Ceramic paint protection worth it?

mikeyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, '17 Civic Hatchbacks EX-L
Tomorrow's the big day. My new Sonic Grey HB will be picked up and I've got a question about ceramic paint protection. Has anyone heard of this being applied and the pros and cons of it being on your car? I've talked with a shop to get it done but wanted feedback before it was too late.
Sponsored

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I personally wouldn't get it. But that's me...

OP
OP
mikeyd

mikeyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally wouldn't get it. But that's me...
How come? Is there a particular reason? I don't have a covered place to store my car at the moment so I wanted to get the most protection possible

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had it done last friday (CQuartz Finest). Can't say much about it yet because it's just a couple of days past. It shines like a diamond that is :cool:
I had it coated because I don't wash my car every week, sometimes more then a month. I want the paint protected and to clean it easily.

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How come? Is there a particular reason? I don't have a covered place to store my car at the moment so I wanted to get the most protection possible
Well because I feel all these add ons are sort of a rip off. I had an 05 accord for 11 years, never washed it much after the first few years. I ended up having a spot on the hood where the clear coat was peeling, but the car was 11 years old at that point, so it's not supposed to look new. Oh and plus I'm cheap...

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Whether it is "worth it" really depends on how much you value maintaining your paint. The best paint protection is PPF (clear bra) and you can wrap your entire car with it, but it can get very costly. Ceramic coatings can also get a bit expensive especially if you have a professional apply it. It provides protection against chemical damage to the paint from birds, bugs, tree sap, etc. and is more resistant to swirling (but doesn't eliminate it), but doesn't provide much defense against stone chips. There are DIY ceramic coatings that are cheaper, but ceramics are generally not as easy to apply properly as sealants. Sealants ("waxes") are cheap and easy to apply, but provide the least protection. They also have to be applied much more frequently.

So the big question is, how much are you willing to spend to protect your car's finish?

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Its worth it if you pay a couple hundred, or apply it yourself. No way is it worth the $700 my dealer was trying to charge...you could get the whole hood and bumper repainted for that lol

CivicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2014 Ram 1500, 2016 Harley Ultra Limited
Buy a can of Liquid Glass and put on a total of five coats after that you can drop down to applying a coat every six months and each new coat will result in a deeper shine.

Liquid Glass is easy to apply and just as easy to remove and you can do it in the sun.

I use liquid Glass on all my vehicles. You can buy it online or you can get it at most AutoZone stores.

nastasimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
I know I am a little late on this one since you probably have the car by now. My dealership offered Simoniz's Glasscoat to protect the paint. I'm sure a lot of people on here will tell you that it's a scam and a waste of money but I'm happy with it. It was a $600 option (yes, a little pricey) but it seems to be doing a good job. I have had my 2016 Civic EX for 1 year now and water still beads up nicely and grime wipes off easily. I wish it was a little cheaper but this is my first new car so naturally I was all "yes give me all the protection!"

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Being an Authorized CQuartz FINEST Reserve & CQuartz Professional installer, I may come off as biased but here is my honest opinion. Keep in mind I have worked with most of the major coating manufacturers, and work daily as a professional detailer.

Coatings are NOT for everyone. If I have a client with a rare vehicle, fine/delicate paintwork, or even a vehicle that is only driven a few times a year or used for shows - then typically, I lean to recommend waxes over coatings. The reason is simple - these types of vehicles will not see the true benefits of a coating.

Take a daily driver, weekend cruiser, motorcycle, etc. - and there is where you see benefits. This can be on a classic, exotic, etc... all just depends on it's use.

With strong chemical resistance, abrasion resistance, UV and water spot protection - these coatings provide a wealth of protection and ease of maintenance thanks to them bonding to the surface and creating a hydrophobic layer. When I'm approaching a client with a coating as an option, I typically look at the following:
  • What is their definition of 'protection'?
  • What is their maintenance schedule/regimen?
  • What is their budget?

Personally, I coat all my vehicles. The hydrophobic surface means the entire vehicle becomes incredibly easy to maintain and wash, which lessens the chance of instilling damage in the paintwork during your wash process!

OP
OP
mikeyd

mikeyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wanted to provide everyone an update on this Ceramic coating. Here is what the guy sent me two days ago after he finished, I just need to pick it up later this evening after it cures.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic paint protection worth it? IMG_3428.JPG

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
Looking good! Which coating did you end up having applied?

OP
OP
mikeyd

mikeyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking good! Which coating did you end up having applied?

Went with the only option he had but it was through a good friend so I knew he did quality work. Chose some CQuartz

OP
OP
mikeyd

mikeyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some final pictures after it cured for two days in the garage.

Right before the rain rolled in though, but the water beads up so nicely.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic paint protection worth it? IMG_3473.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic paint protection worth it? IMG_3474.JPG

Mike R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R. 2017 Nissan Micra.
Country flag
Some final pictures after it cured for two days in the garage.

Right before the rain rolled in though, but the water beads up so nicely.

IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3474.JPG
A video of an Audi having swirl marks removed and ceramic coating applied.
Sponsored