Changing instrument panel color

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Ohh yeah. My car has the Garmin GPS built in it.
I just figured all trim levels would also do this when using Google maps.
Sponsored

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I'd love to change the disgusting yellow needle on my cluster.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Ohh yeah. My car has the Garmin GPS built in it.
I just figured all trim levels would also do this when using Google maps.
I think something must be up as I don't have a touring and I DO get the turn by turn in my instrument cluster with both Waze and Google Maps.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I believe the Instrument panel is lighted with FIXED color LED lighting, so there is no way to change it's color, unless you take it all apart, and put different color led lights in it.
It is a theme that is reserved for the different trims. The Si for instance, gets red. All the other sedans with a full LCD center display get blue.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
It is a theme that is reserved for the different trims. The Si for instance, gets red. All the other sedans with a full LCD center display get blue.
Yes, but in theory, one could swap out the Leds with whatever color you wanted :)
(but would involve careful soldering, and voiding any warranty !!!)

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
The speedo needle on the type r is a yellowish color with red background. I hate yellow and red together.
My partner drives a Type R never really noticed it. But I think the red theme suites the Type D rather well.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
Yes, but in theory, one could swap out the Leds with whatever color you wanted :)
(but would involve careful soldering, and voiding any warranty !!!)
not on the LCD center module, maybe the temp and fuel gauges on the sides

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, but in theory, one could swap out the Leds with whatever color you wanted
The color IS the screen. The LEDs behind it are all white. It is a little TV in your console.

If someone has the non LCD display like in the US LX-P model, then ya, that is light bulbs and stuff to fuss with.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
The color IS the screen. The LEDs behind it are all white. It is a little TV in your console.

If someone has the non LCD display like in the US LX-P model, then ya, that is light bulbs and stuff to fuss with.
You will find , if you take one apart, that it is only the CENTER of the Instruiment panel that is a LCD screen. The Gauges and indicators on each side are Hardware, Mechanical gauges, and lights lit by led lighting.
Sames goes for the RED top lighting, that lights up on the Si, when you go to SPORTS mode - that is also a led light.

What is impressive, is that it is not obvious with just a casual look, , which parts of the total instrument panel is the LCD screen, and which is not. Honda did a good job in making it all seem like one continuously matching instrument panel.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Gauges and indicators on each side are Hardware, Mechanical gauges, and lights lit by led lighting.
Sames goes for the RED top lighting, that lights up on the Si, when you go to SPORTS mode - that is also a led light.
Sure sure. That I know. The issue is that if someone wants the whole red theme, that can't be achieved without changing out the whole console. That screen theme is not accessible unless HondaHack gets a lot more capable.

Although, I am pretty sure the temp and fuel are LCD in behind those slits.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
not on the LCD center module, maybe the temp and fuel gauges on the sides
Correct .. and the center LCD display is controlled by a MicroProcessor in the instrument display, that is hard programed, to do its display function, without any user options to change the overall color.
You are stuck with what it is -- it would actually be easier to change the outside color of the car, than to change the LCD color scheme !!

On a related topic: (my opinion and personal commentary)
What is not obvious, or advertised as being a missing feature on aftermarket Head Unit replacements, is that the center of that LCD display can display a PIP image from a video source, that is a second video output from the head unit. This is what gives you information like what music is playing on the head unit, along with artwork etc.

I am not aware of any other Aftermarket head unit that has that 2nd "digital" Video output, that is programmed to supply the correct video information to display as a Picture-in-picture the Honda Instrument panel.

Note: Both Video outputs from the Honda Head unit are DIGITAL, ( 1 for the main display, one for the PIP Instrument Panel input) -- neither are the analogue composite video found on most, if not all, aftermarket units.

The head unit is something that Honda had "CUSTOM designed and manufacture" many years ago, custom for their cars (probably at great expense), - Custom hardware, and Custom Software, which may be why they continue to use it for as long as they can, and it is "adequate" to meet their needs, rather than getting a whole custom new unit designed, with more modern, faster electronics and software. -- but they are going to have to do a major update soon... the unit, as we all know, is a dinosaur, and certainly will not be acceptable into the 2020's.
The Honda head unit is, by modern standards, OBSOLETE.. it is massively over engineered, and expensive to manufacture and assemble. (it is amazing how many screws are need to assemble all its layers together !!)- Typical of Japanese designs for the 80's & 90's !!
Sponsored