Ceramic coating your CTR? Advices

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
I am eventually going with a ceramic coat Opticoat. It's very important to do a full paint correction first to seal in the paint at its finest state.
You don't necessarily have to do a paint correction if the paint is swirl/scratch free, as there is only a finite amount of clear coat. Most important part is prep work, removing all the contaminants and oils on the paint surface that can affect how the coating bonds onto the paint. I can see why detail shops charge what they do, prep work is much longer (for me) than a traditional wax/sealant job. But application of the coating is a breeze. I highly recommend it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag
You don't necessarily have to do a paint correction if the paint is swirl/scratch free, as there is only a finite amount of clear coat. Most important part is prep work, removing all the contaminants and oils on the paint surface that can affect how the coating bonds onto the paint. I can see why detail shops charge what they do, prep work is much longer (for me) than a traditional wax/sealant job. But application of the coating is a breeze. I highly recommend it.
The paint has its imperfections, especially after driving it 1000 miles. It's more noticeable to me especially since the car is black.

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
The paint has its imperfections, especially after driving it 1000 miles. It's more noticeable to me especially since the car is black.
After 1000 miles? If the dealer washed the car prior to delivery, then yes, you have swirls and micro scratches everywhere haha. I'm paranoid about paint maintenance. If a towel shows the slightest hint of dirt, it either gets chucked, or I use it to clean wheels.

Best of luck!

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
If you look in to a detailing kit ( Machine, Pads, Polishes, Microfiber towel ) and a Clay bar kit or a Decon Kit. You can get your finish ready for any type of coating you want to use. The Auto Detailing industry has move to the regular guy who loves to work on they ride and to maintain it. Just look at their sites and their detailing forums and you can see the amount of work you can do on your rides.

Dooty50

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Accord Coupe EX-L Navi V6 6MT
I will be getting Xpel + Cquartz Finest on my CTR this week. I'm getting xpel on: Hood, bumper, bumper inserts, a pillars, mirrors, headlights, foglights and fenders.

I drove my CTR back home from the dealer but won't be driving it until everything is done. It's an expensive investment but rock chips and swirls drive me nuts.

I will post pictures when I get my car back.

P.S: getting you car detailed fresh of the lot is the best thing you can do, no paint is perfect out of the factory. Also, my paint will be paused in it's original state for years to come.

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag
If you look in to a detailing kit ( Machine, Pads, Polishes, Microfiber towel ) and a Clay bar kit or a Decon Kit. You can get your finish ready for any type of coating you want to use. The Auto Detailing industry has move to the regular guy who loves to work on they ride and to maintain it. Just look at their sites and their detailing forums and you can see the amount of work you can do on your rides.
I trust myself turning wrenches on my car but when it comes to paint I don't have the experience and my CTR isnt a guinea pig.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Related/unrelated, I dropped off my 09 DBP Si Sedan for Ceramic Pro Sport correction and coating today. Basically - the car is 'for sale' and it would be easier to keep it clean etc. It's a bit over $300 so basically the cost of a high-priced detail job. I couldn't see spending the big money, and I won't have time to do it myself for a few more weeks.
I'll let you know my impressions. It's not the Gold package, but it should still come out pretty good looking!

Budgetplan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX, 2016 Civic Coupe, 2004 Corvette,
I trust myself turning wrenches on my car but when it comes to paint I don't have the experience and my CTR isnt a guinea pig.
It's pretty hard to goon up your car using today's tools and products and applying a glass/ceramic/quartz coating isn't rocket science. PPF on the other hand, well...that's likely a bit tougher.

Goto the Autopia and/or Autogeek forums. For about $250 you could set yourself up to correct the paint, another $100-$150 depending on coating choice and you could be good for 24 months or so with reasonable maint. And you car will stay a lot cleaner, less washing = less touching paint = better looking car.

OldPirate

Old Pirate
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Hyundia something like that....
It's pretty hard to goon up your car using today's tools and products and applying a glass/ceramic/quartz coating isn't rocket science. PPF on the other hand, well...that's likely a bit tougher.

Goto the Autopia and/or Autogeek forums. For about $250 you could set yourself up to correct the paint, another $100-$150 depending on coating choice and you could be good for 24 months or so with reasonable maint. And you car will stay a lot cleaner, less washing = less touching paint = better looking car.
:agree:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update-

I got the ceramic Pro Sport package done. Car looks noticeably more vivid and seems less likely to allow dust to stick. I had it sitting out in the rain but haven't driven in the rain yet. It could be a little cleaner if I washed it but not much.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you get ceramic Pro Gold, how long does it take to get done and get the car back?

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you get ceramic Pro Gold, how long does it take to get done and get the car back?
I would imagine they would have your car for a few days to do the work. If they only have the car for one day, make sure that it was IR cured if there is even the slightest chance that it might rain or get wet. I know for me personally I will have a car for multiple days though (I don't use Ceramic Pro though).

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
Nothing more satisfying to me then seeing the results of waxing a car. I will stick to old school and just use carnauba paste wax as I have done for many years on my vehicles. Meguaire's Gold Class is what I have used for about 20 years. Yes, I know I do not get chip protection, but I wouldn't with ceramic either and PPF is just too darn expensive. I had been a nose mask (bra) guy for my cars, but don't think I will put a nose mask on this one.
wax.png
I put on a ceramic coat first on my PMM and then a coat of wax. The ceramic coat is actually easier to apply and doesn't cost much either.

Budgetplan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX, 2016 Civic Coupe, 2004 Corvette,
I put on a ceramic coat first on my PMM and then a coat of wax. The ceramic coat is actually easier to apply and doesn't cost much either.
Kinda lose the self cleaning of ceramic by topping it with wax, no?
Sponsored