Catch Can for CTR

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
^The oil catch-can was beaten to a pulp of dead horse when the 1.5T was brand new.

Fuck research and "experts", as each DI engine behaves entirely differently, some have tons of buildup, some have none. What it is is cheap insurance, and peace of mind for the owner.

I got one in my car, I check it every 6 months or so, and I dispose of the ~5tbsp of oil that always finds its way into the can.
Sponsored

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Catch Can for CTR DSCN3443

this is what happens to all DI engines on the intake valves. Its because in a port injected engine the detergents in the fuel cleans these deposits while in a DI engine the fuel is squirted directly in to the combustion chamber and doesn't wash the valves. Long term, this causes powerloss and misfiring. Some engines are worse than other like turbo audis and bmw but it not treated can be an issue.
Catch can isn't going to help with DI deposits as they are caused by unburned combustion deposits contacting the valves during the intake stroke. Manufacturers have got better at adjusting the timing but the only real way to ensure there are no deposits is going with the dual injection as adding multiport injection helps clean the valves. It has to be noted that most newer DI engines aren't nearly as bad for deposits as the early ones released by Audi last decade. There were a few guys in the Focus ST community that had 100k miles on their cars and the deposits weren't that bad at all.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Catch can isn't going to help with DI deposits as they are caused by unburned combustion deposits contacting the valves during the intake stroke. Manufacturers have got better at adjusting the timing but the only real way to ensure there are no deposits is going with the dual injection as adding multiport injection helps clean the valves. It has to be noted that most newer DI engines aren't nearly as bad for deposits as the early ones released by Audi last decade. There were a few guys in the Focus ST community that had 100k miles on their cars and the deposits weren't that bad at all.
So for a noob like me, what's the best way to clean this junk off? Fuel additive?

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
So for a noob like me, what's the best way to clean this junk off? Fuel additive?
There is not a permanent fix of the issue (because direct injection design) neither we got lucky, getting an extra injector like some models overseas, but so far:

To limit the issue:

1. Oil catch can. it works better in hot places, not so much to collect.

2. Fuel injection cleaner: BG44K.

To kill the issue:

Intake Valve Cleaning with Walnut Shell Blasting or similar – this is the real cure, but not cheap.

Note: during winter time, if you live in a cold place /snow, be prepared to keep emptying that oil canister Every week, and putting a bit of oil again & again. Personal experience.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I don't think it's something that owners should worry about. Just drive your car and enjoy it. If you aren't taking your car to the track on a regular basis there's really no point in using a catch can IMO as I haven't used one in a decade and I've owned a lot of turbocharged cars in that time span.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Don't bother with fuel additive. With Direct Injection the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder not mixed into the airstream going to/past the valves.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
I dont know how well it works but I used to run chemtool b12 or Seafoam in to the intake on my DI cars every other oil change.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to chime in here, and first off, a shameless plug for the catch can kit we're working on currently on, if you haven't checked it out already, here.

Also, @NorthernEX-T, I can almost guarantee that our catch cans won't over flow between regular oil service intervals. We've actually only had a very few amount of vehicles completely fill one of our compact cans before a service interval, but they were vehicles notorious for excessive blow-by, like the BMW N54 and Dodge's 5.7.

We've actually found that catch cans will help DI setups more than port injection. Basically since the fuel isn't being injected over the valves, they aren't benefiting from the detergents that typically keep them clean, leaving them susceptible to the contaminated blow-by gasses recirculating through the PCV. While the catch can won't completely remove the problem, it will definitely keep the valves much cleaner.

I hope this info helps those who had questions!

-Nick

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
103000 miles here on my Mk5 2007 GTI. No problems of misfire or any symptoms I notice from carbon build up. I am the 1st and only owner. I live in Las Vegas
Sponsored