you guys think. Cost is $17 for the top cover, filter is free (probably $40-50 new).
This would be a great mod for me being that my car is leased not bought, do you think its doable without hacking any pieces up? Like maybe buying a small piece to go between the filter and the MAF? i have a spare cone filter laying around from my 04 Audi that blew up on me :/
Sponsored

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This would be a great mod for me being that my car is leased not bought, do you think its doable without hacking any pieces up? Like maybe buying a small piece to go between the filter and the MAF? i have a spare cone filter laying around from my 04 Audi that blew up on me :/
You have to hack it up; the MAF housing is integrated into the top of the airbox.

OP
OP
blksprthtchbck©
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
You have to hack it up; the MAF housing is integrated into the top of the airbox.
This...and if you have the base 1.5t/sport, should be less than $20. The only other thing you have to modify is the orientation and cutting tiny aligning tabs of the intermediate tube so it's angled differently. Add an aluminum bracket for support.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
If you end up making a box to put over the filter to reduce heat soak, do not use metal of any kind. That will make it worse. Use a hard plastic polymer, because polymer doesn’t heat soak. Skunk2 has pretty good success rate with the 8th and 9th gen cold air intakes. Just a thought!

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but I know it wasn't much of a drastic change. I actually just did a resonator delete and it sounds pretty badass :thumbsup:
Wasn't being sarcastic at all, wanting to do the same thing . Do you have the vid after the resonator delete? I have an Si and interested of doing this mod also, thanks.

OP
OP
blksprthtchbck©
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not the best recording but you can definitely hear the difference. Haven't washed so hatch is filthy but here you go >

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
cool beans. I got the air cleaner top cover on the way, just need to grab a filter. I didn't know what my old 2002's AEM V2 filter size was, but after looking at it about an hour ago, realized it was far too large. lol. That sucker has a 3.5" flange ID

What are you making the enclosure out of?

OP
OP
blksprthtchbck©
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
cool beans. I got the air cleaner top cover on the way, just need to grab a filter. I didn't know what my old 2002's AEM V2 filter size was, but after looking at it about an hour ago, realized it was far too large. lol. That sucker has a 3.5" flange ID

What are you making the enclosure out of?
Thats huge lol.

I'm using a 1/8" thick abs plastic sheet

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, just did this mod. Definitely noticeable change in sound (which is what I was really aiming for). Butt dyno tells me there's a bit more oomph to her, but then again, that may be placebo effect.

2.25" filter flange is far too small. Couldn't even finagle the thing on. I made it work, however, by using my old AEM V2 intake throttle body coupler: large side on the hacked up MAF housing, small end on the outside of the AEM dryflow flange.

I'll take pics this weekend once I clean up the install. It's kinda ugly right now.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As promised, here's my installed pic:
Honda Civic 10th gen cheap short ram! (plus UK/gundo exhaust mod) e6DLpND

My aluminum bracket, I painted with some high temp BBQ grill paint and coated with some VHT satin clear ceramic engine paint (oven cured the ceramic clear). I also tapped the hole with a M5-0.8 tap so it rests on my bracket and screws into it.

The filter I used is an AEM DryFlow (p/n 21-200DK -- 2.25" flange), and so I had to clamp the coupler (2.75" to 2.5") on the filter flange. I had my doubts about the filter being on there solid because it's being clamped onto (instead of onto a pipe), so I did a yank test on the filter. That sucker isn't going anywhere.
OP said he uses a 2.5" flange, and that DryFlow filter p/n is 21-201DK.

My thoughts on it:

Sound is definitely there: air suction, turbo spool, and BPV sounds are all audible now. I had my buddy (he drives a 16 EX-T) drive it to give me feedback. As he drove away, my car was definitely a hair louder, as if I had a nice, but subtle exhaust on there. My other friend that I've let drive my car before (she's not a car person) also noted that it "sounded way cooler," and even though she hasn't gotten on the throttle, that it picked up a bit faster. 3 butt dynos with possible placebo effect is all I'm chalking it up to. lol. I did it for the sound, truth be told, and I got what I wanted out of it. No noticeable loss down low, possible gain (but I'm not counting on it) in the mid-high range.

Am I counting on any power gains? No. Do I expect it to keep up with the likes of PRL or 27WON? No. Did I get the sounds I wanted? Hell yes. I spent $70 out of pocket ($30ish shipped for the intake cover, $30ish out of pocket from AutoZone bc gift card for the filter -- otherwise $60, $7 for the aluminum flat stock, $3 for some mounting bolts) and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

Thanks OP for the DIY guide

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just updating because I decided to do a DIY SRI V2. I'll post pics and results after i put a good amount of miles through it to determine structural reliability and whatnot.

Long story short, I bought a 2.75" flange diameter dryflow filter, 2" ABS coupler from home depot, and affixed the coupler to the hacked up MAF housing. 4 days going and it's held strong, so maybe next weekend I'll show the fruits of my labor
Sponsored