Ceramic Coating Fail?

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
BTW, ceramic coatings on its own are not slick, they are very grabby. That's why more often then not you'd follow up with a sacrificial coating on top of ceramic in order to add slickness. High spots on the other hand - for sure a lack of experience applying the coating.
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The rainbow effect is from them letting it sit to long before buffing it out, which shows a lack of experience with the product/application technique.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
too many horror stories on ceramics for me to pull the trigger
I did my own with Avalon King Armor Shield IX. My car was new, and white, so i had no paint correction done. I have so far been very happy. Car gets a little dirty with pollen, general grime, and if i get a strong rain storm - it washes right off. No action on my part. I did my body panels and all glass, lights.

https://avalonking.com/

OP
OP
mocaSi

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si & 2016 Honda Fit
Country flag
Well ladies and gents, the car is nearly just as bad. They truly fixed 2 spots, the right taillight and a quarter sized spot on the front bumper. I'm in shock. They told me over the phone more than once they would strip and recoat the entire car. They didn't. These are high spots from the initial coating 2 months ago and for whatever reason they're refusing to fix them properly. My wheels are a nightmare, thank the Lord I didn't buy aftermarket prior to this. It was clear and sunny so I couldn't notice any high spots when I picked it up for the third time!! Waited until dusk and boom it's all still there. Just as bad in all spots except the taillight and spot on the bumper. This whole time they've blamed my wash method and spray detailer. On my initial visit they said get chemical guys everything and now they say chemical guys is not good. This is their excuse. They refuse to take responsibility for these high spots that are blatant. The son argued with me about high spots when I dropped the car off and it's humiliating that he works there for a living and he knows less than me about coatings. He argued and argued that a bright sunny day is best to locate high spots when that's opposite of the truth. Cloudy or dusk beats any fancy light you can shine and bright sunshine is the worst for locating high spots. This is a confirmed fact by the highest names in the ceramic coating world. They also keep blaming the forums I'm on. What the hell does that mean!? The forums magically created over 100 high spots on my car?! I can only assume they're on here and have been reading this. They had 3 chances to make it right. Didn't take responsibility, blamed me the whole time and blamed chemical guys. I told them I located all these spots BEFORE I even touched the car. What a shame. What's next boys? I think they're staging excuses because they know it's inevitable that they need to give me a full refund. I have to get this fixed and they sure as hell won't be doing it. It would be one thing if they held up there end and stripped and reapplied. But no, lie after lie after lie. Three strikes you're out.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well ladies and gents...
Man- i am really sorry to hear this. So frustrating. I am sorry you are in that position. Is there another company you can go to and get it done correctly and then use that company to help support your charge back / or request for a refund?

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Next step is a bad review on every place you can find them and get a refund or charge back.

OP
OP
mocaSi

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Man- i am really sorry to hear this. So frustrating. I am sorry you are in that position. Is there another company you can go to and get it done correctly and then use that company to help support your charge back / or request for a refund?
Thanks man I appreciate it. Yeah there are several other companies in the area that could correct it properly. Great idea for the charge back! I didn't even think about going that route, I for sure need my money back to get the issue corrected.

OP
OP
mocaSi

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Next step is a bad review on every place you can find them and get a refund or charge back.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It's crazy because all the reviews for them are 5 stars. Seems too good to be true to me. Or if they have messed up previous coatings maybe they got lucky and it was someone not knowing what to look for. Charge back route is a great suggestion, I forgot all about that route.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks man I appreciate it. Yeah there are several other companies in the area that could correct it properly. Great idea for the charge back! I didn't even think about going that route, I for sure need my money back to get the issue corrected.
Before you go the charge back route - see if you can take it to another good shop first - perhaps even call another shop and explain your situation and see if they will take a look and basically agree with you on the issues with the poor job the 1st shop did.

Of course you are not looking for drama - but you want the job done right. And you could even state something like " im not pro at this- hence why i am paying someone - but even i can see there is an issue".

Then talk with the owner/manager of the 1st shop and explain that you have given them 3 attempts to fix the issue and it has not been completed to your satisfaction. You would like your money refunded. If they state no - use the 2nd or 3rd shop you visit as validation - and state that you expect your money refunded or you will perform a charge back.

Vendors can fight a charge back - so you dont always want to go that way first. And you might even need to talk to your credit card company before doing the charge back - as some CCs have more buyer protection built in.

In truth - if a good shop had a car come back a 3rd time - a manager or owner should have been involved. Instead it sounds like the "kid" was tossed onto your car each time. Shoot, if someone brought their car into me a 3rd time - at that point i would be getting a senior tech to look at it and use it as a learning experience.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. It's crazy because all the reviews for them are 5 stars. Seems too good to be true to me. Or if they have messed up previous coatings maybe they got lucky and it was someone not knowing what to look for. Charge back route is a great suggestion, I forgot all about that route.
A store with a bunch of 5 star reviews is even more shady than a store with no reviews or lower ratings.

OP
OP
mocaSi

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Before you go the charge back route - see if you can take it to another good shop first - perhaps even call another shop and explain your situation and see if they will take a look and basically agree with you on the issues with the poor job the 1st shop did.

Of course you are not looking for drama - but you want the job done right. And you could even state something like " im not pro at this- hence why i am paying someone - but even i can see there is an issue".

Then talk with the owner/manager of the 1st shop and explain that you have given them 3 attempts to fix the issue and it has not been completed to your satisfaction. You would like your money refunded. If they state no - use the 2nd or 3rd shop you visit as validation - and state that you expect your money refunded or you will perform a charge back.

Vendors can fight a charge back - so you dont always want to go that way first. And you might even need to talk to your credit card company before doing the charge back - as some CCs have more buyer protection built in.

In truth - if a good shop had a car come back a 3rd time - a manager or owner should have been involved. Instead it sounds like the "kid" was tossed onto your car each time. Shoot, if someone brought their car into me a 3rd time - at that point i would be getting a senior tech to look at it and use it as a learning experience.
You're absolutely amazing man. Thank you so much for be so willing to help me resolve this. Just to take the time to lay all that out means so much. That seems like a great plan of attack. I didn't want to go at it wrong and make the wrong move right away. I will be showing this to my wife so she is on the same page with me and we can hopefully secure the refund.

OP
OP
mocaSi

mocaSi

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
A store with a bunch of 5 star reviews is even more shady than a store with no reviews or lower ratings.
Yeah I know right, a fellow member on here has used them several times with great success so it's hard to know what the deal really is. I lean towards it being the owners good ole boy son that screwed my car up. He told on himself by all his actions and arguing. Not to mention him bringing up his own truck and how he coated it and it looks amazing lol he's a joke.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Another thought that might help, most shops that use commercial grade ceramic coatings need to be certified by the coating manufacturer to purchase and apply said coating. You may try contacting the coating company themselves and voicing your concerns. They may in turn revoke this shops certification and might even help you find a shop to get things squared away.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another thought that might help, most shops that use commercial grade ceramic coatings need to be certified by the coating manufacturer to purchase and apply said coating. You may try contacting the coating company themselves and voicing your concerns. They may in turn revoke this shops certification and might even help you find a shop to get things squared away.
VERY good idea.
Sponsored