Charging system error. Just had rockford fosgate subwoofer p500-12 installed.

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
So I have an error message see below. I searched countless threads.

I read some folks have said it means alternator issues or a blown horn fuse?

I called my AAA and they cleaned my wires and said its a good battery

2 days before I had installed the rockford fosgate p500-12. By tint world in florida.

Do I need a bigger battery?

Do i need some special relay?

Could my subwoofer blown fuses?

The tint world tech mentioned:

He had the car running and the car died while testing the subwoofer, but I figured it was the corroded ends that caused the issue.

My next step is to check the fuses after work.

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Honda Civic 10th gen Charging system error. Just had rockford fosgate subwoofer p500-12 installed. 20200917_201912
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Load test your battery.... have them check the charging system (free at an auto parts store)

Idle your car with the powered sub off. Check battery voltage w/a multimeter. Turn on sub. Monitor voltage with a multimeter. If you can’t maintain voltage... your alternator at idle cannot supply enough amps to maintain it.

OP
OP
purpandbass

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
Load test your battery.... have them check the charging system (free at an auto parts store)

Idle your car with the powered sub off. Check battery voltage w/a multimeter. Turn on sub. Monitor voltage with a multimeter. If you can’t maintain voltage... your alternator at idle cannot supply enough amps to maintain it.
Would a bigger cell battery help with the idle load?

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
Did they install the P500-12P correctly? are they using the smart turn on or the remote turn on?

Your car is a 2016 like mine and when I upgraded my sounds sytem I was testing with in car ACCESSORY mode and killed the battery and i bought a battery with a higher Cranking Amps, i think take your battery to pepboy or something and get a second opinion.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
most likely human error when installing the sub, wires etc, double check connections, cables

OP
OP
purpandbass

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
Did they install the P500-12P correctly? are they using the smart turn on or the remote turn on?

Your car is a 2016 like mine and when I upgraded my sounds sytem I was testing with in car ACCESSORY mode and killed the battery and i bought a battery with a higher Cranking Amps, i think take your battery to pepboy or something and get a second opinion.
I am not questioning the skill of the service everything is flushed and looks nice. I thought maybe I need a bigger battery to hold a bigger charge. I bought the car last year and ilI have never changed the battery. I had the battery tested and it tested good.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I am not questioning the skill of the service everything is flushed and looks nice. I thought maybe I need a bigger battery to hold a bigger charge. I bought the car last year and ilI have never changed the battery. I had the battery tested and it tested good.
my stock battery lasted for 4 years, sitting outside, playing loud music, I did have a Hannibal 15 inch sub and amp in it for a short period of time, my OEM battery never died, and that was 4 year old OEM battery... I recently got a new one because it is died after sitting for 5 months

OP
OP
purpandbass

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
my stock battery lasted for 4 years, sitting outside, playing loud music, I did have a Hannibal 15 inch sub and amp in it for a short period of time, my OEM battery never died, and that was 4 year old OEM battery... I recently got a new one because it is died after sitting for 5 months
Do you have an error message for charging system?

OP
OP
purpandbass

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag

How much voltage should is be holding at idle?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
14-ish volts. A fully charged lead acid battery at rest is about 12.7v. You’re charging system has to be greater than this to keep your battery fully charged.
If you don’t have a multimeter you can kind of do all this at a auto parts store. I mention it again simply because it’s free.

Your alternator is likely just not putting out enough amps at idle. You can validate this as well if you check voltage and it’s down in the 12-13v range at idle and if you give it some gas while stationary to, say, 3000 RPMs and the voltage comes back up around 14. Your alternator only puts out a portion of its rating (can’t remember what it is off the top of my head. 100-130A is probably about right). 100A=1300W at 13v... but the car has its own electrical needs (fuel pump, displays, ECU, plugs, injectors, AC blower, lights, etc) it also had to to use for.

OP
OP
purpandbass

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
14-ish volts. A fully charged lead acid battery at rest is about 12.7v. You’re charging system has to be greater than this to keep your battery fully charged.
The battery tested good yesterday.
If you don’t have a multimeter you can kind of do all this at a auto parts store. I mention it again simply because it’s free.

Your alternator is likely just not putting out enough amps at idle. You can validate this as well if you check voltage and it’s down in the 12-13v range at idle and if you give it some gas while stationary to, say, 3000 RPMs and the voltage comes back up around 14. Your alternator only puts out a portion of its rating (can’t remember what it is off the top of my head. 100-130A is probably about right). 100A=1300W at 13v... but the car has its own electrical needs (fuel pump, displays, ECU, plugs, injectors, AC blower, lights, etc) it also had to to use for.
If i drive the car without sub on and the notification dissappears. Its safe to say I need a bigger battery?
I will still validate the idle volts

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The battery tested good yesterday.

If i drive the car without sub on and the notification dissappears. Its safe to say I need a bigger battery?
I will still validate the idle volts
Unlikely. The alternator is what powers everything. The battery provides power to start the car and to operate your accessories for a short time until it dies. It does provide some voltage buffering to prevent voltage from dipping out badly. If your battery does pass a load test, then if your alternator was overloaded at idle, it would prop the voltage up a bit... but batteries have their own voltage droop under heavy load as well. The lower capacity/worse shape (internal resistance) the battery is... the worse the droop.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
How much voltage should is be holding at idle?
The alternator output voltage can be variable in the range of 12.5V to 14.5V. The PCM commands the alternator to output a voltage in that range depending on operating conditions.

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
The alternator output voltage can be variable in the range of 12.5V to 14.5V. The PCM commands the alternator to output a voltage in that range depending on operating conditions.
You may need a Higher Amperage alternator..
Sponsored