change light of push start button

pearlexl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 si coupe
Country flag
hello, is it possible to change the light of the push to start button on a 2017 honda civic? see image below.
Honda Civic 10th gen change light of push start button Honda_Civic_2016_Interior_Photos_(4)

assuming it is possible, has anyone tried it before? is it as simple as removing the button from its location and changing a bulb or does it involve removing multiple parts of the dash and soldering, etc?

thank you.
Sponsored

dohmez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
It's a bit late right now to check, but I'm sure I've seen that button be either red/white so I'm sure it's possible to change the color. What did you want to change it to?

theblackpearl

First Name
Damaris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
I wanted to do the same thing on mine.... did you ever try it @pearlexl ?

cadde41

First Name
Serkan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 fc5 LPG
Country flag
kırmızı ve beyaz aynı anda yandığında pembe renk oluyor. düğmenin üst 1. sıradaki kablosu +12, üst 3. sıra kırmızı renk (-) alt 3.sıra beyaz renk(-) birleştirince pembe oluyor.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
kırmızı ve beyaz aynı anda yandığında pembe renk oluyor. düğmenin üst 1. sıradaki kablosu +12, üst 3. sıra kırmızı renk (-) alt 3.sıra beyaz renk(-) birleştirince pembe oluyor.
Google translate of above:
When red and white are lit at the same time, it becomes pink. The cable of the button in the top 1st row is +12, the top 3rd row is red (-) and the bottom 3rd row is white (-) and it becomes pink.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I second this. Is it a t-10 or t-5 bulb?
It's most likely an array of LEDs soldered in place.

EDIT: In this video you can see the soldered LEDs at around the 10:50 mark. They could be swapped out with LEDs of another colour if you're handy with a soldering iron and know the specs of the LED. Likely not worth the hassle.

Tonbo

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic lx
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have a LX so I'm unsure how the push button is assembled but if I can get my hands on a oem button I'm confident I could change the color. I changed all my white leds to green in switches and instrument cluster
Honda Civic 10th gen change light of push start button IMG_20221103_192718450

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
I have three of these switches now to play with, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to take these apart. I can get the front ring off easy enough, but the rest of it... it's a b#stard.

The suggestion to switch the wiring around to fire the white instead of the red led is interesting, but yeah if you want blue or something, you'll need to hack into it to switch LED's or maybe do the wire trick with some tint film or other overlay to change the "white"

I'll tell you from taking my gauge clusters apart that those are tiny little board level LEDs and I suspect these switches are the same. Unless you are experienced with that level or work, it's probably not something to start on unless you have spares.

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have three of these switches now to play with, and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to take these apart. I can get the front ring off easy enough, but the rest of it... it's a b#stard.

The suggestion to switch the wiring around to fire the white instead of the red led is interesting, but yeah if you want blue or something, you'll need to hack into it to switch LED's or maybe do the wire trick with some tint film or other overlay to change the "white"

I'll tell you from taking my gauge clusters apart that those are tiny little board level LEDs and I suspect these switches are the same. Unless you are experienced with that level or work, it's probably not something to start on unless you have spares.
SMD Rework, bane of my existence. Just remember to use either a low-temp lead-free solder ($$$$ last I checked for the good Chip-Quik stuff) Or leaded solder. Also, ventilation and a small chisel point. I agree the cluster is a pain in the ass to disassemble, having done it for my Si cluster swap.

Refried_Loaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 civic '19 civic si
Country flag
I have a LX so I'm unsure how the push button is assembled but if I can get my hands on a oem button I'm confident I could change the color. I changed all my white leds to green in switches and instrument cluster
IMG_20221103_192718450.jpg
Do you have a writeup for this?

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
I'm not sure how Tonbo did it, but ... if you take out the Cluster, the clear plastic shield just pops right off... you could put some color tint film behind the black plastic upper arches very easily. Then just turn off the ECO mode green light BS (if you have that on your car) so the base light is always White, and thus tints to your preferred color.
Sponsored