Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Looking for insight from people that have ceramic coated wheels. I see some people have done it prior to mounting tires and have issues with wheel weights falling off. Looking for feedback from people who have coated before mounting tires and after. Preferences, experiences, etc.

Are there any DIY products that you have used and endorse?
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Looking for insight from people that have ceramic coated wheels. I see some people have done it prior to mounting tires and have issues with wheel weights falling off. Looking for feedback from people who have coated before mounting tires and after. Preferences, experiences, etc.

Are there any DIY products that you have used and endorse?
I’d wait till after, that way you can clean the tires and remove the lubricant that they put on to mount the tire also and then dress the tire for a shine

CWTypeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Civic Type R # 20866 and a 2009 Acura TSX for the daily grind....
Country flag
I waited until after for mine....and I agree with the above from jayy.....it will allow you to clean all the crap off after they mount the tires..

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
Mine were done after the tires were mounted. No issues with tape weights coming off.

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, F80 M3, '16 Colorado Diesel, '65 Lincoln Continental
Country flag
I used a cheap eBay ceramic coat on my winter wheels. I applied it before having the tires mounted. After a season of Illinois roads and salt the wheels are still easy to clean (also easier to get the wheel mount goop off) and the wheel weights are still attached.

jayhoang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
I did my wheels fully before mounting and balancing so that I could ensure I could every inch of it.
For reference, I used Gyeon Rim Q2 - 3 full coats and had no issues with the weights sticking properly.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
I’d wait till after, that way you can clean the tires and remove the lubricant that they put on to mount the tire also and then dress the tire for a shine
That defeats the purpose of the ceramic coat though, which is to protect the finish. From a detailer's stand point, I think it makes more sense to coat them before mounting the tires on. The only issue I can think of are the wheel weights falling off as OP mentioned.

OP, I would suggest just coating the outer rim and face, and leaving the barrel bare so the weights stick properly. You'll have to deal with extra brake dust in the barrel but to be honest, coated wheels only help marginally (but still a perceivable difference) to keep brake dust off. The best way you can keep your wheels etching/scratching from dust and debree is to keep them maintained. Don't let your wheels get too dirty as etching happens when you leave brake dust on the surface for a long time. Wash them with proper technique and products. I personally use an automotive all purpose cleaner with a soft detailing brush. After, I would do a spotless rinse and air dry or rinse + towel dry (with a drying aid to prevent marring from the towel like a synthetic quick detailer with no wax).

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Ceramic coating won’t protect it from damages or scratches so what’s the point of doing it before, the tire lube is only going to get the wheel dirty again. It’s better to knock 2 out with one stone, but really it doesn’t matter anyways

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Ceramic coating won’t protect it from damages or scratches so what’s the point of doing it before, the tire lube is only going to get the wheel dirty again. It’s better to knock 2 out with one stone, but really it doesn’t matter anyways
Interesting, from my experience, the ceramic does mitigate a lot of scratches (albeit, I'm talking about light scratches that can be buffed out, not ones that are down to the metal). I had it applied for a lot of my household cars and also family and friend's cars,to which I maintain personally so I get to see how the coating is holding up every few months. But you are right about it being potentially damaged during the mounting process though, no amount of ceramic will save you from that. But if you get it mounted by someone who is careful I don't think it'll be an issue.

I'm also talking about this from the perspective of paint surface preservation and not just to keep the wheel clean longer between washes. If what you're going for is the latter, I don't think it'll matter too much either way.

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may be wrong about this but, applying ceramic coat which is intended to be applied to clear coat, may not actually have an effect on wheels, at least not powder coated wheels. I've applied ceramic coat to wheels before and i noticed that when i applied the coating, it wouldn't have the same visible oil-slick looking flashing reaction as when its applied on paint. In fact, i remember applying it to a set of wheels and the only place where i did see that reaction, was on the center cap of each wheel. Now this may just have been because of the specific finish that was on that one set of wheels, and it may differ between wheel models. Pretty sure that for a ceramic coat to properly install, it needs to have that reaction with clear coat.

Someone may know more about this than me, please correct me if i'm wrong.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just got new wheels and they were just ceramic coated professionally right out of the box. I’m gonna wait a week and then mount them. I never thought about the wheel weights issue but I will update you in a week or two! Sure hope that works out! Also the shop uses a specific ceramic intended only for brake calipers and wheels that can withstand higher temperatures.
Sponsored