Changed spark plugs, car now breaks up under boost, misfires, and dies with engine code p0344 (Camshaft position sensor)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With that many miles, I would not be trying to hit max boost. The cars not new anymore and I'm sure you dont want a catastrophic failure. Drive it like an old man.
I'm sorry but...
Honda Civic 10th gen Changed spark plugs, car now breaks up under boost, misfires, and dies with engine code p0344 (Camshaft position sensor) giphy

...it's a 3 year old car with about 100k miles. That's worn in... not worn out.

The car was fine... after a plug change it wasn't. The problem was the plugs... not the rest of car.

Thinking you can't go WOT on a 3-4 year old 115k mile car with decent compression and reach full boost is just silly. I'm personally not a fan of Autolites as a cheaper alternative to an OEM NGK-plug... but properly gapped Autolites are better than knock-off ebay plugs. It may be some plug-snobbery on my part... but in looking at reviews, it seems like a lot of folks use Autolites as a non-OEM cheap alternative and leave negative reviews about poor performance... even with claims they were gapped properly. I've never tried buying a 75% cheaper branded plug off ebay... but that sounds like it'd be in the too-good-to-be-true category. For near-stock cars... I'd always go with OEM plugs... but that's me. Still, anything else is introducing a variable that may not work out and require re-work... especially for those of us that will only be changing them every 5-10 years. doing 10-20k miles a year.

@Physical... if it were me, I'd still get a new set of OEM plugs to put in... or at least pull and read those Autolites midway between now and 200k, assuming you're going to keep the car until the next time they're due. Their electrodes erode a little as they're used and gaps will open over time. You can regap it back to min-spec to keep it in spec through the plugs' life if it's going out of spec at the 1/2 way point. If you're gapping on a near-stock car... you always want to gap at min-spec, as they'll open through use. If you gap at max spec... they'll open further and that'll put you out-of-spec during their life.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Physical

First Name
Avery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well... I have bad news. The autolites failed, in a pretty bad way.
Honda Civic 10th gen Changed spark plugs, car now breaks up under boost, misfires, and dies with engine code p0344 (Camshaft position sensor) 20200504_173220

This is the plug my shop pulled out of cylinder 1. Notice anything missing? That's right, the porcelain cracked and broke off, fell into the cylinder, jammed itself between the piston ring and the sleeve, and gouged a hole through it. Cylinder 1 now holds 33 pounds of compression. The engine is trashed.

My shop said most likely that plug was dropped in shipping or at the autozone. Either way, I have a 2017 civic with a blown engine for sale in case anyone's interested...

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well... I have bad news. The autolites failed, in a pretty bad way.
20200504_173220.jpg

This is the plug my shop pulled out of cylinder 1. Notice anything missing? That's right, the porcelain cracked and broke off, fell into the cylinder, jammed itself between the piston ring and the sleeve, and gouged a hole through it. Cylinder 1 now holds 33 pounds of compression. The engine is trashed.

My shop said most likely that plug was dropped in shipping or at the autozone. Either way, I have a 2017 civic with a blown engine for sale in case anyone's interested...
Terrible news. Sorry to hear it. There are options for repair/replacement... but none are going to be inexpensive.