Centering RING FOR SOME WHEELS?

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
OEM wheels don't need rings because the wheel bore size matches exactly with the wheel hub.

Aftermarket wheels need a hub ring to help center the wheel and is recommended by many aftermarket wheel companies. This is because the wheel bore is larger than the wheel hub. The rings help especially when you have a technician that isn't familiar with your car.

https://konigwheels.com/wheel-info-tech/hub-centric-and-centerbore/
Sponsored

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2020 BMW M2c , 2020 LR Defender 110
Country flag
OEM wheels don't need rings because the wheel bore size matches exactly with the wheel hub.

Aftermarket wheels need a hub ring to help center the wheel and is recommended by many aftermarket wheel companies. This is because the wheel bore is larger than the wheel hub. The rings help especially when you have a technician that isn't familiar with your car.

https://konigwheels.com/wheel-info-tech/hub-centric-and-centerbore/
You should probably read page 1. ???

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You mean an aftermarket parts company thinks you need to spend more money? No way!!!!???

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
You mean an aftermarket parts company thinks you need to spend more money? No way!!!!???
Can you name a big aftermarket wheel company that actually sells hub rings? Weird that they recommend rings when they don't sell any themselves.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
If that were the case, then the lugs would not have a self-centering features. The wheels would have flat surfaces for the lug nuts to mate to. But they don't. They have (all vehicles I know of) conical or spherical mating surfaces BECAUSE these are self-centering features.
Are you talking about aftermarket wheels or OEM wheels? If OEM, Toyota doesn't use self centering lug nuts.

Honda Civic 10th gen Centering RING FOR SOME WHEELS? 1599531333055

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you name a big aftermarket wheel company that actually sells hub rings? Weird that they recommend rings when they don't sell any themselves.
Plenty do including Rays and Enkei.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Plenty do including Rays and Enkei.
Just think about it. Mount an aftermarket wheel w/o a ring onto the wheel hub, impact the first lug nut to about 80 ft lbs. Do you think that first lug perfectly centered the wheel?

This is how all mechanics will mount your wheel. This is why hub rings are used, so the wheel is already centered onto the hub before the lug nut is impacted onto the wheel hub. The mechanic isn't going to slowly torque each lug nut to 20 ft lbs in a star pattern, then go over all of them again at 80 ft lbs.

If hub centric didn't matter, why would OEM wheels be hub centric from the factory? Why would they specify a specific hub size for every OEM that's out there. The OEMs don't manufacture their own wheels.

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just think about it. Mount an aftermarket wheel w/o a ring onto the wheel hub, impact the first lug nut to about 80 ft lbs. Do you think that first lug perfectly centered the wheel?

This is how all mechanics will mount your wheel. This is why hub rings are used, so the wheel is already centered onto the hub before the lug nut is impacted onto the wheel hub. The mechanic isn't going to slowly torque each lug nut to 20 ft lbs in a star pattern, then go over all of them again at 80 ft lbs.
Aftermarket conical lugs match the conical surface of the wheel. Therefore it’s lugcentric which is just as centered as hub centric. I don’t know anyone that uses hub rings and that’s on race tracks. ?

I also don’t have random mechanics touch my cars much less my wheel mounting.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Aftermarket conical lugs match the conical surface of the wheel. Therefore it’s lugcentric which is just as centered as hub centric. I don’t know anyone that uses hub rings and that’s on race tracks. ?

I also don’t have random mechanics touch my cars much less my wheel mounting.
There are plenty of OEM wheels that use conical lug nuts and are also hub centric.

good ol' because people who bring their cars to the track don't use them excuse. some don't run wheel weights because they'll melt off. does that mean you shouldn't run wheel weights on public roads?

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are plenty of OEM wheels that use conical lug nuts and are also hub centric.

good ol' because people who bring their cars to the track don't use them excuse. some don't run wheel weights because they'll melt off. does that mean you shouldn't run wheel weights on public roads?
Never heard of not using wheel weights. ?

Tell me more about your track experience and knowledge. I’ve daily driven and tracked several cars with aftermarket wheels and no rings. Never a problem as they are lugcentric mounted. Do you suspect that your studs are off center or something?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Never heard of not using wheel weights. ?

Tell me more about your track experience and knowledge. I’ve daily driven and tracked several cars with aftermarket wheels and no rings. Never a problem as they are lugcentric mounted. Do you suspect that your studs are off center or something?
Never heard of them falling off from heat? Your track wheels/tires are probably out of balance after one event from flat spotting, tire wear, etc. Comparing track wheels to street wheels is pretty irrelevant.

Just because you haven't experienced any issues doesn't mean everyone won't. I'm not sure why there's even an argument over $10 rings. They can't hurt, right?

Also being lug centric doesn't mean you won't have vibrations. There's a TSB for VW Touaregs for steering wheel vibrations due to incorrect mounting of the wheel. Those also have lug centric rings from the factory.

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/114585/V481504

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
When someone says something is going to be aligned "perfectly" or "exactly" tells me that they do not know the first thing about mechanics or mechanical engineering.

If someone wants to go buy something to solve a problem they don't have. Great, go do that then. Enjoy.

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Never heard of them falling off from heat? Your track wheels/tires are probably out of balance after one event from flat spotting, tire wear, etc. Comparing track wheels to street wheels is pretty irrelevant.

Just because you haven't experienced any issues doesn't mean everyone won't. I'm not sure why there's even an argument over $10 rings. They can't hurt, right?

Also being lug centric doesn't mean you won't have vibrations. There's a TSB for VW Touaregs for steering wheel vibrations due to incorrect mounting of the wheel. Those also have lug centric rings from the factory.

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/114585/V481504
I’ve never had a weight fall off from heat and I don’t know anyone that has. I also have never had out of balance wheels after track events. 200TW tires don’t act like Formula 1 tires, dude. I’ve never even flat spotted a 50/60 TW tire. And comparing aftermarket track wheels to aftermarket street wheels is definitely relevant.
Sponsored