Change my own oil or go into dealership?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Here is the Valvomax oil drain plug:

HZ9ATHt.jpg

The Fumoto and Valvomax oil drain valves sized in M14-1.5mm are for the Type R. I would check the drain bolt size for the Si. My only concern with the Valvomax is making sure not to lose the discharge connector (part with the male connector and hose), because using this is the only way to use the drain valve portion properly.
Yeah I got a response from valvomax when I requested them about Civic Si. I overlooked it and lost in my inbox until I searched for that part. I might stick with oil drain bolt for now as it's not the thing which we often do. Valvomax got very expensive now o_O
Sponsored

jerost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan Lunar Silver
Country flag
Oh so this will be your first oil change ever?! Ok well if it’s going to be your first time then I would recommend having someone who knows how to change oil be with you to show you the first time. Or at least do some research first. As easy as it is, you definitely don’t want to mess it up. This is the beginning of an addiction. Before you know it you’ll be doing all the maintenance on your car. Use YouTube, they got plenty of videos that can walk you through it.
Excellent advice. While it's not hard to change oil and filter, it IS hard the first time because you've never done it before. Make sure you have all tools and supplies you'll need and so watch a YouTube video on current generation Civic oil change.

jsharon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BRZ Limited 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you are going to take it to get done dont go to a dealership, find a good local mechanic to do the oil change. cant trust those bozos at dealerships
I change my own oil but anything that is beyond my capability I take to my local trusted shop. Their prices are reasonable and it's family-owned. My car will never step foot in the deal unless it's for an airbag recall.

BrashSi

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan in Aegean Blue, 2012 Ridgeline EX-L, 2018 Civic Si Sedan in Aegean Blue(sold), 2004 S2000 NFR (sold),
Country flag
Change your own oil or else you risk the dealership trying to teach the porters how to drive manual in your car with the parking brake on. Ask me how I know...

Gus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Change your own oil or else you risk the dealership trying to teach the porters how to drive manual in your car with the parking brake on. Ask me how I know...

That's crazy! Sorry that it happened to you. Did they dealership do anything about this when you showed them?

OP
OP
bakingpancake

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag

Wow that’s fucked up! I would be so fucking pissed. AND THEY TOOK YOUR CAR TO A CAR WASH? I would not got there anymore. I try to take car and wash my own car with two bucket method to prevent scratch marks from a regular car wash.

Dudemac333

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I’ve always taken my car to a local mechanic who I trust, but after seeing and hearing all of these horror stories it’s probably as good of a time as any to start doing it myself. After watching some YouTube videos of oil changes on 10th gen civics it doesn’t seem too daunting.

BrashSi

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan in Aegean Blue, 2012 Ridgeline EX-L, 2018 Civic Si Sedan in Aegean Blue(sold), 2004 S2000 NFR (sold),
Country flag
That's crazy! Sorry that it happened to you. Did they dealership do anything about this when you showed them?
Yeah, I was pretty pissed when I saw it. Only reason I thought to look at the dash cam was because it too over an hour for an oil change, with almost no one in the waiting area. I only realized when I got it back that they had washed it after the oil change. I was kinda pissed especially since I never asked for, nor was ever told they'd be taking it through the automatic car wash Scratch-o-Matic. Here's the full sped up video of the oil-change and the clip above. The oil-change guy also couldn't figure out the clutch, but at least he didn't smoke it with the parking brake engaged.

I sent the videos to the service manager. Wasn't overly demanding and was reasonable. They agreed to replace cover the cost of labor for a clutch replacement if it were to fail prior to 100,000 miles which would be a reasonable life expectancy of a clutch on a sporting car. Since the labor is the most expensive and if I want to upgrade in the future, this seemed to be the most reasonable solution. I knew at the time that the car would be tuned (flashed back to stock for oil change), and the reports were that the clutches were wearing out prematurely. I've actually had less clutch slip in the 10,000 miles and 1.5 years since this incident occurred. The burnout by the 2nd guy also goes to show you that the porters couldn't give a shit about your car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gus

Zimmy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI, 2011 Accord V6, 2003 Civic LX, 2010 Ford Fusion
Country flag
If you have the tools and a place to do it yourself, then do it yourself. Nobody is going to treat your car with more respect than you. Changing your oil is very easy, plus it’s actually a little enjoyable. I like maintaining my vehicles because at least I know it will be done right.
I change my oil and rotate the tires at the same time. I use Mobil 1 and Fram’s oil filter made for synthetic oil XG 7317. Takes less than an hour.

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
DIY here,fumoto valve installed,cut off portion where oil filter and the valve so dont have to remove the cover.

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm worried that my mechanic overfilled oil in my '19. I see it go past the dipstick a bit. I've been driving it for 1k KM after the oil change already...

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I change my oil and do pretty much all my own maintenance and have for years. I generally assume that any lack of experience on my part can be compensated by my genuine care that it be done right and... at this point in the game... while I lack the experience of someone who does car work as their trade, I think I have a pretty good idea how to do fluid changes, brake work, suspension work, etc.

OP: Do what you want to do. Let the dealer do it. Let a 3rd party mechanic do it. Do it yourself. But first and foremost... realize it's your car and as long as the maintenance is being done, you are doing right by the car and your warranty is fine. Keep receipts if you do it away from the dealer... whether it'd from a 3rd party or from yourself doing it and keep confident. It is *your* car and the dealer doesn't have a monopoly on working on your car. If you feel pressured by them to do work you think is priced badly... or they're trying to upsell you things you don't need... just like with a salesman/finance guy when you were buying the car in the first place, tell them no and (or) leave and go elsewhere. You bought the car... and the dealership has no claim on either the car... or the work that's done to it. That's your decision.
Sponsored