OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you! Actually just finished with all the trim (C4 on unpainted trim, C1, wait 12 hours, 3 coats of ExoV4 on all the painted trim and headlights. Looks great, IMO. Really appreciate all your advice. Now just need to clay, polish, and C1/Exo the actual blue paint and I'll be done for awhile.
you don't need to go 3 coats on exo to save material. 2 is good.

good timing....just posted some pics of audi sepang blue on my s3 for you to see. love it!

great job!
Sponsored

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea, those look awesome. Very cool and great taste in cars!

Three was probably excessive but the whole reason I flipped a table over and just did it yesterday was water spotting on some of the trim. Had to polish it off and figured - never again, not with these products just sitting here. I still have tons of Exo left, way more than I need for just my CTR. Hoping to do most or all of at least one coat on my wife's Odyssey after the CTR.

You mentioned a flex orbiter - I still have a little area that I found some spotting on, in between the passenger side mirror and the door "flange" or whatever you'd call it. I'm guessing a flex would be needed, and I don't have one. I use a basic PC polisher now, any recommendations on the flex unit?

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea, those look awesome. Very cool and great taste in cars!

Three was probably excessive but the whole reason I flipped a table over and just did it yesterday was water spotting on some of the trim. Had to polish it off and figured - never again, not with these products just sitting here. I still have tons of Exo left, way more than I need for just my CTR. Hoping to do most or all of at least one coat on my wife's Odyssey after the CTR.

You mentioned a flex orbiter - I still have a little area that I found some spotting on, in between the passenger side mirror and the door "flange" or whatever you'd call it. I'm guessing a flex would be needed, and I don't have one. I use a basic PC polisher now, any recommendations on the flex unit?
Ah the ole water spotting problem from hard water or soap residue. Try mix of 50/50 water and white vinegar...gets spots out like magic. Else Gtechniq sells a water spot remover I’ve read works well but haven’t tried it.

Flex is German made, and I use it as my main go to for larger panels with 6” pad. It has more power than the normal PC orbiter I use with 3” pads. Detailed Image is where I get all my tools and materials. They have sales all the time.

Just updated my reply with the white Macan S I did. I take 2 days per car for a full job and refresh once every 6 months with a quick layer of Exo. For maintenance or after wash, I use C2 top off spray...best super light ceramic quick detailed I’ve used.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Quick tip for you in applying ceramic coatings - see pics. Get Gyeon foam blocks which are made with a hard foam/handle layer about 3.5” long and 1.5” wide with a thin soft foam layer. Cut a slit on each side lengthwise. Then use Gyeon suede which come 10-pack for $5 and insert on each side in the slits you cut.

It makes for the most consistent and quickest application of ceramic coatings while not allowing your applicator to soak in all the material. I don’t like to use the little foam pads that come with the bottles of materials which soak the material and cures on there.

Change suede about every other big panel as you work. I normally use 4 suede pieces per car and 1 foam block for every 2 cars. They’re cheap enough to just have a bunch on hand.

Honda Civic 10th gen ceramic, ppf, and hybrid protection 2EAD93B3-52ED-464E-A72E-D5BDA86DF433

Honda Civic 10th gen ceramic, ppf, and hybrid protection 959DA4B0-55B9-4365-B644-C6610E102412

Last edited:
OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1) this is the flex orbiter i have for main polishing with 6" pads on large areas. it's a workhorse and super smooth, easy to handle: https://www.detailedimage.com/Flex-M26/XC-3401-VRG-P128/

2) the proven porter cable 7424xp for 3" pads is what i use for smaller areas: https://www.detailedimage.com/Porter-Cable-M17/7424XP-Random-Orbital-Buffer-P331/

3) for really small areas using 1.5" pads, i have the rupes ta50 mini orbiter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NCAXDKY

4) not for the faint of heart or inexperienced detailers is the makita 9237c rotary i use for really bad scratches or wet sanding: https://www.detailedimage.com/Makita-M42/9227C-X3-Rotary-Buffer-P373/

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went ahead and got 10 squares of the suede and two applicator blocks. $13 shipped from DI with 20% off. Not bad, and should get me through both vehicles I think, though probably not if I use it for Exo as well. Either way, great stuff, I love little tricks like that and since I was doing just trim, the small pads supplied by GTechniq made sense, but on the larger panels? That was going to be more of a chore.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Went ahead and got 10 squares of the suede and two applicator blocks. $13 shipped from DI with 20% off. Not bad, and should get me through both vehicles I think, though probably not if I use it for Exo as well. Either way, great stuff, I love little tricks like that and since I was doing just trim, the small pads supplied by GTechniq made sense, but on the larger panels? That was going to be more of a chore.
yep, huge difference in how quickly you can apply ceramic coatings on any panel and smoothly, evenly too. enjoy!

J504

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2008 corvette z06
Country flag
@ctrmofo Did you use xpel on the headlights? I have heard claims of film causing issues with headlights in the past and wanted to hear your thoughts on this.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@ctrmofo Did you use xpel on the headlights? I have heard claims of film causing issues with headlights in the past and wanted to hear your thoughts on this.
Yes headlights are covered as always and has been 10 months. Never heard of or have experienced any issues whatsoever for 15 years on all my cars with headlights done. Modern cars are all hard clear plastic and will chip if not covered since glass is no longer used. I wouldn’t drive without headlights being protected.

What are the claims you’ve heard?

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Yes headlights are covered as always and has been 10 months. Never heard of or have experienced any issues whatsoever for 15 years on all my cars with headlights done. Modern cars are all hard clear plastic and will chip if not covered since glass is no longer used. I wouldn’t drive without headlights being protected.

What are the claims you’ve heard?
I'm thinking maybe the halogen based headlights that gives off warmth?

BTW, just dropped off my R for her front and side wrap. 2 months into ownership XD Wish I would've done it sooner but I had to build the savings.

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm thinking maybe the halogen based headlights that gives off warmth?

BTW, just dropped off my R for her front and side wrap. 2 months into ownership XD Wish I would've done it sooner but I had to build the savings.
ah ok, yes, depending on the old halogen headlights...some get way too hot or if distance of bulb to headlight housing is too short. with projector headlights like HIDs or LEDs, there are ZERO problems.

i've done it on my 2 of my motorcycle headlights, and those are really hot halogens. i don't sit and idle my bike too long else it literally melts the film due to the heat of the halogens and short distance between bulb and surface of the housing.

on our cars - absolutely nothing to worry about.

atranho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR
Country flag
Hello! I just Xpeled the front end of the vehicle and was planning on a coating? So you are saying dont use the CSL on the PPF and just use exo? It is exov4 now and how is yours holding up thanks !!

OP
OP
ctrmofo

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
correct, do not use csl on ppf since it's a harder ceramic meant for paint.

exo v4 is great on ppf. do 2 layers. mine is amazing still after a year.

note: gtechniq recently released halo ppf ceramic made specifically for ppf films. i'm changing to that exclusively for all my ppf. check it out before you use exo v4.
Sponsored