Charging system problem after horn install

silence911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rally Red Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Hello,

I installed my new horns (hella super tone) and everything was working fine, until I put everything together, now my horns don't work and I get an error message saying "charging system problem". I was wondering if anyone has any advice to help me with this problem.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We would need more information of how you installed the horns before being able to give you advice.

Did you use a relay?
Did you use the factory horn wiring?
Did you disassemble anything to install the horns?
Did you disconnect the battery during your install?

OP
OP

silence911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Hello,

I installed my new horns (hella super tone) and everything was working fine, until I put everything together, now my horns don't work and I get an error message saying "charging system problem". I was wondering if anyone has any advice to help me with this problem.

Thank you.
It's the fuse 100% it broke. I had this problem check the fuse for the horn. It should be a 10 amp one.

When a fuse breaks that charging system problem pops up.

OP
OP

silence911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yea I checked, it was the fuse. I put in another fuse, and it was blown immediately. I think it might be the wirings are rubbing and shorting out. I'll take the front bumper off this weekend and see if anything is wrong with the wirings.

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea I checked, it was the fuse. I put in another fuse, and it was blown immediately. I think it might be the wirings are rubbing and shorting out. I'll take the front bumper off this weekend and see if anything is wrong with the wirings.
Or you may have horns that need more than 10 amps. Did you check those specs on the horns? Pretty sure I saw a couple of reviews that stated these operate above 10amps, so you'll need at least a 15a fuse - probably supplied the proper fuse and a relay with it.

Last edited:

Vinsmoke

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It's the fuse 100% it broke. I had this problem check the fuse for the horn. It should be a 10 amp one.

When a fuse breaks that charging system problem pops up.
Which fuse is it? I installed foglights and the battery light came out and charging system error.

logan5

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I followed the instruction for wiring from this post

http://www.civicx.com/threads/any-diy-guides-on-replacing-the-horn.1155/page-4#post-52948

I did not use a relay
I did not use the factory horn wiring except for the plug connected to the car
I did not disassemble anything but the bumper to install the horn
I did not disconnect the battery
Step one when working on any aspect of the electrical system of a car: Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Which fuse is it? I installed foglights and the battery light came out and charging system error.
Not sure which car you have but fog light fuses are in the engine bay. If you open fuse box and look behind the cover it’ll tell you which is the fog light fuse. Also do fog lights still work? If they do it’s probably another fuse.

Vinsmoke

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Not sure which car you have but fog light fuses are in the engine bay. If you open fuse box and look behind the cover it’ll tell you which is the fog light fuse. Also do fog lights still work? If they do it’s probably another fuse.
It is under the hood in the engine bay. I have a 2017 Civic Type R, Fog lights works. I think it was due to a weak/bad battery. I had the battery recharged at my local advance auto parts store and the battery light went away. I haven't drove the car yet, hopefully this weekend and hopefully no battery light or charging system error. Thanks.
Sponsored