Charger cord, bad usb device

Gryeyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
All of a sudden my charging cord won't work in the usb plug under dash on left side. It won't charge, only charges on right plug. The dealership first said I didn't know what I was talking about, then blamed it on the cords and then the phone. Because the technician said his phone charges fine, its my problem. I showed them my plugs charge fine on the right side but not on the left. Finally the guy says it must just be the data part of the cord. But why all of a sudden did it stop working? Is there a special charging cord that will work on the data portion? I have an Iphone and have used Apple cords and different brand of cords. Any suggestions? What about a magnetic cord, would that work?
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Reboot the head unit and see if that solves the problem.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Because the technician said his phone charges fine, its my problem.
Telling you what I tell all our customers: Honda recommends you use only Apple brand cables, aftermarket cables do not guarantee proper functions. Please ensure any cable you are using is not damaged in any way, no frayed cords, no cracked connectors etc. I get a lot of customers who swear up and down it's the car's fault only for me to get in to find a cable chewed by a dog lol. If it is charging on the 1.0A side but not the left 1.5A side, you either have a cable issue (99% of the time) or you have a damaged USB port. The tech did good by verifying the complaint though, if his "known good" cable is charging his phone and connecting with the audio unit, it's not the car. Only other failure at that point is the cable or the cable compatibility.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Throw away that cable, get a good one. You actually went to the dealer service before trying another cable? :hmm: Is this the only cable you owned? :rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1: I have about two pounds of phone cables of various lengths, colors, thicknesses, led lights, designs..... and that's after tossing those that didn't work. Btw. there are a multitude of cheap and not so cheap cables sold that are total junk. They usually work initially, and then they crap out.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
In addition... whenever I suspect that a cable is bad; I always cut it in half before I toss it in the trash. Back in my studio days; we'd spend a bunch of time chasing down a problem, isolate it to a wonky cable, and toss it in the trash only to have someone come along later and say "oh, look... this must have gotten misplaced" and put it back in service.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Telling you what I tell all our customers: Honda recommends you use only Apple brand cables, aftermarket cables do not guarantee proper functions. Please ensure any cable you are using is not damaged in any way, no frayed cords, no cracked connectors etc. I get a lot of customers who swear up and down it's the car's fault only for me to get in to find a cable chewed by a dog lol. If it is charging on the 1.0A side but not the left 1.5A side, you either have a cable issue (99% of the time) or you have a damaged USB port. The tech did good by verifying the complaint though, if his "known good" cable is charging his phone and connecting with the audio unit, it's not the car. Only other failure at that point is the cable or the cable compatibility.
Try as I might ... those darn Apple cables won't work with my Samsung ...
(just trying to be funny ... no insults or hurt feelings intended)

ackamens

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
hello... if you are dead ass sure that you have a faulty or damaged usb port (the 1.5A port)...what's the best course of action???

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
hello... if you are dead ass sure that you have a faulty or damaged usb port (the 1.5A port)...what's the best course of action???
If you were dead ass sure you had a bad USB port I would dead ass change the USB port socket and go back to spittin mad fyre out your system again yo.
Sponsored