Si Changed out the stock Transmission Flulid for 75W-90 and TBH I think was a good idea

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Had several recommendations both on this forum and from other 10th gen owners and repair techs to drain the Honda MTF and put in some 75W90 and I am glad I did. When I drained the tranny it was like water literally that stuff is so thin and after putting in two quarts of Sta-Lube 75W90 Gear Oil (Yes it is GF-5 and labeled as safe for use in Manual Transmission and for LSD and Hypoid type Diffs and all that). Really as far as shifting, power, gas mileage I see no difference but its got to be lubricating the tranny better than the stock Honda fluid. Also noticed a nice glittery look of metal bits when I drained the fluid but seeing as its only got 700 miles on it I assume that is from the break in and maybe the few times I ground the gears a bit getting used to the new car. LOL

Anyway, thought I would share.
Sponsored

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm not so sure you should venture that far from Honda's recommended spec trans oil. Running a thicker oil has the problem that it doesn't like to circulate as well and has a harder time getting into the really tight tolerances.

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I'm not so sure you should venture that far from Honda's recommended spec trans oil. Running a thicker oil has the problem that it doesn't like to circulate as well and has a harder time getting into the really tight tolerances.
I did an experiment I had drained and switched to the 75W90 Gear Oil yesterday and saw your post so today I went to Honda and picked up 2 qts of the Honda MTF. I drained and refilled with the Honda stuff and maybe its placebo effect but I think it is shifting better now than with the original fluid in it as well as when I put the gear oil in it. I do not think they used the same stuff in the factory fill that I got today. Part No. 08798-9031. Its just labeled Honda MTF but it says "New Advanced Formula" and I think the parts counter guy said something about "Type 3" anyway...The stuff they sold me at the dealership had a pink tinge to it. It only cost me $8 bucks a quart too!!! Honda MTF it is I guess. At least they can not give me a hard time if I have warranty claim down the road on the tranny.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In the older civic transmissions ( 92-00) i used Torco MTF without any problems also with a Mfactory helical LSD.It would be way better if our transmission had a oil pump and a cooler that makes the oil last longer.
The 2016 Civic Type R (FK2R) has a MTF cooler from factory.I always wondered if that transmission had a oil pump and why they never used it on the fk8...?

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
In the older civic transmissions ( 92-00) i used Torco MTF without any problems also with a Mfactory helical LSD.It would be way better if our transmission had a oil pump and a cooler that makes the oil last longer.
The 2016 Civic Type R (FK2R) has a MTF cooler from factory.I always wondered if that transmission had a oil pump and why they never used it on the fk8...?
Luckily and maybe why they did not put a tyranny cooler on the Civic Si is that its pretty easy to drain and refill the fluid unlike with CVT or most sealed Automatics these days. You could do it every Oil Change if you wanted though probably not need unless you really drive hard and pound on the gear box but its $16 bucks for two quarts of Honda MTF so I am gonna do it at least every 10K
Sponsored