Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film?

Itzfreshkickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have Black 2020 Hatchback and want to keep that glossy look. Idk which to go with. Any help?

Honda Civic 10th gen Ceramic Coating or Paint Protection Film? 1677626F-E54B-4C6C-A7C9-D339D05BAF5B
Sponsored

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Don't know too much about the paint protection film on a large scale -- as far as I know it'll just be a thicker clear vinyl applied to protect against road chips and I'm sure the higher quality films will keep the sheen underneath. That being said, I think inevitably it won't be as good as bare paint with wax/cc. I use Collinite 845 wax now and the PWP really pops with it -- except for the areas where I have PPF (trunk sill, door handles, door edges) are noticeably duller (although still shiny underneath the film). I assume that film applied to the rest of the car will have that same effect.

I've done consumer-grade ceramic coat before using Chemical Guys' Hydroslick on a black Audi I used to have that went 2 years without a clay/wax, and that restored the shine pretty well. I assume the professional-grade ceramic coats will be even better, but that will have the downside of it not being as good at protecting the paint against larger debris vs PPF.

You can try getting the trunk PPF and see how you like the shine of that over some time first. At the end of the day I think it boils down to:
PPF -- better protection, less shine
CC -- better shine, less protection

I may be wrong here -- I'd love to be corrected by someone who knows more, but from my own research and experience, this is what I've concluded.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Also, think about the cost over time. Paint protection film will need to be redone every few years to keep it from "fusing" with the paint underneath, while ceramic coat will get dull over time and need to be reapplied for maximum sheen/protection. Get a good price approximation from shops near you for both jobs and take that into account. (Unless money isn't a factor for you. In that case, ignore this paragraph)

Archie

First Name
Cj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic coupé lx 2017
Country flag
I’d go with the film for protection. I regret not getting one when I bought the car.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
PPF protects against physical damage, Ceramic coating helps protect against chemical and light abrasion.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
I would suggest CC the body, and then get the film on the front edges (hood, mirrors) - the surfaces that get covered in bugs.

I will say i CC my own car and so far i am impressed. I had a peice of rubber tire fly up and hit my hood. It left a huge black mark on he hood. I was able to simply wipe it off with my thumb because of the CC.

I used Avalon King. For the price - it was great. And honestly one bottle could probably do 2 civic sized vehicles. Time will tell. I applied it in march. And so far, my car looks clean, nice gloss and i hardly wash it. A strong rain storm gets it pretty clean.

https://avalonking.com/

edit for clarity - i did not get PPF on my car. It was something i waffled over.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depends on what you really value. For actual protection of the paint, the PPF is the hands-down winner. Ceramic coating doesn't really protect the paint.

If you value shininess, then ceramic coating is better. It provides some protection, but nowhere near what PPF provides.

My NSX has full-body PPF. It was bloody expensive, but I don't regret it one bit. I don't have any PPF on my Civic. I applied ceramic coating myself nearly 3 years ago. I was rather disappointed in its performance. It doesn't provide much abrasion resistance. In fact, the lower half didn't survive a single winter.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thing is, both are different in purpose. Ceramic coating will keep the luster and deep shine of the paint. But CC won't stop a rock or debris from dinging your car. Paint Protection Film will likely stop certain rock chips from damaging the paint. If you go that route, I'd think you would want to CC the paint then apply the PPF over it for best aesthetics.

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I have Black 2020 Hatchback and want to keep that glossy look. Idk which to go with. Any help?
Yes! Do the CC and it will keep that glossy look. CC will lock-in the gloss and it always give that glossy look wash after wash. That’s said, PPF protects better than CC as PPF is a film.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
Also, think about the cost over time. Paint protection film will need to be redone every few years to keep it from "fusing" with the paint underneath, while ceramic coat will get dull over time and need to be reapplied for maximum sheen/protection. Get a good price approximation from shops near you for both jobs and take that into account. (Unless money isn't a factor for you. In that case, ignore this paragraph)
Where are you getting your info from? A good paint protection film should easily last up 10 years. Also there is little to no chance at all of it fusing with the paint. In fact most professional recommend both. Protect the high debris impact area's with PPF and then Ceramic coat the rest. You can coat on top of the PPF as well if the Ceramic Coating is compatible with the PPF.

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
You can do both tbh lol. I personally would never do PPF because it will naturally yellow over time. I'd only PPF a Lambo or some shit lol. Ceramic coat and keep it moving. It'll make your life so much easier with washing and drying the vehicle. It'll make it a more fun experience for you.

markie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
PPF = Protection and your gloss won’t be as gloss.

CM =Less protection and enhanced gloss.
I’m not sure if you’re the type to wrap your car ever in the future, but I would go with CC if you don’t mind small rock chips. PPF overtime leaves a super sticky adhesive on the car. CC can be easily removed at any time with the proper detail.

If you have the money for both, PPF your sensitive areas (bumpers) and CC the non important things (roof, mirror caps, spoiler if you have one, etc).

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
PPF = Protection and your gloss won’t be as gloss.

CM =Less protection and enhanced gloss.
I’m not sure if you’re the type to wrap your car ever in the future, but I would go with CC if you don’t mind small rock chips. PPF overtime leaves a super sticky adhesive on the car. CC can be easily removed at any time with the proper detail.

If you have the money for both, PPF your sensitive areas (bumpers) and CC the non important things (roof, mirror caps, spoiler if you have one, etc).
It will not leave sticky adhesive. You are supposed to use steam to remove the film and if you do it right, there will be very little to clean afterwards. The only reason there may be damage to the paint is if they company that installed the film used a non recommended adhesive or a super cheap PPF. I personally have 3M and have had 3M on a few cars. I had my hood film removed once. They used a steamer and it came off super easy.

markie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
It will not leave sticky adhesive. You are supposed to use steam to remove the film and if you do it right, there will be very little to clean afterwards. The only reason there may be damage to the paint is if they company that installed the film used a non recommended adhesive or a super cheap PPF. I personally have 3M and have had 3M on a few cars. I had my hood film removed once. They used a steamer and it came off super easy.
I should had mention that haha. 3M is usually good, but I watched a few YouTubers who had PPF and regretted it.

OP
OP
Itzfreshkickz

Itzfreshkickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it. For the time being I will be going with Ceramic Coating. Further down the road I will consider the Paint Protection Film. Living in New England with the rough winters I can expect a lot of rock salt to hit my front end.
Sponsored