Ceramic Coating vs PPF

habibmustafa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
ceramic coating to me is more cosmetic than defense. A lot of the demo videos show how it makes water beads, not necessarily protect you from driving hazards. Perhaps good on the bird poo and other chemical stuff that might be harmful to paints, but I wouldn't trump it over having a PPF. And I believe the frequency of re-application is like.... every year, where good quality PPF is like... 5-7 years? Granted if they have gone bad?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 Honda Fit Sport, 17 Honda CTR
Country flag
I am leaning towards doing Optimum Gloss Coat myself, and 303 Fabric guard all the carpets and seating surfaces.

Dr. Colorchip would take care of those above rock chips.

As much as I want to do PPF, there are just downsides I'm not willing to accept.
- Needs to be removed every 5-10 years. Not sure technology of PPF these days but I dont' think its advanced to the point
where it can be left on forever. This means you will have to spend $$$$ again to rewrap once those years are done. At removal of the wrap,
your paint, headlight lens are at risk of delamination.
- Wrapping alot of the panels would mean $$$$, which ends up costing as much as a new paint job.
Nano Fusion had a lifetime warranty. http://nano-fusionppf.com
That's what I'll go with if I go they route because my local installed will reinstall it for free if there are any issues like cracking or yellowing.

nyuofa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M4, STI
I am leaning towards doing Optimum Gloss Coat myself, and 303 Fabric guard all the carpets and seating surfaces.

Dr. Colorchip would take care of those above rock chips.

As much as I want to do PPF, there are just downsides I'm not willing to accept.
- Needs to be removed every 5-10 years. Not sure technology of PPF these days but I dont' think its advanced to the point
where it can be left on forever. This means you will have to spend $$$$ again to rewrap once those years are done. At removal of the wrap,
your paint, headlight lens are at risk of delamination.
- Wrapping alot of the panels would mean $$$$, which ends up costing as much as a new paint job.
This is the argument, ppf vs 'just let it be' and touch up paint and/or respray, as needed. I'm a big believer of ppf, and know it can be removed and reapplied, as needed. Touch up paint, like Dr Colorchip, just doesn't look good from under 5 feet away. For detailing nuts like myself, it would drive me bonkers, knowing that I could have protected my car from rock chips. Respray? Tough to get a 99% match, unless you have a top notch body shop working on it. Again, I'm so neurotic about paint care and maintenance, ppf is the only way to go for me, and always maintaining a safe distance from cars in front when I drive on highways.

But this is also region dependent. I live in an area where my commute on the interstate is shared with lots of truck drivers, so ppf is important. In Socal, probably not as important, as road debris from rock chips won't be as bad. And if the car is not a daily driver, then maybe you don't need ppf.

With ppf application, you can choose to wrap the areas you see fit. I normally avoid headlights, but always get the entire front end, mirrors, front fenders, rockers, front part of the rear quarters, and leading edge of roof, wrapped. Anywhere else, the usual detailing process, decom, clay, polish, wax/sealant/whatever you choose to use, etc etc. Yes, it costs $$$, but for peace of mind, definitely worth it, for me. You should check out autogeek forums, a wealth of knowledge on there as far as paint maintenance/care.

These days, most people won't keep a car long enough to have to worry about replacing ppf. For those who suffer from self-induced paint paranoia like myself, it's an absolute must. YMMV.

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
I'm OCD when it comes to my cars & esp the paint. For me protecting my paint is a must do. I get asked all the time how & why my cars are that damn clean & I take as a compliment. Most people don't give a crap about a chip or scratch , but that would drive me crazy. So yes my CTR will be protected top to bottom with top of the line products & for me cost is no issue , I will spend thousands to keep my Cars looking the way i want them, just like some people will spend 5-10k in AdM. it's all about what's important to you. There's some guy out there that will have new tire's installed with the wrong machine & F his wheels all up and not give a crap. Where if I get a nick on my wheel , I'll order another oem rim. But that's just me !! If I invest my money into it , I'll keep it perfect & that goes for everything I own

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
XPEL and ppf allows uv through. therefore it should be coated if you care about the uv life of the clearcoat. Unsure if sealants would last long on a ppf

OP
OP

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
XPEL and ppf allows uv through. therefore it should be coated if you care about the uv life of the clearcoat. Unsure if sealants would last long on a ppf
Nano Fusion is supposed to block UV. That's why I'm choosing them along with their warranty

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
Beginners question here. I've never done any of this to previous vehicles but I am strongly considering it for the Type R.

About how much would it be to get it entirely wrapped professionally in Nano Fusion?

Detailmylifeaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r , s2000 , delsol & soon to be a NSX
Country flag
Beginners question here. I've never done any of this to previous vehicles but I am strongly considering it for the Type R.

About how much would it be to get it entirely wrapped professionally in Nano Fusion?
Maybe 500$ on the low end , I suppose your talking wheels , glass & everything, but it could be a lot more. Call up your local detail shop & ask .

OP
OP

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I was quoted 4K for the entire car in nano Fusion.

CXRB17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan LX, '17 CTR (PA Signed in WI, ETA 5/31-6/7, Blue)
Country flag
I was quoted 4K for the entire car in nano Fusion.
It seems like Nano states that they don't need to be replaced every 5-10 years like the comparable products. Anyone own it long enough to attest to that?

OP
OP

Phantisy

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.primalsynthetics.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It seems like Nano states that they don't need to be replaced every 5-10 years like the comparable products. Anyone own it long enough to attest to that?
Nano Fusion has a lifetime warranty. So if it yellows peels or cracks it gets replace free.

RatedR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Integra GS-R (sold). 2000 Integra Type R (sold). 2017 Civic Type R.
Country flag
Argh...I have so many questions about this product. I'm very OCD and I keep my cars meticulously clean. The idea of having a front wrap on the R to protect the paint from rock chips, etc., seems like a no brainer. My problem comes with how the car looks in the front once wrapped. You can't shine up plastic like you do the actual paint, so you get this pretty Championship White paint and then look at the front and it doesn't have the "pop" of a non-wrapped one. Does the protection out way the paint shine?

My other concern is the cost. I priced out a 3M wrap for my dad's Accord and the prices were astronomical. I know this is a rare car, but dropping over a grand to put some wrap on it really doesn't sit well with me.
Sponsored