Cheap Exterior Paint??

EADGBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EXL Hatch
I've owned several Hondas over the years as well as some other brands. As much as I love Hondas I do think their paint thickness/durability is not on par with many other manufacturers.
Sponsored

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2013 Accord had 28,000 km when I traded it in for a 2016 Civic, and the hood/bumper were riddled with paint chips, and the sides, no matter how careful I was on the highway/city.I also had 2 cracked windshields within 10,000 km of each other (again, from stones). It was part of the reason I traded it in so soon.

My 2009 Malibu (had it before the 2013 accord), while mechanically it sucked my bank account dry, the body and paint were solid.

2016 Civic, so far have 3,000 km on the ODO and nothing so far (knock on wood), though at 500 km I had a rock fly at me and hit the windshield, left a very tiny indent in the glass which I can't even see unless I really look for it (can't see it at all from the interior). Otherwise, just the defective paint I've mentioned in another thread, which the bumpers are going to be repainted, so it doesn't matter to me. Hood is super clean. I have the Aegean Blue.

I'll probably look into paint protection once my bumpers come back re-painted by Honda. But seriously, their paint warranty should cover the stone chips. Out of all vehicles I have seen and/or owned, Honda has the thinnest paint by far, and for the premium we pay for these cars, it's unacceptable.

ichii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe and 2011 CR-Z
Country flag
My 2013 Accord had 28,000 km when I traded it in for a 2016 Civic, and the hood/bumper were riddled with paint chips, and the sides, no matter how careful I was on the highway/city.I also had 2 cracked windshields within 10,000 km of each other (again, from stones). It was part of the reason I traded it in so soon.

My 2009 Malibu (had it before the 2013 accord), while mechanically it sucked my bank account dry, the body and paint were solid.

2016 Civic, so far have 3,000 km on the ODO and nothing so far (knock on wood), though at 500 km I had a rock fly at me and hit the windshield, left a very tiny indent in the glass which I can't even see unless I really look for it (can't see it at all from the interior). Otherwise, just the defective paint I've mentioned in another thread, which the bumpers are going to be repainted, so it doesn't matter to me. Hood is super clean. I have the Aegean Blue.

I'll probably look into paint protection once my bumpers come back re-painted by Honda. But seriously, their paint warranty should cover the stone chips. Out of all vehicles I have seen and/or owned, Honda has the thinnest paint by far, and for the premium we pay for these cars, it's unacceptable.
Same here with the 2 Hondas I owned so far both paint are really cheap and thin. I do a lot of Highway driving so every time I wash my car I see a chip and a tear drops

RockyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima SXL, 2015 Honda CRV EX, 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2003 Lancer Evolution
Oh tell me about it.. I've seen like 20 new civics all within eye contact of the other drivers and nobody gives a shit lol, I saw one woman driving a white touring and I was turning and she was at the light opposite to me and I smiled and waved and she gave me a big smile back. That's the best I've got lol
Ive had a few Si's, RSX type s and a 370z among many other cars but those 3 were good for friendly waves and nods from other drivers of the same car.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh tell me about it.. I've seen like 20 new civics all within eye contact of the other drivers and nobody gives a shit lol, I saw one woman driving a white touring and I was turning and she was at the light opposite to me and I smiled and waved and she gave me a big smile back. That's the best I've got lol
Most people are too wrapped up in their own thoughts to notice what kind of other cars are on the road. Having said that, I will say my green Coupe seems to get more waves, nods, and smiles that any other car I've had.

Last edited:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny thing is same dude pulls in front of me about a mile or so before I get to work today, so he's right in front of me. I intentionally follow him in the parking lot and park right next to him, try to catch his eye so we can talk about the car for a moment. Completely oblivious. I was like, forget it...then I looked inside and saw the interior was already completely trashed. I think he's had it a month or so?...why buy a new car and just treat it like its a POS? How can you clearly not care about your brand new car?...

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most people are too wrapped up in their own thoughts to notice what kind of other cars are on the road. Having said that, I will say my green Coupe seems to get more waves, nods, and smiles that any other car I've had.
True that, I'm sure. I've had a good number of people that know what's up stare at my car. The rubbernecking effect.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...then I looked inside and saw the interior was already completely trashed. I think he's had it a month or so?...why buy a new car and just treat it like its a POS? How can you clearly not care about your brand new car?...
Probably a rental or company car....or both. Or he's just a nasty idiot. Plenty of those.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Probably a rental or company car....or both. Or he's just a nasty idiot. Plenty of those.
Nope. I'm a Fed, so its not a company car, and he's had it at least a month or two, he just doesn't care. I've also noticed everyday that its always dirty, like he's never even washed it. In 2 years it'll look like shit...sad...its a Touring too.

He's definitely just a nasty idiot. He looks like a slob lol.

He should have bought a Corolla.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i think it cheap paint or bad application or both. but i'm no expert.
wonder if this is why they tried to push a paint scratch/chip/dent policy on me.

Last edited:

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nope. I'm a Fed, so its not a company car, and he's had it at least a month or two, he just doesn't care. I've also noticed everyday that its always dirty, like he's never even washed it. In 2 years it'll look like shit...sad...its a Touring too.

He's definitely just a nasty idiot. He looks like a slob lol.

He should have bought a Corolla.
When I walk through the parking lot at work, I'm always kinda blown away by how little people look after their cars. I know for some people, a car is just a means of getting from point A to point B. But still, have a little pride in your investment. I see cars that are only 5 years old with peeling, bubbling and faded paint. Rust. Unrepaired dents and window cracks. When it rains, It feels like my car is the only one that shows evidence of a coat of wax on the paint.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I walk through the parking lot at work, I'm always kinda blown away by how little people look after their cars. I know for some people, a car is just a means of getting from point A to point B. But still, have a little pride in your investment. I see cars that are only 5 years old with peeling, bubbling and faded paint. Rust. Unrepaired dents and window cracks. When it rains, It feels like my car is the only one that shows evidence of a coat of wax on the paint.
It completely amazes me when people drive cars with cracked windshields and crap all over the place neglecting the exterior/interior of a car. It took me over a month to convince my fiancée to wash her Cruze that hadn't been washed since last fall. It's riddled with paint chips on the sides and she barely cares. Oh well, at least it isn't my car. I wash mine every week and a half, wipe it down every 2 weeks, and vacuum once a month. It'll keep me from having to do a complete detail every year.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen some lady with her Sienna with the front end completely torn up for over a year, no care in the world to fix it, and it's fairly new. Lots of other cars with random damage, peeling paint, peeling tint, bald tires, mismatched rims, etc...some people are like "Eh, it drives!" and have zero pride. Granted, majority of us here are car guys, but still.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It completely amazes me when people drive cars with cracked windshields....
Sometimes people can't afford to get a new windshield every time it gets cracked. And most deductible amounts are more than a new windshield, thats why some people just leave it. As long as its not ubstructing your view, it's no big deal anyway.

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
My 2016 has four stone chips on the hood after only four weeks! My 2012 Civic's paint was more durable.
I have 2 small like rock hits down near the fog light area...I had a problem with this in my BMW Z3 but since low to the ground it seems to happen...Boo..:(...That will be a deal breaker if the paint doesn't hold up..will get rid of it before warranty goes.. I hope not really love this car....
Sponsored