tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Serious question... how does the dealer expect you to take delivery and drive the car home in snow, especially when the car comes with max performance summer tires? Aside from the foul mood of having to deal with taking a brand new car through dirty slush and salt, from a practicality standpoint, you can't proceed at all in the snow with these tires. This isn't an issue for most car purchases since they come with all-seasons, and even for most performance car purchases since most owners would hopefully opt to buy the car during the other three seasons. This is highly irregular in our case, due to the relative sparse inventory as it is, made even worse due to the pandemic delays. I had ordered the car back in July.
Depends on the weather to be honest. I’ve had November days well above freezing where it was good enough 40-50 F to drive on summer tires but others where it obviously wasn’t. OP is decently down south in Missouri, he might not have that huge of an issue getting the car home... Hopefully.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tagged

Tagged

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, BBP
Country flag
Depends on the weather to be honest. I’ve had November days well above freezing where it was good enough 40-50 F to drive on summer tires but others where it obviously wasn’t. OP is decently down south in Missouri, he might not have that huge of an issue getting the car home... Hopefully.
Yeah, I've got to drive from KC down to Springfield. It gets cold down here and real windy but not much snow. I'm kind of kicking myself atm cause I could've had a CTR already that came in 2 weeks ago but it wasn't the right color. I really wanted BB but they had a SGP come in and that was my 2nd color. I just knew if I got the SGP I would've always wanted the BB. It is what it is though.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Yeah, I've got to drive from KC down to Springfield. It gets cold down here and real windy but not much snow. I'm kind of kicking myself atm cause I could've had a CTR already that came in 2 weeks ago but it wasn't the right color. I really wanted BB but they had a SGP come in and that was my 2nd color. I just knew if I got the SGP I would've always wanted the BB. It is what it is though.
So average temperature in November for KC and Springfield, MO are 54/36 and 57/36 (high/low), respectively. If they store the car indoors and you drive off in the afternoon when the temps are > 40 on an average day in November you should be fine. However, note that average temps in December are 42/25 and 46/26, respectively, that may be a bit harder to do, but still plausible. Note that these average temps are probably close to the actual temps mid-month and will be warmer earlier in the month and cooler later in the month.

That said, I still agree that if you have a wheel/tire package, get it sooner rather than later and have them put it on the car before you leave. To be frank, an all season tire might be food enough for you to do for the conditions Springfield sees. If the temps are going to be that bad (<40 F), consider having it transported by truck to the destination.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Serious question... how does the dealer expect you to take delivery and drive the car home in snow, especially when the car comes with max performance summer tires? Aside from the foul mood of having to deal with taking a brand new car through dirty slush and salt, from a practicality standpoint, you can't proceed at all in the snow with these tires. This isn't an issue for most car purchases since they come with all-seasons, and even for most performance car purchases since most owners would hopefully opt to buy the car during the other three seasons. This is highly irregular in our case, due to the relative sparse inventory as it is, made even worse due to the pandemic delays. I had ordered the car back in July.
Plan ahead? Either have winter tires ready for the car (like others said) or pay to have it shipped to your house.

There are things you can do, plan to do them :)

OLDRICR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Country flag
We never know what the weather in KC is going to be, tomorrow is supposed to be 82 and the next day is a high of 45!
Worst thing is if we are forecasted to get a dusting of snow we get an inch of salt to go with it!!
I’ve been told my LE has a January build date, if the weather sucks when it gets here the dealer can keep it roped off on the show room floor!
The way things are going with COVID it wouldn’t surprise me if the Swindon plant shuts down again and it may never get here!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
We never know what the weather in KC is going to be, tomorrow is supposed to be 82 and the next day is a high of 45!
Worst thing is if we are forecasted to get a dusting of snow we get an inch of salt to go with it!!
I’ve been told my LE has a January build date, if the weather sucks when it gets here the dealer can keep it roped off on the show room floor!
The way things are going with COVID it wouldn’t surprise me if the Swindon plant shuts down again and it may never get here!
Realistically both of those days would work (82 or 45) to drive the car home :p (so long as it's stored indoors at the dealership). Salt is a different story though. I'd be more worried about a January delivery than I would a November IMO since the temps will be far lower. It's nice that the dealership can hold the car for you like that.

OP
OP
Tagged

Tagged

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, BBP
Country flag
Yeah, I may just take a set of DWS-06s up there and have them put on. I liked them on my ST while I had them. Still bummed out it wont be there this week. Had to move the window tint appointment and the PPF/ceramic coating appointment as well.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I think it has to do with the car itself. In the case of cars like the CTR, or the Golf R, or any other enthusiast vehicle that is naturally or artificially in short supply, they figure you will take what you can get, when you can get it. The only reason I bought two cars in January (different Januaries!) was because in both cases the exact thing I wanted was sort of unicorn like and when I found it, I had to jump on it.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I have driven in the low 30s on snow/ice with the stock tires. It is "DOABLE".

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Ok, so some good news for guys like me and Tagged who are in this position.....mine JUST ARRIVED at the dealer tonight! Salesguy just sent me a pic, going in tomorrow to pick it up.

What's strange is he said it's still showing on the computer as sitting at the port in Maryland with a blank ETA.....which used to show my old ETA before going blank after the date passed. Who knows what's going on.

Really hoping it's just lag in their system and everyone else's actually show up soon. So excited!

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Honda has break in instructions in the manual... It’s recommended that you don’t push the motor or go too high in RPM in the first 500-ish miles. Also recommended that you vary the RPMs while driving in the first 500 miles.

They also have instructions not to go super hard on the brakes in the first 200 miles.
Yeah - its just something I read, I can't remember where but the engine is broken in from the factory. Who knows lol.

NomaR-06

First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Guess I “bought” at the right time. Car was supposed to arrive at the dealership on 10/6 but it’s delayed. Won’t get to the dealership until next Tuesday/Wednesday. Then a couple more days to hop back on a truck to my house. So maybe it will be a trick or treat car. Hoping the car will be in my garage 10/31.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Guess I “bought” at the right time. Car was supposed to arrive at the dealership on 10/6 but it’s delayed. Won’t get to the dealership until next Tuesday/Wednesday. Then a couple more days to hop back on a truck to my house. So maybe it will be a trick or treat car. Hoping the car will be in my garage 10/31.
My original ETA was 10/5. It got bumped two or three times until the computer was just showing it stuck in Maryland with a blank ETA as of Saturday. Tagged was told a bunch of cars are held up till mid November, including his own, so I was expecting the same with mine.

Given that mine still shows that its in Maryland in their computer yet sitting at the dealership fresh off the truck, hope that's how everyone's turns up versus another month+ wait going into winter.

TDBANDIT

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jaguar F-Type, 2004 Dodge Viper, 1978 Pontiac Trans-Am, 1980 Triumph Spitfire, 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
Country flag
Ok, so some good news for guys like me and Tagged who are in this position.....mine JUST ARRIVED at the dealer tonight! Salesguy just sent me a pic, going in tomorrow to pick it up.

What's strange is he said it's still showing on the computer as sitting at the port in Maryland with a blank ETA.....which used to show my old ETA before going blank after the date passed. Who knows what's going on.

Really hoping it's just lag in their system and everyone else's actually show up soon. So excited!
I had a delivery date of 10/19/20 and on Monday they updated to 10/22/20, so we will see if I am so lucky as you are with my delivery here in KC.

OP
OP
Tagged

Tagged

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, BBP
Country flag
I had a delivery date of 10/19/20 and on Monday they updated to 10/22/20, so we will see if I am so lucky as you are with my delivery here in KC.
Mine was supposed to be here in KC also on the 19th. We shall see if it comes.
Sponsored