SourPatchIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Energy Green 2019 Honda Civic Touring Coupe
Country flag
Bear with me please. I have a 2016 civic with a CVT transmission and would love to change up the shifter a bit. I have purchased a new knob already and it is designed for an automatic with a push down gear release. I believe I have the right adapter to fit it to the stick. I'm sure the stock boot collar won't be compatible with the new knob, and I don't like the plain leather anyways. My plan is to deconstruct a stock boot so I have a pattern, and then sew a new one out of some different fabric to fit my aesthetic. However, I'm not sure how I go about connecting the fabric to the stick/knob.
And if someone could please inform me on how to remove the stock knob. I've watched videos, used different tools, and had friends try, but I can't get the clips under the indications of the collar to release!
To sum it up into two questions:
How do I get a custom sewn boot to attach to an aftermarket shift knob?
How do I release the two clips under the indicator marks on the stock boot collar?
Honda Civic 10th gen Changing CVT shifter boot and knob shift knob

This is the one I purchased
Sponsored

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Simple search found this: EX-L Items for Lower Models | Page 2 | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com

So the shift knob went as expected..very easy.

Tools needed:
Phillips head
Thumbnails

Time 10-15 minutes

On the select lever there's a silver trim ring between the knob and the boot. On the ring are two raised indicators. If viewed from above they'd be in the 3 and 9 o'clock position.
image_zpso0wqcfjh.jpg

Directly below these indicators hidden inside the boot are two tabs on the base of the knob. These basically hold the silver trim ring up.
image_zpskgxf5whp.jpg

Feel through the boot and locate the two tabs. Pinch both tabs with one hand while pressing down on the trim ring with your other hand. The trim ring will slide down. You can see in the first picture how the trim ring is separated. The bottom mounting screw is now exposed.

Next you're going to remove the black plastic cover plate from the front of the knob. It's held by two tabs located near the bottom of the cover. This picture shows the location of the tabs. This is where you'll want to place your thumbnails.
image_zpsdhl2uq0u.jpg

Insert a thumbnail on each side between the cover and the knob. Gently push forward towards the dash.The cover will pop off. The top mounting screw is now exposed. Here's a shot of the tabs inside the cover as well as the two mounting screw holes on the knob.
image_zpsjdvc27tf.jpg

I used a stubby Phillips head to remove the two screws holding the knob on. Once the screws are removed the knob will simply slide up and off.
image_zpscvekapwf.jpg

From this point everything is basically the reverse.
Add new knob and reinsert screws.
Pop plastic cover back on.
Slide silver trim ring up until it clicks in place.
image_zps3txurzh5.jpg