Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
I know there are a few of these around, but I think this is the best method in terms of materials and longevity.

Total cost of materials used is probably about $0.50 lol.

Essentially, this (or something similar) is what you want to buy: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-...x-2-ft-R-5-Insulation-Sheathing-PP1/203553730

I tried this with a few different materials, but a lot of foams will compress over time and the rattle will just come back. If the material is too rigid it'll either transmit the vibrations to the entire deck, or just fall out. This stuff is dense enough to not deform, but still foam-y enough to absorb vibrations and stay put once in.

Materials needed:
- Knife
- Electrical Tape
- Foam Insulation Board

Cut out a wedge from the foam; dimensions are shown in picture. I trust the American friends can use Google to convert:
Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam l5tpUpN

Wrap the whole thing in electrical tape. This is so you don't get purple shit all over your trunk when you wedge it in, and also it looks far better in black than purple lol. It's important to have the tape in the orientation shown below so it doesn't pull/rip when you wedge it in:
Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam zsV37ea

Wedge the wedge in the space between trunk chassis and 3rd brake light:
Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam KxhIEa3

Here it is, not yet fully in. Play some loud obnoxious music at volumes you wouldn't normally listen to. Keep pushing the wedge in until there's no more. At final position mine is about 75% inside:
Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam CB9IVH1

Done!

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nice. There are so many different fixes users have found on their own yet Honda still hasn't issued an official one.

rdabellano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 BMW 135i, 2013 Subaru WRX STI, 2009 Honda Civic LX
I know there are a few of these around, but I think this is the best method in terms of materials and longevity.

Total cost of materials used is probably about $0.50 lol.

Essentially, this (or something similar) is what you want to buy: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-...x-2-ft-R-5-Insulation-Sheathing-PP1/203553730

I tried this with a few different materials, but a lot of foams will compress over time and the rattle will just come back. If the material is too rigid it'll either transmit the vibrations to the entire deck, or just fall out. This stuff is dense enough to not deform, but still foam-y enough to absorb vibrations and stay put once in.

Materials needed:
- Knife
- Electrical Tape
- Foam Insulation Board

Cut out a wedge from the foam; dimensions are shown in picture. I trust the American friends can use Google to convert:
Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam l5tpUpN

Wrap the whole thing in electrical tape. This is so you don't get purple shit all over your trunk when you wedge it in, and also it looks far better in black than purple lol. It's important to have the tape in the orientation shown below so it doesn't pull/rip when you wedge it in:
Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam zsV37ea

Wedge the wedge in the space between trunk chassis and 3rd brake light:
Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam KxhIEa3

Here it is, not yet fully in. Play some loud obnoxious music at volumes you wouldn't normally listen to. Keep pushing the wedge in until there's no more. At final position mine is about 75% inside:
Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam CB9IVH1

Done!
I just wanted to say thank you for this! I just finished doing this, and turned up the volume, no more rattling, just like how I want it.

rdabellano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 BMW 135i, 2013 Subaru WRX STI, 2009 Honda Civic LX
Mine is stil holding up as well

OP
OP

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Yup - I think the density of the foam is key here; softer foams will deform/compress and become inefficient over time; this stuff won't, and will hold up.

sravanz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic
Yup - I think the density of the foam is key here; softer foams will deform/compress and become inefficient over time; this stuff won't, and will hold up.
Bad news.. morning there is no rattle.. I parked out side my work and its hot today.. Afternoon rattle is back when i was going out for lunch.. I parked inside garage during lunch and it became normal.. any recommendations?

OP
OP

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Bad news.. morning there is no rattle.. I parked out side my work and its hot today.. Afternoon rattle is back when i was going out for lunch.. I parked inside garage during lunch and it became normal.. any recommendations?
Jam it in further? I park outside in heat everyday when I work and I haven't noticed any change.

tandjent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Cosmic Blue
Country flag
Built this little wedge a week ago just as you showed and jammed it in. Worked like a charm!

Steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Would this help on a Civic with an aftermarket sub? Car rattles like crazy

valvofolife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Can hardly wait to try this. Rattle not heard much from front seat but horrible when sitting in back seat.

bhead9318

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Oh my goodness... THANK YOU @inv4zn!!! I bought the foam from the home depot link you provided, cut it to the 70x70x30x10 dimensions, covered it in electrical tape, shoved it up in my 3rd brakelight and VOILA! it works beautifully! The rattle is COMPLETELY gone! Turned the volume up to 30 on Drake's 'Best I Ever Had' (shoutout to your homeland @inv4zn) and the sound system almost made me cry it was so beautiful. Thank you again @inv4zn, let's pray this fix lasts a while! Picture below of the wedge shoved up in there - it truly is the 3rd brakelight making a majority of the rattling.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap, Permanent Touring Rattle Fix - Insulation Foam 20160809_192742

Here's some videos of how it sounds now, EQ settings in the video descriptions:

Sponsored