Changed MTF to Amsoil Synchromesh, I am Happy!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Amsoils website offers a 20$ a year or 10$ for 6 months to get a exclusive purchase account. When i buy through them now, i save significant amount compared to buying from a dealer or online else where. I buy engine oil, tranny oil, and radiator fluid from them.
Yes, I saw that if you become a preferred member you get discounts and free shipping purchasing Amsoil products. Thing is I use for engine oil Indemitsu Zepro, which is formulated for turbocharged DI engines, and a 5 quart container is a lot cheaper than Amsoil's gallon container (4 quarts), even with the discount. And with changing my oil around 7 or 8K miles, which is basically twice a year, as well as Amsoil recommending the MTF change at 30 to 50K (which is probably every 2 years in my case), it's not worth it to me paying the $20 a year
Sponsored

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One of the things I wanted to see was how well the Amsoil Synchromesh performed cold. This morning it was 40 degrees F (yes, that is cold in California!), and the shifting was very smooth. It was defnietly smoother than the factory fill, and of course got smoother as the transmission warmed up. There was very little hesitation, I was quite happy! I can't wait for the summer months when I take the car out to Southern Cal so I can see how it performs under a lot of heat and load

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I've used this Amsoil MTF in another car. I just bought 2 qts for the Si. I'm at 26k miles, including some autocrossing, and the car needs a fluid change for sure

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've used this Amsoil MTF in another car. I just bought 2 qts for the Si. I'm at 26k miles, including some autocrossing, and the car needs a fluid change for sure
In my opinion, this is exactly what the car needed. Now it is really enjoyable to drive, I'm really loving it every time I get behind the wheel. Even at low speeds I just creep along in second gears so smoothly. Amsoil says you can go 50k miles between changes, all the way to a maximum of 150k, while OEM recommends 30k all the way to 60k max

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
One of the things I wanted to see was how well the Amsoil Synchromesh performed cold. This morning it was 40 degrees F (yes, that is cold in California!), and the shifting was very smooth. It was defnietly smoother than the factory fill, and of course got smoother as the transmission warmed up. There was very little hesitation, I was quite happy! I can't wait for the summer months when I take the car out to Southern Cal so I can see how it performs under a lot of heat and load
Sorry to disappoint you, but it doesn’t perform as good during hot months. Last summer here in south texas was pretty warm and it hate to say it but for me it shifted not a whole a lot better than oem fluid. But once it cooled off - oh my, butter, pure irish butter. Love the car. Anyhow, that was my experience, let’s see what this summer brings.
P.S. it still is 100times better than OEM fluid

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry to disappoint you, but it doesn’t perform as good during hot months. Last summer here in south texas was pretty warm and it hate to say it but for me it shifted not a whole a lot better than oem fluid. But once it cooled off - oh my, butter, pure irish butter. Love the car. Anyhow, that was my experience, let’s see what this summer brings.
P.S. it still is 100times better than OEM fluid
If it is 100 times better than OEM, then I have nothing to look forward to except happiness! Luckily our summers are mild compared to yours, so I might have better luck. BTW, Amsoil claims to perform well up to 300 degrees F

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
If it is 100 times better than OEM, then I have nothing to look forward to except happiness! Luckily our summers are mild compared to yours, so I might have better luck. BTW, Amsoil claims to perform well up to 300 degrees F
Idk, it’s just weird that every time i drive the car during summer months transmission feels so different. Like one day it shifts like shit - notchy, takes effort to get in the gear. Next like HEB organic butter. Very inconsistent. Perhaps it’s just my like, not sure. Anyhow, looks like my hatch loves both 5w30 amsoil engine and tranny fluid. Great fluids for a great car

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Idk, it’s just weird that every time i drive the car during summer months transmission feels so different. Like one day it shifts like shit - notchy, takes effort to get in the gear. Next like HEB organic butter. Very inconsistent. Perhaps it’s just my like, not sure. Anyhow, looks like my hatch loves both 5w30 amsoil engine and tranny fluid. Great fluids for a great car
Ha ha funny you mentioned HEB. When I travel to our San Antonio office HEB is my go to place before I go to the hotel. The store is the size of Costco

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Off topic.
How is Amsoil engine oil compared to Honda OE oil? If I order Amsoil MTF, I might as well order the engine oil
BTW. Who makes Honda engine oil?

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Off topic.
How is Amsoil engine oil compared to Honda OE oil? If I order Amsoil MTF, I might as well order the engine oil
BTW. Who makes Honda engine oil?
You may hear different opinions but here’s my experience: my 1.5T never seen a different oil buy Amsoil SS two OCI with 0w20 and now i’m on the 3rd fill of 5w30. Ran UOA for all the fills and weat numbers with 30weight are super low. With my driving pattern i can easily go 7-8K on the oil and analysis confirmed it. With that said, i’m very happy with this oil in my car and never bothered looking for anything different. All right of my UOAs are in database.

Honda OEM oil is made by Conoco Phillips

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
I really wanted to try out Synchromesh after reading this thread but after speaking with a buddy of mine who would be doing the fluid swap for me, he told me to stay away from any non-OEM fluids for the trans. He said that if the trans shits the bed and you do a warranty claim, Honda will sample the fluid in the trans and if it's not the OEM fluid, they will deny your claim.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I really wanted to try out Synchromesh after reading this thread but after speaking with a buddy of mine who would be doing the fluid swap for me, he told me to stay away from any non-OEM fluids for the trans. He said that if the trans shits the bed and you do a warranty claim, Honda will sample the fluid in the trans and if it's not the OEM fluid, they will deny your claim.
What are the odds tranny will all of the sudden shit the bed? I mean, you’re putting in the fluid produced by a well known and respected manufacturer and thinking it will blow up all of the sudden? This is plain dumb, it really is. To each it’s own though

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is not true. According to Amsoil, Honda cannot deny repairing or replacing your trans if there is a defect in the transmission except if the fluid causes the defect. If the fluid causes the defect than Amsoil will cover you under their warranty. You can find this information on their website

https://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx

Now let's say you were to put in the wrong fluid, such as gear oil etc or you were to put in 20W50 in your engine when they recommend 0W20, that would be another story

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
That is not true. According to Amsoil, Honda cannot deny repairing or replacing your trans if there is a defect in the transmission except if the fluid causes the defect. If the fluid causes the defect than Amsoil will cover you under their warranty. You can find this information on their website

https://www.amsoil.com/warranty.aspx

Now let's say you were to put in the wrong fluid, such as gear oil etc or you were to put in 20W50 in your engine when they recommend 0W20, that would be another story
Good to know. I guess I'll be using Amsoil for both my engine and trans when I get my car serviced next.
Sponsored