Change to performance clutch before installing downpipe and front pipe?

Chrizniz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
Hey all! So I recently changed my catback exhaust for my civic si ‘19 sedan. I decided to go with 27WON’s catback, but I held back on the front pipe and and down pipe due to financial setbacks. Well, lately now I’m looking into buying the rest of the exhaust by November. However, my mechanic had suggested that I would change my stock clutch to a performance clutch before installing my DP and FP by 27WON. He said the reason why I should change my clutch, was because after he installs the dp and fp, he would feel safer if i had a performance clutch swapped in first in order for me to get a stage 2 tune and put my civic on a dyno (which I haven’t done yet). He said this would avoid any complications with the transmission itself as I start getting more power gains from the stage 2 tune and the dyno. I currently have a stage 1 tune by KTuner that was installed by my mechanic when I swapped out the catback. Other mods I currently have is the Mishimoto intercooler with piping, along with the K&N Typhoon CAT. So, what do you guys think? Should I swap out the clutch before getting a tune and DP and FP?
Sponsored

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
While you don't necessarily need a new clutch just for a DP/FP,+Ktuner, you'll probably want a new clutch for stage 2.

You can probably run stage 2 with all your mods on your stock clutch but it will probably slip pretty soon after that depending on your driving habits if it's not slipping already.

I'd recommend spending the extra money and go the oem+ route and try to get your hands on type r retro fit clutch

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
By stage 2 do you mean ethanol? If you have all intentions of pushing your car that much might as well get clutch first. If no ethanol I would stick with stock clutch for as long as possible. Clutch options for our cars are horrible. Type r is awesome but crazy expensive and I believe currently sold out.. maybe not I’m not keeping track. There’s also competition clutch which seems promising but it’s brand new so not much info. But judging off of derftuned Instagram he’s managed to keep stock clutches from slipping while still getting good power on the dyno. Also I believe some people on this site have said they are still on stock clutch while making some good power.

OP
OP
Chrizniz

Chrizniz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you guys. Yes it is an ethanol tune and I was looking into the clutch masters fx350. I called clutch masters and they recommended I’d go with this clutch to be on the safe side if I’m going to be adding more power. Any other recommendations from you guys would help.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you guys. Yes it is an ethanol tune and I was looking into the clutch masters fx350. I called clutch masters and they recommended I’d go with this clutch to be on the safe side if I’m going to be adding more power. Any other recommendations from you guys would help.
If you're planning on going more power after stage 2 like bigger turbo I highly recommend getting the type r clutch from Eman. FX clutches will definitely hold up but nowhere near as long, I have a friend that actually just recently switched out his FX to Type R, also I've seen some other people say their FX clutches started slipping 40-60k. But then again, that's all dependent on your driving habits and I'm sure you can make it last if you go that route

OP
OP
Chrizniz

Chrizniz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m revisiting this thread. It’s now November, and 27WON is having a Black Friday sale this week. So excited and I hope I’m able to purchase their dp and FP once the sale begins. I’m still a little undecided on the clutch tho. I tried looking for the type r retro clutch by eman, but it looks like it’s sold out ! Lmao. Still thinking about the Fx350 by clutchmasters. Any other recommendations you guys have as far as the clutch goes, lmk. Thanks again you guys and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

CocoErupto

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm no expert, but I've been looking into this same topic for quite a while now. It seems that the common consensus is to get either the ACT or Competition Clutch kit with upgraded kzCMC and SS Clutch Line. Those two options have been heavily recommended and I'm torn between which of those I'll be upgrading to myself, when the time comes.
Sponsored