Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R PMM #1056
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try it out!
Throw a 16lb bag of ice into your 5 gallon car wash bucket next time you go to wash the car... also try to wait until the coldest, windiest f#&$*ing day you have. Stick something inside your hose to simulate a frozen-over hose. Wear long sleeves, get them wet, it's so FUN!!!
LOL and I’m here in CA complaining because it’s in the 60’s! I hate living here but you can’t beat the weather!
Sponsored

Zipsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 2016 BMW i8
Country flag
LOL and I’m here in CA complaining because it’s in the 60’s! I hate living here but you can’t beat the weather!
So true. Two benefits to living in Cali: 1) Can was cars in winter in your driveway. 2) Don't have to buy winter tires.

Z.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Paint damage aside, I'd be concerned about automatic washes with the rotating brush that moves over the top of the vehicle ripping off the spoiler. The ones with the hanging brushes that move from side to side over the top of the vehicle wouldn't bother me as much.

Honda has few warnings against automatic car washes including folding in the side mirrors, making sure all wipers are off, and following the car wash instructions. The latter may warn against vehicles with tall spoilers.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
I'm doing raise thru with DI-120, then Shine Supply Waterless wash if car is dirty...but if only dusty, then it would just be Waterless wash. Its just a lot easier to keep the car clean, now that it's coated.

EDIT: I'm lucky I have a garage to park at night. Some may not be as lucky.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I'm doing raise thru with DI-120, then Shine Supply Waterless wash if car is dirty...but if only dusty, then it would just be Waterless wash. Its just a lot easier to keep the car clean, now that it's coated.

EDIT: I'm lucky I have a garage to park at night. Some may not be as lucky.
I have a farm on a dirt road, I can't get mad about it getting a little dirty

Before the flaming starts ... I had clear bra done on the nose, mirrors and lower portion of the side panels all the way back

Please spare the pitch forks and torches

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a farm on a dirt road, I can't get mad about it getting a little dirty

Before the flaming starts ... I had clear bra done on the nose, mirrors and lower portion of the side panels all the way back
A coating of dirt can actually be a good thing!

My new Si got covered in light gray industrial enamel paint overspray from a neighboring business just weeks after I bought it a few months ago. A few of us who keep squeaky clean cars got hit the hardest - the overspray glued itself to the paint very well. The rest of my coworkers whose cars are covered in road film and dust because they never wash them weren't really affected - the dirt actually kept the overspray from sticking to the paint. :(

I'm having the overspray removed and the responsible party is paying for it. Hopefully, they won't be painting outside anymore after being hit with several thousand dollars in claims.

Last edited:

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
A coating of dirt can actually be a good thing!

My new Si got covered in light gray industrial enamel paint overspray from a neighboring business just weeks after I bought it a few months ago. A few of us who keep squeaky clean cars got hit the hardest - the overspray glued itself to the paint very well. The rest of my coworkers whose cars are covered in road film and dust because they never wash them weren't really affected - the dirt actually kept the overspray from sticking to the paint. :(

I'm having the overspray removed and the responsible party is paying for it. Hopefully, they won't be painting outside anymore after being hit with several thousand dollars in claims.
Several thousand? That stuff should clay and polish right off the clearcoat.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
As the weather is getting colder & messy, washing the Type R by hand becomes difficult, has anyone taken their car through a basic carwash? Just wondering if it would be safe for the rear wing, touch less washes don't do a great job and would love to know if anyone has tried? Thanks!
Do not try it! I was about to go through one and the owner ran out and said it would more than likely cause damage my car. He then had his wife come out and handwash it.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Several thousand? That stuff should clay and polish right off the clearcoat.
30 vehicles in our parking lot affected at several hundred dollars each to clay, polish, and replace plastic trim pieces = several thousands of dollars.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
30 vehicles in our parking lot affected at several hundred dollars each to clay, polish, and replace plastic trim pieces = several thousands of dollars.
30? Who was doing the painting, the boss’ wife’s nephew that can’t normally hold down a job? Sorry to hear, man.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
30? Who was doing the painting, the boss’ wife’s nephew that can’t normally hold down a job? Sorry to hear, man.
Haha! There is a business about 500 feet across the highway from where I work that repairs and refinishes equipment used by the oil and gas industry. Some of the parts are too large to fit in their paint booth, so they spray them inside a metal building with the doors open or just outside the building. When the wind is coming from that direction, the paint mist is carried hundreds of feet in the direction of our parking lot.

This actually started a few years ago when I noticed a black Ridgeline I had at the time was covered in overspray. I spent hours and hours claying and polishing off the overspray only for it to return several week later. I interviewed the closest businesses and had our own paint booth evaluated in an unsuccessful attempt to located the source. After my Si became contaminated soon after purchase, I decided to get more aggressive in locating the source of the overspray. I purchased some glossy black tiles from the hardware store and set them in the parking lot at work - carefully examining them twice each day for evidence of overspray.

About a week ago, I left work to find tiny dots of paint on one of the tiles near my car. I noted the direction the wind was coming from and drove across the highway to get a closer look. The source of the overspray immediately became clear - there was a cloud of paint mist billowing out of an open bay door in a metal building (NOT a paint booth). I took photos and videos of the act and contacted the manager of the location. He admitted it had been a problem before, offered to repair any and all vehicles affected, and assured me that they would correct the problem.

I also reported them to the Office of Air at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality who will be performing a compliance investigation and providing me with a copy of the report. I'm currently researching the best options for overspray removal in my area (there are LOTS of options, but few are bonded and insured). I'm capable of removing the overspray myself, but I don't have the time, don't want to put forth the effort, and it's getting too cold here.

Honda Civic 10th gen Carwash and the Wing IMG_7318.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Carwash and the Wing IMG_7518

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Haha! There is a business about 500 feet across the highway from where I work that repairs and refinishes equipment used by the oil and gas industry. Some of the parts are too large to fit in their paint booth, so they spray them inside a metal building with the doors open or just outside the building. When the wind is coming from that direction, the paint mist is carried hundreds of feet in the direction of our parking lot.

This actually started a few years ago when I noticed a black Ridgeline I had at the time was covered in overspray. I spent hours and hours claying and polishing off the overspray only for it to return several week later. I interviewed the closest businesses and had our own paint booth evaluated in an unsuccessful attempt to located the source. After my Si became contaminated soon after purchase, I decided to get more aggressive in locating the source of the overspray. I purchased some glossy black tiles from the hardware store and set them in the parking lot at work - carefully examining them twice each day for evidence of overspray.

About a week ago, I left work to find tiny dots of paint on one of the tiles near my car. I noted the direction the wind was coming from and drove across the highway to get a closer look. The source of the overspray immediately became clear - there was a cloud of paint mist billowing out of an open bay door in a metal building (NOT a paint booth). I took photos and videos of the act and contacted the manager of the location. He admitted it had been a problem before, offered to repair any and all vehicles affected, and assured me that they would correct the problem.

I also reported them to the Office of Air at the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality who will be performing a compliance investigation and providing me with a copy of the report. I'm currently researching the best options for overspray removal in my area (there are LOTS of options, but few are bonded and insured). I'm capable of removing the overspray myself, but I don't have the time, don't want to put forth the effort, and it's getting too cold here.
Looks like the mist is bellowing from the building in that pic.
Sponsored