Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 Honda Fit Sport, 17 Honda CTR
Country flag
Argh...I have so many questions about this product. I'm very OCD and I keep my cars meticulously clean. The idea of having a front wrap on the R to protect the paint from rock chips, etc., seems like a no brainer. My problem comes with how the car looks in the front once wrapped. You can't shine up plastic like you do the actual paint, so you get this pretty Championship White paint and then look at the front and it doesn't have the "pop" of a non-wrapped one. Does the protection out way the paint shine?

My other concern is the cost. I priced out a 3M wrap for my dad's Accord and the prices were astronomical. I know this is a rare car, but dropping over a grand to put some wrap on it really doesn't sit well with me.
Yeah I wonder the same thing on the finished look. The Nano Fusion film I was quoted 4k on the entire car, windows and wheels included. That's crazy but it's the only way to have the lifetime warranty
Sponsored

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Argh...I have so many questions about this product. I'm very OCD and I keep my cars meticulously clean. The idea of having a front wrap on the R to protect the paint from rock chips, etc., seems like a no brainer. My problem comes with how the car looks in the front once wrapped. You can't shine up plastic like you do the actual paint, so you get this pretty Championship White paint and then look at the front and it doesn't have the "pop" of a non-wrapped one. Does the protection out way the paint shine?

My other concern is the cost. I priced out a 3M wrap for my dad's Accord and the prices were astronomical. I know this is a rare car, but dropping over a grand to put some wrap on it really doesn't sit well with me.
I had the entire front of a Grabber Blue Shelby done first with PPF when I got it. It had already sat on a showroom floor for a few months so the paint had cured. I then applied Zaino which is a silicone polymer protectant to the entire car (and wrap). I'm told silicone polymers are like putting a plastic coating on the paint, versus using wax which is like covering your car in an oil. There are other cheaper silicone polymers polishes available that do the same thing. These protectants will wash off with aggressive detergents such as sunlight if you want to remove them, so generally stick to mild car wash soaps when washing your car. If you use the Z2 and Z5 products they layer as they do not contain solvents and apparently thats the key to building a deep wet looking shine. I re-apply a coat of Zaino at least once a year and the entire car (PPF or not) all appears to be the same to me when I stand back and look at it.

I do not have any experience with the latest technology paint protection technology of nano coatings though. While doing some quick research I came across this article which may be worth a quick read and does mention at the end that you can apply poly secants to your clear bra which will help protect it. https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014/07/18/nano-coatings-holy-grail-shine-irreversible-error/

Last edited:
OP
OP

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 Honda Fit Sport, 17 Honda CTR
Country flag
I had the entire front of a Grabber Blue Shelby done first with PPF when I got it. It had already sat on a showroom floor for a few months so the paint had cured. I then applied Zaino which is a silicone polymer protectant to the entire car (and wrap). I'm told silicone polymers are like putting a plastic coating on the paint, versus using wax which is like covering your car in an oil. There are other cheaper silicone polymers polishes available that do the same thing. These protectants will wash off with aggressive detergents such as sunlight if you want to remove them, so generally stick to mild car wash soaps when washing your car. If you use the Z2 and Z5 products they layer as they do not contain solvents and apparently thats the key to building a deep wet looking shine. I re-apply a coat of Zaino at least once a year and the entire car (PPF or not) all appears to be the same to me when I stand back and look at it.

I do not have any experience with the latest technology paint protection technology of nap coatings though. While doing some quick research I came across this article which may be worth a quick read and does mention at the end that you can apply poly secants to your clear bra which will help protect it. https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014/07/18/nano-coatings-holy-grail-shine-irreversible-error/
With ceramic coatings you never have to apply them again as they bond to the clear coat. You can also apply then to ppf's from what I have been told. They are supposed to give you a showroom look forever and most things will just wash off with water.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
With ceramic coatings you never have to apply them again as they bond to the clear coat. You can also apply then to ppf's from what I have been told. They are supposed to give you a showroom look forever and most things will just wash off with water.
This is true , unless you get a scratch or something. Then you can just buff it or even wet sand & buff it , then re apply the ceramic coating. Ceramic coating can come off with heavy compound buffing. But who would do that lol

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
This is true , unless you get a scratch or something. Then you can just buff it or even wet sand & buff it , then re apply the ceramic coating. Ceramic coating can come off with heavy compound buffing. But who would do that lol

Once you're done installing Nano and OptiCoat, you're at a new paint Job in cost. Gets me wondering, for a person who isn't going championship white, why invest so much in protecting a non exclusive, factory paint job?

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
Have you checked reviews on this nano fusion film? I've yet to hear of it. Interesting discussion on it dating back to 2013 or so, on forum for installers...

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Once you're done installing Nano and OptiCoat, you're at a new paint Job in cost. Gets me wondering, for a person who isn't going championship white, why invest so much in protecting a non exclusive, factory paint job?
My detail guy only charges 500 for a full opti coat install , I'd stay the clear bra is what pushes the price up not the ceramic coating. Ceramic coating is normally pretty affordable. Good paint jobs start at 4000$ and Quickly go up. I'm good friends with my installer , so I can have whatever done at a fraction of the cost of what the average jo will pay. And I'm OCD with all of my cars paint , so I guess that's kinda why lol. I also have disposable income

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also ceramic coating can be done at home in your own garage very easily. Especially on a brand new car. It's when someone wants it done & the whole car needs to be compounded & buffed to perfection. If you ceramic coat over a scratch , your only locking it inn lol. So your vehicles paint needs to be 100 percent perfect before applying it. A tube of opti coat for example is only like 50$ bucks & your applying what 2-3 drops per panel. I'm just lucky that I'm friends with a guy who's been detailing cars for as long as Honda has been making the type r , like 25 plus years. He's my detail mentor. And it's cool that I can hang out & drink a cold beer & watch everything be done to my car. I will not touch a clear bra install , that's out of my league, but it's fun to watch !! Also food for thought , Honda adds ADM , detail installers can add ADM.

dastanli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry, Tacoma
Country flag
I tried to look for opti coat online but can't find it anywhere for purchase. Do you have a link or have any other brand that you know are good quality and can be purchased?

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I tried to look for opti coat online but can't find it anywhere for purchase. Do you have a link or have any other brand that you know are good quality and can be purchased?
Check out autogeek.com , they have all of your detail needs , they sell opti coat & every kind of ceramic coating

MrHomecoming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NSX S2000
Any clear bra installers recommendations in orange county, ca? and cost if known?. Thanks.

Last edited:

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nano-Fusion
Xpel
Suntek
Are all really good

Cost is un known , just depends on the installer. I'd guess around 1000$ & it can quickly go up from there

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
Any clear bra recommendations in orange county, ca? and cost if known?. Thanks.
I've seen 'Sticker City' come up a lot on BMW forums. Not sure where it is in relation to you, but I think it's in La somewhere?

Cost dependent on coverage. I assume you're looking at a minimum of $2k to get decent work done, like entire front end coverage, with all edges rolled behind body panels, etc

Best of luck :thumbsup:
Sponsored