Changing Shift knobs on CVT automatic?

Ronin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone have any clue or ideas if the shiftknobs on automatics are replaceable or changeable? Thanks
Sponsored

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone have any clue or ideas if the shiftknobs on automatics are replaceable or changeable? Thanks
They can be changed out, but you need to buy a adapter to use a aftermarket shift knob

riotgeardog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback, Sport Touring
I'm also very curious to the more specific nature of the deconstruction of the shifter. I don't wanna have to buy a shifter assembly to play with before taking apart my own haha

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
It's a big, hollow metal rod, with a small plastic button that sits inside the hole, on top of a spring, with a metal extension.

When you press the button on the OEM shift knob, the metal extension pushes down on the plastic button, releasing the shift lock.

It's not hard to change, but as stated, may require fiddling around.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Check this thread out for pics on how to remove the auto shift knob.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/ex-l-items-for-lower-models.1497/page-2#post-24308

So the shift knob went as expected..very easy.

Tools needed:
Phillips head
Thumbnails

Time 10-15 minutes

On the select lever there's a silver trim ring between the knob and the boot. On the ring are two raised indicators. If viewed from above they'd be in the 3 and 9 o'clock position.
Honda Civic 10th gen Changing Shift knobs on CVT automatic? image_zpso0wqcfjh

Directly below these indicators hidden inside the boot are two tabs on the base of the knob. These basically hold the silver trim ring up.
Honda Civic 10th gen Changing Shift knobs on CVT automatic? image_zpskgxf5wh

Feel through the boot and locate the two tabs. Pinch both tabs with one hand while pressing down on the trim ring with your other hand. The trim ring will slide down. You can see in the first picture how the trim ring is separated. The bottom mounting screw is now exposed.

Next you're going to remove the black plastic cover plate from the front of the knob. It's held by two tabs located near the bottom of the cover. This picture shows the location of the tabs. This is where you'll want to place your thumbnails.
Honda Civic 10th gen Changing Shift knobs on CVT automatic? image_zpsdhl2uq0u

Insert a thumbnail on each side between the cover and the knob. Gently push forward towards the dash.The cover will pop off. The top mounting screw is now exposed. Here's a shot of the tabs inside the cover as well as the two mounting screw holes on the knob.
Honda Civic 10th gen Changing Shift knobs on CVT automatic? image_zpsjdvc27tf

I used a stubby Phillips head to remove the two screws holding the knob on. Once the screws are removed the knob will simply slide up and off.
Honda Civic 10th gen Changing Shift knobs on CVT automatic? image_zpscvekapwf

From this point everything is basically the reverse.
Add new knob and reinsert screws.
Pop plastic cover back on.
Slide silver trim ring up until it clicks in place.
Honda Civic 10th gen Changing Shift knobs on CVT automatic? image_zps3txurzh5

vladucard

First Name
Caspian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Apologies to revive this old thread but has anyone changed their knob? If you have, could you explain how and share some pics? Thanks!

vladucard

First Name
Caspian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you very much! I swear I did a youtube search and got nothing. Your youtube-fu is amazing!

vladucard

First Name
Caspian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, this is what I ended up doing (I don't have pictures because I haven't received the items and my car, unfortunately, is at the shop due to being rear ended. However, once I receive the items, I'll be able to share a picture of the items and how it will hopefully be set up.

I bought the following:

Speed dawg adapter
https://www.speeddawg.com/universal-automatic-shifter-adapter-black/

Thread adaptor
https://www.speeddawg.com/metric-thread-shift-knob-adapter-kit-3-sizes/

10x1.50 Threaded Great Ball (Pokemon) knob (like the true 30 going on 9 child I am. Also, the link here is not the one I purchased since it's a 10x1.25...I'm just sharing it for reference!)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/POKEMON-RA...724810?hash=item238638cd0a:g:hWoAAOSwn-tZNvOo

The shifter adapter's threading is 16mm x 1.50 which is not the size I needed for the Great Ball. Luckily, speed dawg sells an adapter kit with multiple sizes which will fit the shifter adapter and allow me to change the size and (hopefully) use different threaded sized shift knobs. This is about a $50 investment, which isn't too bad.

My only issue with this set up is the boot. As seen in the video, the clips that hold the boot up are built into the OEM knob. By changing it to this set up, I will now need to find a way to modify the boot. A friend suggested removing the boot, but I'm not sure if that's something I want to do. In fact, if anyone has any hints, please, please, feel free to share! I am open to ideas!

Anyway, This is the solution I found to the original inquiry in this thread, I hope it helps other people too!

inc0gnito

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
So, this is what I ended up doing (I don't have pictures because I haven't received the items and my car, unfortunately, is at the shop due to being rear ended. However, once I receive the items, I'll be able to share a picture of the items and how it will hopefully be set up.

I bought the following:

Speed dawg adapter
https://www.speeddawg.com/universal-automatic-shifter-adapter-black/

Thread adaptor
https://www.speeddawg.com/metric-thread-shift-knob-adapter-kit-3-sizes/

10x1.50 Threaded Great Ball (Pokemon) knob (like the true 30 going on 9 child I am. Also, the link here is not the one I purchased since it's a 10x1.25...I'm just sharing it for reference!)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/POKEMON-RA...724810?hash=item238638cd0a:g:hWoAAOSwn-tZNvOo

The shifter adapter's threading is 16mm x 1.50 which is not the size I needed for the Great Ball. Luckily, speed dawg sells an adapter kit with multiple sizes which will fit the shifter adapter and allow me to change the size and (hopefully) use different threaded sized shift knobs. This is about a $50 investment, which isn't too bad.

My only issue with this set up is the boot. As seen in the video, the clips that hold the boot up are built into the OEM knob. By changing it to this set up, I will now need to find a way to modify the boot. A friend suggested removing the boot, but I'm not sure if that's something I want to do. In fact, if anyone has any hints, please, please, feel free to share! I am open to ideas!

Anyway, This is the solution I found to the original inquiry in this thread, I hope it helps other people too!
The boot is held onto the clip by a zip tie. You MIGHT be able to clip it without removing whole assembly but spacing is minimal to work with. Love the pokeball :D Was going to do pokeball/dragonball it still might later on once I tire of the cf knob.

vladucard

First Name
Caspian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for that! Once I get the hatch back, I'll be able to play with it a bit more with it.

BTW, I got all the parts I spoke about and realized that I did not need the thread adapters at all! I can just screw on the great ball to the shift adapter without any issues. To be honest, I'm not very knowledgeable in this stuff so It was a trial an error thing that ended up working out in the end :D:D