Tagged

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, BBP
Country flag
So, I have been waiting on my car a few months and it was supposed to be here the 15-19. So I decided to give my guy a call today for a friendly check up and see where we were at. He told me the car was stuck at port along with a lot of other cars, well he just called me again and told me he had just got off of the phone with a big Honda rep and said that all cars at the port currently will not be released till Mid-November at the earliest due to Covid rules or something they have going on. Really sucks, but it's still my car and it will be here when it gets here.
Sponsored

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Better late than swarming with plague virus or something. Not that that is very likely, but of all the reasons to delay the car, this one is far from the worst that we've seen. Still sucks, but at least you will get it (just in time for winter!).

OP
OP
Tagged

Tagged

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, BBP
Country flag
I just had another dealership contact me and they said they are hearing the same thing and wont have one till at least December.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I know this doesn't fix the wait time, but a later in service date is always better. (for resale)

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I was buying my Golf R some years ago, that allotment had been sitting on the tarmac at the port of entry for months, as fallout from the Dieselgate scandal. A lot of cars wound up at dealers with flat spots on the tires. Mine was ok, but it was definitely a "thing" on the Golf forums.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If mine doesn't arrive within a month, I don't want it shipped out of the plant before March. Not keen on driving home in the snow/salt. They should halt deliveries of CTRs to snowy climate regions until spring. PPF/ceramic might not even cure as well as it does in warmer weather too. Probably not the best thing for the engines too, starting up the motor in freezing temps during critical break-in.

Last edited:

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If mine doesn't arrive within a month, I don't want it shipped out of the plant before March. Not keen on driving home in the snow/salt. They should halt deliveries of CTRs to snowy climate regions until spring. PPF/ceramic might not even cure as well as it does in warmer weather too. Probably not the best thing for the engines too, starting up the motor in freezing temps during critical break-in.
Engine is already broken in from the factory.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Good point you bring up. I wonder if Swindon does their post-assembly track run during snow season in England. Don't they completely break in the NSX engine by running it for a period of time inside the factory, so you can literally take the car directly to the racetrack straight from the dealership (if you wanted to) and flog it without any care? I don't think they do this for the CTR engine.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The two cars I had before the CTR both were winter purchases, both in January. And here, January is Winter with a capital W. The Golf R came on summer performance tires, and the drive home in the bitter cold and light snow was...hairy. My TireRack order came a couple days later though, thank goodness.

A few years later when I bought the S5, also in January, I negotiated with the dealer for a set of Hakkapalitas. The car had to come from a dealer in Massachusetts, a couple of hundred miles away, so it was a bit tricky, but I eventually got them to split the cost of the snows. I was not going to drive that thing out of the dealer lot in January without winter tires, period.

Next week my new 18" wheels with Pirelli Sotozero 3s are goin on my CTR. I am interested to see how they drive.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Serious question... how does the dealer expect you to take delivery and drive the car home in snow, especially when the car comes with max performance summer tires? Aside from the foul mood of having to deal with taking a brand new car through dirty slush and salt, from a practicality standpoint, you can't proceed at all in the snow with these tires. This isn't an issue for most car purchases since they come with all-seasons, and even for most performance car purchases since most owners would hopefully opt to buy the car during the other three seasons. This is highly irregular in our case, due to the relative sparse inventory as it is, made even worse due to the pandemic delays. I had ordered the car back in July.

OP
OP
Tagged

Tagged

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R, BBP
Country flag
I put a deposit on mine back in early-mid August sometime, up till yesterday I was told it could arrive any day. Kind of unfortunate, all my parts I ordered came in but no car. =/

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Atleast that is a good
Serious question... how does the dealer expect you to take delivery and drive the car home in snow, especially when the car comes with max performance summer tires? Aside from the foul mood of having to deal with taking a brand new car through dirty slush and salt, from a practicality standpoint, you can't proceed at all in the snow with these tires. This isn't an issue for most car purchases since they come with all-seasons, and even for most performance car purchases since most owners would hopefully opt to buy the car during the other three seasons. This is highly irregular in our case, due to the relative sparse inventory as it is, made even worse due to the pandemic delays. I had ordered the car back in July.
purchase the tires (+ 18" wheels if you are going that route) ahead of time and have the dealer mount them on for you when you pick up the car

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Honda has break in instructions in the manual... It’s recommended that you don’t push the motor or go too high in RPM in the first 500-ish miles. Also recommended that you vary the RPMs while driving in the first 500 miles.

They also have instructions not to go super hard on the brakes in the first 200 miles.
Sponsored