Changed MTF to Amsoil Synchromesh, I am Happy!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I know this thread is more than a year old, but I want to add my name to the list of those who found a huge improvement over stock fluid. I changed the MT fluid to Amsoil in both my 2017 Si and 2013 Accord Sport V6 (6 speed manual). It didn't change shifting very much, but it made the transmission engagement smoother. A lot smoother. I can 100 percent tell the difference as I've been using Honda MT fluid in my Accord since 2013.

Lets talk about the notchy or "clunk" when engaging the gears in the Si. Amsoil, or GM synchromesh or whatever is not going to fix that. The only thing that is going to fix the shifting is the Acuity Adjustable short shifter kit https://acuityinstruments.com/products/10th-gen-civic-acuity-adjustable-short-shifter. I was not a fan of this shifter, especially engaging 1st to 2nd, 3rd to 4th, and occasionally 5th to 6th, but this is what actually fixes the shifting experience. My 2013 Accord has a great shifter, It sucks that they didn't carry that over to the 10 gens

Nice write up OP, I read up a few negative reviews of Amsoil from some others here, I'm glad I listened to you and tried it. BTW, it looks like you sold your Si, are you still active on the forum?
Hello. I sold my Si September of last year and bought a 2010 Lexus IS350 Sport. I'm more involved now on clublexus, but still keep contact with some of my CivicX friends. I'm glad my posts are still helping others. I continue use Amsoil, last year I changed out my rear differential with Amsoil gear oil and soon will be changing my AT fluid with Amsoil ATF.

Come by and check me out on clublexus when you get a chance, my username is the same. You can check out my latest mods on my Lexus build page
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Howdy SI Forum,
I was looking at the Amsoil website, put in the 2020 Civic SI information and nothing came up for Transmission Fluid. Is there something I'm missing? What should I be looking for?
Sorry for the newbie post, I'm interested in changing the trans fluid. I had an S2000 many moons ago and after changing to GM Synchro Mesh, it was night and day. I like the idea of Amsoil for the trans.
I'm not even done breaking in the motor but I am a firm believer in quality fluids!
Cheers,
It will work in your transmission as well. Same transmission as 17 through 19, just slightly shorter gearing

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
Or just spend less and get AC delco MTF with friction Modifier( Old GM Syncromesh) or Redline MTF. I've run Amsoil 5w30 and the MTF it's over rated for the price you pay.

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
Hello. I sold my Si September of last year and bought a 2010 Lexus IS350 Sport. I'm more involved now on clublexus, but still keep contact with some of my CivicX friends. I'm glad my posts are still helping others. I continue use Amsoil, last year I changed out my rear differential with Amsoil gear oil and soon will be changing my AT fluid with Amsoil ATF.

Come by and check me out on clublexus when you get a chance, my username is the same. You can check out my latest mods on my Lexus build page
IS350 is a nice ride! My wife has a GX460, on long trips its a pleasure. I'll consider Amsoil when I do the diff and AT swap. She doesn't drive it much these days as she works mainly from home. I will check out your build page!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Or just spend less and get AC delco MTF with friction Modifier( Old GM Syncromesh) or Redline MTF. I've run Amsoil 5w30 and the MTF it's over rated for the price you pay.
It's like $16 x 2 plus .50 for the crush washer every 50K to 150K change intervals, so it's not like your breaking the bank. But I've heard good stuff about GM Synchromesh, so you can go that route as well. As far as Redline MTF, I've heard lots of negative reviews

YankeeSi

First Name
jerad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 si sedan
Country flag
I change my fluid every 25k, the ac delco is noticeably smoother at 11$ a quart. As far as negative reviews and redline oil who’s your sources lol.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I change my fluid every 25k, the ac delco is noticeably smoother at 11$ a quart. As far as negative reviews and redline oil who’s your sources lol.
Back in 2018 there were several members on this forum that told me they tried Redline MTF and it was worse than Honda MTF. I Also saw several reviews on Amazon that were negative at the time. I'm not saying it doesn't work, I personally never tried it, but when I hear from more than 5 people say something negative about a product, I'm reluctant to try it. As far as Amsoil, I know 100 percent from experience that it works, many thousands of us on the Lexus forum use it in our differentials (synthetic gear oil), and for $5 more dollars a quart and something that we are changing every 100K, the extra $5 is not even an issue. As far as GM Synchromesh, I've heard nothing but good things about it so I have no issues or arguments if someone recommends it only thing being I've never used it

Last edited:

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Year and 3 month update. Well, I finally had to change it. Starting to get crunchy gear changes. It went 60k (kms) so double Honda MTF. Back to smooth as new. Overall, worth it. It is still thick in the winter, so slow gear changes until the trans warms up.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Year and 3 month update. Well, I finally had to change it. Starting to get crunchy gear changes. It went 60k (kms) so double Honda MTF. Back to smooth as new. Overall, worth it. It is still thick in the winter, so slow gear changes until the trans warms up.
You got amsoil or Honda mtf before the replacement?
Sponsored