First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
Looks awesome!
Where/how did you do it? Did you have many miles on the pipes before doing this?

I may be upgrading my turbo and/or IC, and was going to wrap my pipes... This looks much cleaner. After seeing two variations, I'm inclined to go this route.

Anyone have before/after temp data? As much as these looks kill, if wrapping my pipes in that lava rock fiber stuff yield better thermal management I'm going that route.
You can go to just about any “ceramic” coating shop.
My pipes cost me about $50 to get coated.
if you are getting new turbo, etc, and you are looking to get new pipes, get them coated before wearing them.
then you don’t have to carry around dirty old pipes. ?

Truthfully IMO, coating stock parts wouldnt be worth it anyway.
going from stock DP to PRL 3” (Or any other for that matter) is going to pull more heat out quicker, so this helps manage that.

A combo of both would be ideal- lava wrap and thermal coating, but there’s also the “risk” (if you would even call it that because it’s unlikely but possible) of getting oil on your wrap. They can potentially catch fire if that happens.

Additionally, they can wear quicker depending on climate, weather conditions etc.

I personally chose to coat mine because of the 118*F AZ summers.

There is definitely a noticeable better iat, but with how congested our engine bays are, it’s best when used in conjunction with things like: better venting, upgraded IC, CAI, the list goes on.
Sponsored

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks awesome!
Where/how did you do it? Did you have many miles on the pipes before doing this?

I may be upgrading my turbo and/or IC, and was going to wrap my pipes... This looks much cleaner. After seeing two variations, I'm inclined to go this route.

Anyone have before/after temp data? As much as these looks kill, if wrapping my pipes in that lava rock fiber stuff yield better thermal management I'm going that route.
i had a powder coating shop do it prior to installation (cost about $150 for both pieces) but you can do it on a used set if you clean them up well. the only downside of wrapping is if you live in a wet climate it can trap water/condensation and cause premature failure of your parts.

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Some more food for thought.

I don't know if regular powder coating is the same as what I used "JET-HOT", a decade ago to silver coat Stainless long tube header's internal/external surface! Same headers are still in decent condition.

There are reports that wrapping exhaust header or piping can cause extensive damage.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
As others said, just the outside coating will prevent heat in the metal inside from going through the ceramic so it works. Coating inside and outside will definitely be better as you now have 2 ceramic barriers and less heat gets to the metal part but I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra cost if you have a catless DP. As far as having chips fly out, it will only go out back and not back in the turbo so unless you coat the exhaust manifold, there is nothing to worry about.

For having tested side pipes on an old corvette just stainless vs ceramic coated outside only, there was almost a 200 degree difference after the same trip before/after. It was the difference between leaving skin on the pipe if your calf touched it and just feeling hot and not even a 1st degree burn before you moved the leg.
Sponsored