Change my own oil or go into dealership?

OP
OP
bakingpancake

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Also have you thought of what oil and filters you plan to use?
I have not, I was planning to research which oil I should use this weekend. I wanted to buy bulk from Costco so if you have any recommendations feel free to let me know :)

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Do it yourself. There are a couple stories on this forum of people that right after an oil change everything their engines failed.
Is very easy for a dealer to use the improper oil, forget to put back the oil drain plug or even worse change the oil filter.

I had done a 10th Civic SI before isn't really a challenge. Is pretty straightforward.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I have not, I was planning to research which oil I should use this weekend. I wanted to buy bulk from Costco so if you have any recommendations feel free to let me know :)
Like @Vyzitor mentioned, it’s a touchy subject. All I can say is there are many options that will work just fine. But I would stick with a full synthetic 0w-20 oil that is recommended. And just don’t go too cheap with the filters. I like the Filtech filters. These are the filters Honda used to use that everybody liked. Filtech changed their name and go by Hamp now. So I ordered them by the bulk since both my civics use the same filters. The part number is H1540-RTA-515, they are the Filtech A01 equivalent.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I used to have valvomax drain valve for my old corolla. I couldn't find the same for 2019 Honda Civic Si ( need to know the size to order it). I don't like the way fumoto valves operate and valvomax is better and reliable in every way
Here is the Valvomax oil drain plug:

Honda Civic 10th gen Change my own oil or go into dealership? HZ9ATHt

The Fumoto and Valvomax oil drain valves sized in M14-1.5mm are for the Type R. I would check the drain bolt size for the Si. My only concern with the Valvomax is making sure not to lose the discharge connector (part with the male connector and hose), because using this is the only way to use the drain valve portion properly.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Here is the Valvomax oil drain plug:

HZ9ATHt.jpg

The Fumoto and Valvomax oil drain valves sized in M14-1.5mm are for the Type R. I would check the drain bolt size for the Si. My only concern with the Valvomax is making sure not to lose the discharge connector (part with the male connector and hose), because using this is the only way to use the drain valve portion properly.
That’s pretty cool! So you don’t know if they make it for our cars?

ltrinh

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I used this one. It has little elbow for the drain tube connection but I don't use it. I use the drain pan since taking off the oil will spill oil anyway. Both Fumoto, which I use on other car, and this EZ Oil Drain Valve work fine.

Honda Civic 10th gen Change my own oil or go into dealership? upload_2020-3-6_16-35-41

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The one in his screenshot is literally for our car. I just bought one myself today for my CTR, really getting tired of messes when changing the oil. Need to come up with a better way to catch old oil, the valvomax will help but I hate transferring it back into the jugs to drop it off at the autoparts store.

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I checked the catalog parts index, and your Si uses this size (M14-1.5).

Any of these (Fumoto, Valvomax, or EZ-Drain as shown in two posts above this by Itrinh) in that size will work.

OP
OP
bakingpancake

bakingpancake

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
I'm probably going to learn how to do it without any special draining tool first. Trying to save money for car parts :p

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just had mine done by Honda. Psh, I say let them do it. Keeps the resale value because I keep all the paperwork.

(Side note: my owner's manual didn't have any space for the Service Stamp! That's the first time I've ever had a book with no place to get the service person to sign off on the work. What is the world coming to?! Please let me know if I missed it. I looked through everything in the little pouch, twice!)
Sponsored