First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 Type R #00561, 2012 Civic Si, 2000 Civic CX Hatchback
Country flag
Hey guys,

I’m considering going in on a downpipe for my next mod, but I’m a little unsure which way to go. From what I understand catted vs catless should be reasonably similar with the catless having slightly better gains. I’m thinking of going catless, but mainly for the cost break. My state does not require emission checks so I’m not worried about that. My main questions are:

1 - Is there an issue with exhaust smell with the catless? Anyone here daily driving a catless?

2 - Would a tune be required, or just highly recommended? I’m ok if the “full potential” doesn’t come out right away until I can tune, just don’t want to get stuck with CELs or have the car perform strangely (boost creep or something.)

3 - What is the noise difference between the two? Does anyone think a catless for a daily driver would be too excessive?

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored

bbdave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If you’re running a stock exhaust with a catless downpipe (from my experience) you while have a slightly deeper and ever so slightly louder exhaust. I personally like it. It’s not over the top and has a great tone to it. The drone really isn’t any worse than factory. The smell is there, but I’ve ran catless in my previous car. You really won’t smell it if your windows are up. If you’re windows are down and you’re coming to a stop you will smell it. That being said it’s not terrible. Also running catless will allow the turbo to spool up quicker (less turbo lag, noticeable difference). No tune is required but is beneficial. Make sure you have a O2 spacer in the secondary.
I currently have the USR downpipe (same as P2R) with the premium O2 spacer, no CEL. I’ve been catless for around 1.5k miles.

Last edited:

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If you’re running a stock exhaust with a catless downpipe (from my experience) you while have a slightly deeper and ever so slightly louder exhaust. I personally like it. It’s not over the top and has a great tone to it. The drone really isn’t any worse than factory. The smell is there, but I’ve ran catless in my previous car. You really won’t smell it if your windows are up. If you’re windows are down and you’re coming to a stop you will smell it. That being said it’s not terrible. Also running catless will allow the turbo to spool up quicker (less turbo lag, noticeable difference). No tune is required but is beneficial. Make sure you have a O2 spacer in the secondary.
I currently have the USR downpipe (same as P2R) with the premium O2 spacer, no CEL. I’ve been catless for around 1.5k miles.
I just wonder if it's so bad that people you're riding with will smell it and feel unconfortable. Like my dad or my sister who are not into modding cars or anything like that they're just regular people who want a ride, a confortable ride. Also, does using ktuner to turn off the o2 sensor works in order to not get a cel?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just wonder if it's so bad that people you're riding with will smell it and feel unconfortable. Like my dad or my sister who are not into modding cars or anything like that they're just regular people who want a ride, a confortable ride. Also, does using ktuner to turn off the o2 sensor works in order to not get a cel?
You’re not going to smell anything inside the car. You can disable the CEL with Ktuner or Hondata.

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You’re not going to smell anything inside the car. You can disable the CEL with Ktuner or Hondata.
that gives me confidence. I'm definetely going catless :) I have ktuner v1.2 already so I just need to learn how to disable it with the laptop. do you know where i can find this info?

06S2k07Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 S2000 22 RDX 13 CB1000R 22 Veloster N 18 Type R
Country flag
I've had the same experience and in multiple cars...ain't no big deal to me...I prefer catless to catted. To me cats stink!

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've had the same experience and in multiple cars...ain't no big deal to me...I prefer catless to catted. To me cats stink!
what's not a big deal, the exhaust smell?

06S2k07Si

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 S2000 22 RDX 13 CB1000R 22 Veloster N 18 Type R
Country flag
what's not a big deal, the exhaust smell?
Yes...I don't think it's that bad....just different really. ..imho. Better than the rotten egg smell of the cat.

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yes...I don't think it's that bad....just different really. ..imho. Better than the rotten egg smell of the cat.
hahaha so if you're windows are up you won't smell it? I'm new at this so...

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
that gives me confidence. I'm definetely going catless :) I have ktuner v1.2 already so I just need to learn how to disable it with the laptop. do you know where i can find this info?
Check the disables menu,

luispe7

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag
For myself will always prefer a catted version. Only if it is a track car only that will never be on the street would I do a catless exhaust.

People following behind you will smell it and I think it is a courtesy not only to drivers around you but also to the environment. Its purpose isn't just for smell. It reduces the following
  • Carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas)
  • Nitrogen oxides (a cause of smog and acid rain)
  • Hydrocarbons (a cause of smog)

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
For myself will always prefer a catted version. Only if it is a track car only that will never be on the street would I do a catless exhaust.

People following behind you will smell it and I think it is a courtesy not only to drivers around you but also to the environment. Its purpose isn't just for smell. It reduces the following
  • Carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas)
  • Nitrogen oxides (a cause of smog and acid rain)
  • Hydrocarbons (a cause of smog)

If a cop is behind you....... Yup.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Without kids & parking the car in an outdoor garage, the catless option is less of inconvenient. However, keep in mind, you always can get a 200 cel dowmpipe, no smell around the car when it is ON & the windows are down.

In my old car, I had a modular downpipe: catless during the weekend & catted when with the family. We don't have that option yet, still - for what we want the catless option it will smell a lot, unless you need it as your dedicated race car.
Sponsored