Changed MTF to Amsoil Synchromesh, I am Happy!

Yal

New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Well, we are neighbors! I live between Penatencia Creek and McKee, a few blocks from Golf Rd and Gridley. Unfortunately the best I have been able to get is 30 this winter. Summer I was averaging 36
I’m right here with you off Toyon. I haven’t seen your car let alone other Si’s. There is a CTR at the corner of Toyon and San Pablo. There’s a coupe across the street on the other side of Toyon, but i don’t think it’s an Si
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I’m right here with you off Toyon. I haven’t seen your car let alone other Si’s. There is a CTR at the corner of Toyon and San Pablo. There’s a coupe across the street on the other side of Toyon, but i don’t think it’s an Si
I'm not too far, I'm on Genine Ct. If you see a black Si coming down Golf to White Rd or going down Capital in the morning, it's most likely me dropping my son off to school before I head to work. I have only seen a handful of 10th gen Si's so it's probably me.

I almost bought a house in 2015 on Toyon. You are not too far from the Alum Rock park entrance

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I changed mine today too after progressively more resistance and a double 'clunk' when going in gear. Cars about 1.5 years old and around 12k miles. Old fluid came out a little discolored with some obvious wear sediment immersed in it making it less transparent... but it didn't look or smell concerning.

New fluid in and it's at least as good, if not better than it was new. Had the transmission felt the way it had ended up feeling, I wouldn't have bought the car. I actually quit a test drive when I looking at cars due to a bad feeling transmission.

More torque than I was expecting on both the fill and drain bolts initially and the fluid drained rather messily when it came out... but quicker than an engine oil change. More time to remove and reinstall the cover than to do the fluid change itself... and a lot easier to get to the fill than on my RSX.

If you're unhappy with the feel of your transmission and are thinking if doing anything else other than this... I'd start here first and go from there. Ever manual Honda I've had with the OEM fluid has felt awful until changed, and Amsoil is the best I've found out if 2 or 3 others... and retains cold weather shifting performance where thicker gear lubes can be practically unusable in the cold.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well, I changed mine today too after progressively more resistance and a double 'clunk' when going in gear. Cars about 1.5 years old and around 12k miles. Old fluid came out a little discolored with some obvious wear sediment immersed in it making it less transparent... but it didn't look or smell concerning.

New fluid in and it's at least as good, if not better than it was new. Had the transmission felt the way it had ended up feeling, I wouldn't have bought the car. I actually quit a test drive when I looking at cars due to a bad feeling transmission.

More torque than I was expecting on both the fill and drain bolts initially and the fluid drained rather messily when it came out... but quicker than an engine oil change. More time to remove and reinstall the cover than to do the fluid change itself... and a lot easier to get to the fill than on my RSX.

If you're unhappy with the feel of your transmission and are thinking if doing anything else other than this... I'd start here first and go from there. Ever manual Honda I've had with the OEM fluid has felt awful until changed, and Amsoil is the best I've found out if 2 or 3 others... and retains cold weather shifting performance where thicker gear lubes can be practically unusable in the cold.
Changing out the OEM MT fluid to Amsoil definitely did the trick for me. Much smoother shifting, smoother transmission. I would recommend to everyone on their first oil change to do this. It's been a few months since changing and it's all good so far.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Changing out the OEM MT fluid to Amsoil definitely did the trick for me. Much smoother shifting, smoother transmission. I would recommend to everyone on their first oil change to do this. It's been a few months since changing and it's all good so far.
I concur. In fact, i’ve had another 2tqs ordered and will be changing fluid againat around 20k on it. UOA for used amsoil tranny fluid to come :)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I concur. In fact, i’ve had another 2tqs ordered and will be changing fluid againat around 20k on it. UOA for used amsoil tranny fluid to come :)
I was getting a little unhappy with the transmissions feel. Now? Just about perfect.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I was getting a little unhappy with the transmissions feel. Now? Just about perfect.
Same here. I really just want to look for the oil looks on the UOA as far as wear metals go. Semi-scientific Curiousity on top of peace of mind lol

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Same here. I really just want to look for the oil looks on the UOA as far as wear metals go. Semi-scientific Curiousity on top of peace of mind lol
I look forward to seeing the analysis!

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
For Honda extended warranty, all I have to do is to keep the receipts, right?
So, in this case, I will have to keep the receipt from the Amsoil MTF purchase.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For Honda extended warranty, all I have to do is to keep the receipts, right?
So, in this case, I will have to keep the receipt from the Amsoil MTF purchase.
That's correct. If there is ever a failure that is fluid related (defective fluid), Amsoil warranty will apply. You can check their website for details

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
For the past year and three months, I have been dealing with extremely notchy gears from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. I will definitely try this out as I have read that Amsoil Synchromesh has worked wonders for many people. I hope this works out for me too. Will also add a Skunk 2 weighted shift knob to the mix.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For the past year and three months, I have been dealing with extremely notchy gears from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. I will definitely try this out as I have read that Amsoil Synchromesh has worked wonders for many people. I hope this works out for me too. Will also add a Skunk 2 weighted shift knob to the mix.
Amsoil Synchromesh will help with the notchiness, but it won't completely go away. The notchiness is on purpose to let you know that you are in gear. It will smooth your shifting so it will go in gear smoother making the notchiness less pronounced. The weighted shifter will help

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Amsoil Synchromesh will help with the notchiness, but it won't completely go away. The notchiness is on purpose to let you know that you are in gear. It will smooth your shifting so it will go in gear smoother making the notchiness less pronounced. The weighted shifter will help
X2. It greatly reduces shifting effort and prevents you from having to give it much force to get it into gear. You can feel it... but instead of a dissatisfying 'clunk clunk' feeling that's kind of plasticy... it's just a smooth engagement. My 9th gen Si and RSX all did the same thing and took the same light Honda MTF. Just like this car, the 9th gen started out good but got notchy in a hurry. I don't see why it should go to this so soon... I think the MM listing on Honda's website showed a check/change at 30k miles. Honda's MTF has always been a consistently poor performer for me.

Last edited:

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
X2. It greatly reduces shifting effort and prevents you from having to give it much force to get it into gear. You can feel it... but instead of a dissatisfying 'clunk clunk' feeling that's kind of plasticy... it's just a smooth engagement. My 9th gen Si and RSX all didn't he same thing and took the same light Honda MTF. Just like this car, the 9th gen started out good but got notchy in a hurry. I don't see why it should go to this so soon... I think the MM listing on Honda's website showed a check/change at 30k miles. Honda's MTF has always been a consistently poor performer for me.
That is a great description. I am definitely not happy with the "clunk" sounds I get. I think about 15% of my shifts are smooth engagement. The rest of the 85% are always clunky and not smooth. Will keep it into consideration, thanks!

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
wait a minite, you ised the amsoil synchromesh 5w30, correct?

not the amsoil 75w90 mtl?
Sponsored