Jmillerohio

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R Champion White
Country flag
Just checking in and seeing if anyone has performed there own ceramic coating. What product they may have used and the results.

I'm going to be having it performed and thinking about performing it on my own, as I have access to a full garage and all the products. I would like to know which products work or if you had someone else perform the coating what they used.

I have a local detail shop that performs ceramic coating that will do it for me, at a price so so low, I dont want to mention but not sure if its worth letting them or doing it on my own.

Any information on which product was used or any recommendations on which to use would be awesome!!

Also my CtR is CW if that makes any difference or if anyone has the same color that has it coated may be able to tell me which product they used and if it worked well... or if you think it did lol.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Dmon808

Lost FK8 in Hawaii
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type r
Country flag
I used mothers cmx. For the price and convenience its pretty decent. Easy to apply and easy to come off. When I applied it to my wrx (that sat out in the elements for almost 2 years until I saved her) the color definitely popped out with one coating. Even got a few complements driving around right after the coating. Lasted about 1 month.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I personally only use Kamikaze Collection coatings. I have Zipang coat on my car and have used Miyabi coat in the past. Excellent coatings, easy to apply, great looks, durability, self cleaning, and water beading properties. The hardest part is preparing the paint / paint correction. When removing the coating make sure to completely wipe all panels. Its easy to spread the coating around and it leaving high spots.

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I just did my own with Polish Angel Cosmic V2. Time will tell how long it holds up but based on reviews it should last one to two years depending on your conditions. The application and prep was easy but time consuming. Definitely not something Id want to do more than once a year. Id recommend doing your own only if you are willing to take the necessary steps in prepping your paint. Also, buy a good coating because after all of that work prepping and applying you want it to last and not have to do it again for a long time.

Bagels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I used Gtechniq EXOv4 with Crystal Serum Light on top of it after, and applied ClearVision Smart Glass to all of the windows. Using P&S Bead Maker as a drying aid after every other wash, and water is always beading like crazy :umbrella:

Definitely agree that the prep work is going to determine how well the coatings come out. It did take me the entire day to do the full paint correction and apply the coatings, morning to midnight.

jayhoang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
Performed my own as well using CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0. The ceramic coating process itself is not the hard part - it's the paint correction that needs all the attention. If they're just ceramic coating your car and not polishing and prepping it - then that could be why it's a low price...

Really quick:
- Prep with a contaminant remover such as CarPro Iron-X
- Claybar to remove surface contaminants
- Polish to remove surface swirls. You can use any polish/pad you wish
- Once done polishing, use a surface prep like CarPro Eraser to remove any polish oils leftover. The surface must be free of any oils for the ceramic coat to bond
- Applying ceramic coat panel by panel - watching carefully for when it flashes and wipe away. Ambient humidity and temperature will play a big role in flashing times. Wipe carefully away ensuring you don't miss a spot or it will result in "high spots" of ceramic coat which can only be removed by polishing again.

Depending on the coating you use, after care is different. For CQuartz, I left it to sit in the garage to cure for almost 3 weeks before taking it out. I had the option of doing so because it was still parked and wasn't going anywhere...

Once that 3 week period ended, I applied CarPro Reload - this is just a "top coating" that applies a slick surface to the ceramic. CQuartz is not slick like wax upon application as you might expect - so the reload helps to create that feeling. This can be applied every few months. Other coatings don't need this - so again, it depends on what you use.

Here's a quick blog post on my process on my CTR
https://lifewithjson.com/2020/03/22/diy-carpro-cquartz-uk-3-0-on-the-type-r/

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone try Avalon King's ceramic coating before?
I used it on my 2018 SI and it was terrible. I bought Carpro 3.0UK for my CTR that I plan to apply in the near future.

jayhoang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
Did mine yesterday. Wash, clay bar, polish and ceramic coat. Looking good so far.
Just worth noting that this is not the same as the ceramic coating as CQuartz, CeramicPro or any of the other small, concentrated bottles - just to avoid confusion.
It's more of the in-between of wax and true ceramic coats.

Ie., this does not require polishing to remove - it typically will wear off much quicker on it's own.

Not meaning to rain down on anyone's parade either - I just wanted to clarify.

Krisis52

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
I have experience with Avalon King's ceramic coating. Did my wifes CX5 and my Velositer N. Just picked up a CTR yesterday and plan on doing it to that car as well. A lot of work but worth it in the end. Takes no time to wash the cars, and then just spray them with P&S Bead maker for maintenance to the ceramic coat. Happy to answer questions if you have any. Its been almost a year one the wifes car and its still shines like the day it was put on. Was really helpful keeping all the nooks and crannies clean as well.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating Questions MVIMG_20190902_122922
Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating Questions MVIMG_20190831_114404

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I will be doing avolon on mine at end of the month. Glad to see it works well from a fellow enthusiast.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I used Gtechniq EXOv4 with Crystal Serum Light on top of it after, and applied ClearVision Smart Glass to all of the windows. Using P&S Bead Maker as a drying aid after every other wash, and water is always beading like crazy :umbrella:

Definitely agree that the prep work is going to determine how well the coatings come out. It did take me the entire day to do the full paint correction and apply the coatings, morning to midnight.
I would suggest against using beadmaker as a drying aid. You're losing the properties of the Gtechniq coatings by coating it with an inferior product like beadmaker. I would recommend something like Kamikaze Overcoat or Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz.
Sponsored