Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film?

Pepertrail3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I’ve ceramic coated my car and I love it every day . In the morning when I leave my car outside the dew slides right off like butter.
Sponsored

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Where are you getting your info from? A good paint protection film should easily last up 10 years. Also there is little to no chance at all of it fusing with the paint. In fact most professional recommend both. Protect the high debris impact area's with PPF and then Ceramic coat the rest. You can coat on top of the PPF as well if the Ceramic Coating is compatible with the PPF.
When I was shopping around for PPF/Vinyl Wrapping, a lot of shops told me that any of those two would need to be reapplied after 3/4 years due to fusing. Maybe it's because I'm in SoCal and it's regularly 90+ degrees here, not sure. If I am peddling false information, I apologize, but that's just what I heard from the shops around me.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
When I was shopping around for PPF/Vinyl Wrapping, a lot of shops told me that any of those two would need to be reapplied after 3/4 years due to fusing. Maybe it's because I'm in SoCal and it's regularly 90+ degrees here, not sure. If I am peddling false information, I apologize, but that's just what I heard from the shops around me.
They may just be saying that to drum up more business. But I have not heard of nor seen any PPF fuse to paint.

mgilbert

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 CTR 36404
Country flag
I have an appointment to get my new black 2020 CTR professionally PPF coated on the full front, top, and doors. Then they are going to tint the windows and put two CC coats over the entire car (even on top of the PPF areas). They do a lot of a high end cars and say this is a typical application. I have zero experience with PPF or CC so after Sept. 21 I'll report back and let you know how it went. I'm really curious to see if I can tell a shine difference between the PPF and non PPF parts.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Some of these products may work pretty well but the term "ceramic" is marketing nonsense. Whatever ingredients are in them they are not ceramic. Same thing with "nano". Marketing B.S.
Any good synthetic polymer car wax will give excellent results. And it won't cost thousands of dollars.

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have an appointment to get my new black 2020 CTR professionally PPF coated on the full front, top, and doors. Then they are going to tint the windows and put two CC coats over the entire car (even on top of the PPF areas). They do a lot of a high end cars and say this is a typical application. I have zero experience with PPF or CC so after Sept. 21 I'll report back and let you know how it went. I'm really curious to see if I can tell a shine difference between the PPF and non PPF parts.
I am about to do my car the same; black PPF on hood, roof, door handles, mirror caps, and fuel door, with clear on front bumper, then CC over the whole car. I am having it professionally done, and they suggested the complete CC after the PPF. Please post pics and impressions when yours is done.

I can't get mine in until late Oct/Nov so it would be nice to know if it's worth it to coat over the PPF.

OP
OP
Itzfreshkickz

Itzfreshkickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s holding up good, it’s so easy to wash. I go to a laser car wash and pick the lowest wash package. Water and soap and it comes out clean like the day I got it CC.

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have both. I got PPF for the entire front but i also wanted more so i got 5 year ceramic fenlab heal lite + for everything and wheels and calipers. Looks good and makes washing and drying super easy.

My installer said it's better to have ceramic under ppf though but it doesnt really matter

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have both. I got PPF for the entire front but i also wanted more so i got 5 year ceramic fenlab heal lite + for everything and wheels and calipers. Looks good and makes washing and drying super easy.

My installer said it's better to have ceramic under ppf though but it doesn't really matter
How do the wheels look with the ceramic coat? Does the satin look still show through it, or did it gloss them out? I am about to have everything except the wheels done because I don't really want to lose the look.

My PPF installer said the exact opposite. Ceramic over wrap. Not sure why you would do it the other way. You want the wet look ceramic gives you. If you don't, just wrap it and be done.

Crakzor

First Name
Mathanael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevy Cruze, 2020 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do the wheels look with the ceramic coat? Does the satin look still show through it, or did it gloss them out? I am about to have everything except the wheels done because I don't really want to lose the look.

My PPF installer said the exact opposite. Ceramic over wrap. Not sure why you would do it the other way. You want the wet look ceramic gives you. If you don't, just wrap it and be done.
this was the look after the job
https://www.civicx.com/forum/attachments/3-old-jpg.249342/

it's easy to clean for sure. Ill never brush it but it'll prolly be fine. i just leaf blower dry after i wash

mgilbert

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 CTR 36404
Country flag
I am about to do my car the same; black PPF on hood, roof, door handles, mirror caps, and fuel door, with clear on front bumper, then CC over the whole car. I am having it professionally done, and they suggested the complete CC after the PPF. Please post pics and impressions when yours is done.

I can't get mine in until late Oct/Nov so it would be nice to know if it's worth it to coat over the PPF.
Picked the car up yesterday. It's beautiful - the paint surface feels like glass. I just wish I had done it back in July when I first bought the car since I had already picked up some rock chips since then. You can see (and feel) the edges of the PPF but only if you get close and know where to look. I'm extremely happy with the result, but good grief did it take a chunk out of my wallet. I was mainly interested in ease of washing so time will tell down the road if it holds up.

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? IMG_0237.JPEG

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? IMG_0233.JPEG

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? IMG_0232.JPEG

Last edited:

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Picked the car up yesterday. It's beautiful - the paint surface feels like glass. I just wish I had done it back in July when I first bought the car since I had already picked up some rock chips since then. You can see (and feel) the edges of the PPF but only if you get close and know where to look. I'm extremely happy with the result, but good grief did it take a chunk out of my wallet. I was mainly interested in ease of washing so time will tell down the road if it holds

My appointment is on the 19th . Hoping to avoid any nicks till then!
Sponsored