Charging system error. Just had rockford fosgate subwoofer p500-12 installed.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
if that amp is drawing more than your alternator can supply when the amp is at idle (no sound), then something is seriously wrong.
The amplifier should draw less than a couple of amps worst case just sitting there.
The amplifier drawing a lot of current indicates that it is working very hard.
Is the amplifier hot?
Is the speaker hot?
Sounds like the amplifier is oscillating at maximum power.

No way should any amplifier be pulling your alternator down that low when the amplifier is at idle..
Either your amplifier is damaged, or the installer damaged your charging system.
Sponsored

OP
OP
purpandbass

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
if that amp is drawing more than your alternator can supply when the amp is at idle (no sound), then something is seriously wrong.
The amplifier should draw less than a couple of amps worst case just sitting there.
The amplifier drawing a lot of current indicates that it is working very hard.
Is the amplifier hot?
Is the speaker hot?
Sounds like the amplifier is oscillating at maximum power.

No way should any amplifier be pulling your alternator down that low when the amplifier is at idle..
Either your amplifier is damaged, or the installer damaged your charging system.
Yellow top optima battery fixed all my problems. The alternator test at 14.3+ volts. Alternator is good, just needed a big ? battery.

OP
OP
purpandbass

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
Load test your battery.... have them check the charging system (free at an auto parts store)

Idle your car with the powered sub off. Check battery voltage w/a multimeter. Turn on sub. Monitor voltage with a multimeter. If you can’t maintain voltage... your alternator at idle cannot supply enough amps to maintain it.
Yellow top optima battery fixed everything all codes disappear ed.

OP
OP
purpandbass

purpandbass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Honda Civic EXL
Country flag
So the amp was causing the charging error when running wide open or idle?
I believe the amp drained the battery sitting at lights or while stopped at stop signs and such. The battery tested 'Good' but I read on a couple of articles that oem batteries test good sometimes even when they don't hold a large enough charge. The car also starts faster than before l.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I believe the amp drained the battery sitting at lights or while stopped at stop signs and such. The battery tested 'Good' but I read on a couple of articles that oem batteries test good sometimes even when they don't hold a large enough charge. The car also starts faster than before l.
So you were running the amp loudly during those times?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Might check that battery’s voltage at rest over time and see if it’s losing ground as the alternator is still not fully charging it. It’s should be making plenty of current when you’re driving but sitting at idle might be a bit of a problem... and having a healthy and better-than-OEM battery might simply mask a charging system that can’t keep up.

Won’t bite you until you’re sitting at idle for an extended period with the amp doing its thing. Cycling an automotive battery in this manner may make it not last long as they don’t take to cycling well... those those Optima batteries are pretty good compared to run of the mill lead acid batteries.

Glad to hear you’re in better shape. Good luck! :thumbsup:

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
..maybe a deep cycle version? Just a thought..

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Batteries are used to crank the car.
Alternators run any electrical devices and charge the battery.
Unless of course the alternator dies then the battery runs the car as long as it can.
A larger ampacity battery may be supplementing the capability of the alternator.

My solution is to use the amp to below the alternators' limit. if the amp is causing a problem with your cars electrical system then like the "SPL" pros you need a larger alternator.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That's weird, cause I have an AudioControl LC 1.800 that I ran at 800w for quite a few months, although I don't have a sub hooked up to it rn. Then again, I also have a yellow top cause my factory battery was dog shit from the beginning :rolleyes:. I never had this issue but my voltage does drop from 14.4 to like 14.2 every time a note hits.

edit: I do want to get a bigger alternator, though. I will eventually I just personally don't wanna swap it out lol
Sponsored