amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Think you answered your question yourself. Everything you stated points to catted.
Hahaha you got me there. I am just trying to see if there really is any other benefits from catless, like a drastic sound improvement, or drastic heat soak improvement. And with a catback exhaust how much louder would the overall sound really be if I went with catless versus catted.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
Hahaha you got me there. I am just trying to see if there really is any other benefits from catless, like a drastic sound improvement, or drastic heat soak improvement. And with a catback exhaust how much louder would the overall sound really be if I went with catless versus catted.
As far as sound that would be more of a personal preference on what your ear likes. Thought I have seen some people switch from catless to catted and like the sound better but that could go the opposite way as well.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
To me catless sounds sooooo bad on this car with most exhausts that I've heard. It's like the Remus exhaust with valve all the way open.... Raspy raspy raspy. Sounds like a 90s straight piped fart box. I was considering changing to one when I got a new turbo and didn't have to worry about breaking studs, but after hearing what it sounds like I'll take the insignificantly lower power for good sound.

Then again it may not sound absolutely awful with specific exhausts

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Besides the gain of a bit of power, on this car, a catless might be able to help reducing the heat soak problem a bit due to cat located so far up.

GixxerMKD

First Name
Baze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Hatchback Sport 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone has PRL catless dp with mufler delete on hatcback? How does it sounds?
Im running the catless dp with cai and tsp map 3 for some time now, but im missing a deeper sound, just want to make sure its not going to sound like a tin can.

Last edited:

I82MUCH

First Name
SNACKDADDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8, 2019 SGP FK7
Country flag
Anyone has PRL catless dp with mufler delete on hatcback? How does it sounds?
Im running the catless dp with cai and tsp map 3 for some time now, but im missing a deeper sound, just want to make sure its not going to sound like a tin can.
Driving a Type R here. I cut off the 2 mufflers on both sides and it made like no difference to me. I should've cut off the middle one too but I just ended up buying an exhaust.

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Driving around on the street without a cat is illegal and discussing doing so is against forum rules.
It's not illegal in Florida. You can't make blanket statements like that. In Florida if the owner removes the cat there is nothing illegal about it. We have ZERO emissions laws.

Please do your research before making statements that you have no clue on.

Thanks.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Go highflow - cat. Avoid having a wife/girlfriend bitch everyday about the smell.
The difference in power is so minimal that you will not feel it.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As I said in my first post, I know what the reality on the ground is. I lived in this terrible state long enough, and drove enough friend's actual drift cars with open headers that I know that "the law" and "the enforced law" are vastly different.

I'm just making the point that dude told me to "do my research" while doing literally none of his own.
Dude you are absolutely right about state and federal laws about removing CAT, but like you and everyone mentioned its not enforced at all in Florida which basically makes the law non-existent.
However you did mention that discussing this "illegal" act of removing the CAT is against forum rules, which if were the case, half the posts on this forum would get deleted. C'mon dude, be realistic here, I have not really read the forum rules that much but talking about a MOD that every car person would eventually do is not against the rules. One could assume these mods are for off-road/street use only. Lighten up a little bit, please. But you are right about fl emission laws, I'll give you that, but its the forum rules part that got to most people reading this thread.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's the rules. You should read them and know them, anyway.

I'm not naive. I know the score. I also know that removing the primary emissions equipment dumps orders of magnitude more pollutants into the air than leaving it on, reducing how long we've got left before the world burns up. I don't seriously think I'm changing any minds being Forum Cop, but hey, I want to try.
No one said you were naive. Like I said, you can't do much for people who want to track their cars. So in that respect its completely legal and within the forum rules. If you want to be a Forum Cop, there are 1,000 of threads and post that you need to be responding to. Sounds like a lot of people like running catted DPs anyway on the Type R, so its a good thing. I completely agree with you on the environment but this is not the best place to advocate this, its a civic forum where people mod their cars from front to end. Its good that you are trying but it will only cause people to make fun and put you down. That is not what I am trying to do here, I am just being realistic and truthful.
Hopefully you don't get more offended from what I am telling you and that pollution from cars is not even close to the magnitude of pollution caused by other industries as well as the coal burned for electricity, and the list goes on. On top of that civics are pretty fuel efficient. And if you looks at air pollution caused by transportation, a lot of it is from airplanes and not cars. So even if all the civics in the world went Catless, it wouldn't even make the smallest dent in the world. Again just being realistic here, not against the environment or you, so don;t get offended. You sound like a good person so please understand.
Honda Civic 10th gen Catted vs catless? 1589430487681

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
I am willing to bet those figures in your chart are based off cars following guidelines and are using a catalytic converter. Small things add up and it isn't just Civics going catless. Add up all the car enthusiast across all makes/models, new/old, port injected,/direct injected, carburetor etc etc etc going catless and the issue is bigger than what you make it seem.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am willing to bet those figures in your chart are based off cars following guidelines and are using a catalytic converter. Small things add up and it isn't just Civics going catless. Add up all the car enthusiast across all makes/models, new/old, port injected,/direct injected, carburetor etc etc etc going catless and the issue is bigger than what you make it seem.
It was a chart from 2015. And your prob right. Still though, much more pollution is cause by other ways than just cars without cats. The issue is much smaller than what you both make it seem. At the end of the day you have to prove what your saying, show me some data so I can believe what you are saying. I want to believe that it could make a difference but I just don’t at the moment. And you 2 should go ok a quest to change the world one catless dp at a time. Ohh, and don’t forget all the electric cars that use electricity that comes from the burning of coal. I think about 40% of it comes from burning of coal. The only way to save the environment these days is to live off the grid which you two clearly don’t do since your on a forum. But seriously, go find me some data so I can be convinced of what your so desperately arguing about so I can believe you. Maybe I’ll change my mind, but for your own sanity I was never going to go catless, catted is my future option.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also there is this:
Environmental impact

Catalytic converters have proven to be reliable and effective in reducing noxious tailpipe emissions. However, they also have some shortcomings and adverse environmental impacts in production:

• Although catalytic converters are effective at removing hydrocarbons and other harmful emissions, they do not reduce the emission of carbon dioxide (CO2) produced when fossil fuels are burnt.
  • Carbon dioxide produced from fossil fuels is one of the greenhouse gases indicated by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to be a “most likely” cause of global warming.
  • The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has stated automobile emissions are a significant and growing cause of global warming, because of their release of nitrous oxide (N2O), a greenhouse gas over three hundred times more potent than carbon dioxide. The EPA states that motor vehicles contribute approximately 8.2% of anthropogenic nitrous oxide emissions in 2008, from a high of 17.77% in 1998.
  • Nitrous oxide makes up 7.2% of greenhouse gases.
  • An engine equipped with a three-way catalyst must run at the stoichiometric point, which means more fuel is consumed than in a lean-burn engine. This, in turn, means relatively more CO2 emissions from the vehicle. Nevertheless, catalyst-equipped engines produce cleaner exhaust than lean-burn engines.
  • Catalytic converter production requires palladium or platinum; part of the world supply of these precious metals is produced near Norilsk, Russia, where the industry (among others) has caused Norilsk to be added to Time magazine’s list of most-polluted places.

• in summary the thing that causes global warming is not being removed by the cat. Also the production of cats cause a lot of pollution.
Sponsored