Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film?

OP
OP
Itzfreshkickz

Itzfreshkickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Picked the car up yesterday. It's beautiful - the paint surface feels like glass. I just wish I had done it back in July when I first bought the car since I had already picked up some rock chips since then. You can see (and feel) the edges of the PPF but only if you get close and know where to look. I'm extremely happy with the result, but good grief did it take a chunk out of my wallet. I was mainly interested in ease of washing so time will tell down the road if it holds up.

IMG_0237.JPEG

IMG_0233.JPEG

IMG_0232.JPEG
beautiful ?

Jon_Snow

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Country flag
I have an appointment to get my new black 2020 CTR professionally PPF coated on the full front, top, and doors.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm holding back the pics until I get to drive it home Monday, but this week, I had black 3M vinyl wrap done to the hood, roof (including rear spoiler and shark fin), door handles, fuel door, and mirror caps, then I had the WHOLE car (including wheels and windows) CCd (it's still curing). Let me just say, it looks INCREDIBLE. Can't wait to share the pics!

That being said, I asked if they would do the PPF on the front bumper and grill, and the shop I used said they stopped doing "PPF" clear bras because of the warranty claims. I guess too many people think it will prevent all damage, so when a ding shows up, they claimed it. They said the CC will offer a slight advantage over paint, but they refused do the PPF, so I guess I'll see how it all goes.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I got both, partial PPF for the front (bumper and hood is a magnet for rocks, also makes it easier to remove bugs) and rest of the car is ceramic coated.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I'm holding back the pics until I get to drive it home Monday, but this week, I had black 3M vinyl wrap done to the hood, roof (including rear spoiler and shark fin), door handles, fuel door, and mirror caps, then I had the WHOLE car (including wheels and windows) CCd (it's still curing). Let me just say, it looks INCREDIBLE. Can't wait to share the pics!

That being said, I asked if they would do the PPF on the front bumper and grill, and the shop I used said they stopped doing "PPF" clear bras because of the warranty claims. I guess too many people think it will prevent all damage, so when a ding shows up, they claimed it. They said the CC will offer a slight advantage over paint, but they refused do the PPF, so I guess I'll see how it all goes.
It’s just a pure pain to apply PPF, plus so many shops doing a huge mistake by applying it all year long....( I have a Partial PPF and they redid it 3 times. I definitely would do it again, but install should be done during summer period and you need to leave car for 2 days to let it heal, otherwise you’ll have constant troubles with film pulling off in the corners....)

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The cost of professional ceramic is 80% the prep work.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You still need to wash your car, it’s just easier to do with ceramic coating
Yes, but you can't take it through a car wash. So no money spent. I found out today though that there are maintenance 'touch ups' recommended about every year for daily drivers that will run about $300, so there really isn't much of a savings.

My last car got nasty build up and scratches from the car wash so the cc takes that out of the equation. The build up happened with the one, and only, pass I did with the new car though.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

And now, the pics as promised...

Got my car back from the wrapping/ceramic coating shop today!

Wrapped in 3M gloss black are:
Hood, Roof, Rear upper spoiler and hatch, mirror caps, door handles and cups, and fuel door. More pics in showcase.

Ceramic coated is EVERYTHING you see (body, windows, & wheels)

The Dent Guys in Warner Robins did me right! The dude that did the door cups is an artist! All done by hand...

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? 20201026_182130

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? 20201026_182216

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? 20201026_182317_post

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? 20201026_182301_LI

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? 122138170_3511112385621539_2866187101953022060_o

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? 122183616_3511112285621549_7495358662399417792_o

Last edited:

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
Loved this whole thread. I just got my 2020 Civic Type R in Sonic Grey Pearl a few days ago and was debating whether to drop money on smaller wheels and tires first or go with PPF and CC but now that I've seen this conversation I'm going to try and jump on the PPF and CC as soon as possible! Even though its going to cost a pretty penny, it looks like it will be worth it in the long run! Thanks so much for all the pics everyone
Sponsored