CarPlay on Honda Civic Ex not working

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I know this is an old thread, but I'll relate my experience with an intermittent CarPlay connection in my 2016 Civic Touring Sedan.
I had the same issue as the OP: sometimes I would connect my iPhone 6 with the cable that lives under the head unit and CarPlay would show up as an option on the screen. Other times, after connecting the iPhone to the cable, I would just get a "Smartphone Connection" option on my screen in place of CarPlay.
I mentioned this to my business partner, and he asked if I had ever cleaned the Lightning port on my iPhone. I asked him what sort of cleaning he was talking about, and he said that he periodically takes a wooden toothpick and gently scrapes the inside of the Lighting port to dig out lint that accumulates as a result of carrying the phone in his pocket. As soon as I got home, I got a toothpick and started digging in the Lightning port of my iPhone, and was amazed at the amount of lint that I was able to remove. I should have thought of this sooner, because the Lightning cable in my work van would periodically just fall out of the phone's port as I was driving. I thought it might be time to replace the phone, but since I performed the "lintectomy" on my iPhone 6, the cable stays securely in place.
I also no longer have problems with my CarPlay connection in the Civic. So it seems that some of the contacts on the Lightning connector weren't connecting due to the inability of the connector to fully engage the contacts in the iPhone because of the lint that had been physically blocking the connector.
Anyway, I know this is somewhat long, but I hope it helps one or more of the iPhone users on the forum to remedy their CarPlay connection problems. Safe travels.
Excellent! I will start picking at my phone lint when I get home. LOL
Sponsored

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
I had CarPlay suddenly stop working after ~3 months of zero problems. I searched "CarPlay stopped" here and found a thread where someone mentioned they solved it by resetting the car's infotainment system to Factory Defaults. I just did this 10 minutes ago, and CarPlay is working again. I have to redo a few settings, but that's just a minor inconvenience.

SukiHonda

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T EX Hatch
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I know this is an old thread, but I'll relate my experience with an intermittent CarPlay connection in my 2016 Civic Touring Sedan.
I had the same issue as the OP: sometimes I would connect my iPhone 6 with the cable that lives under the head unit and CarPlay would show up as an option on the screen. Other times, after connecting the iPhone to the cable, I would just get a "Smartphone Connection" option on my screen in place of CarPlay.
I mentioned this to my business partner, and he asked if I had ever cleaned the Lightning port on my iPhone. I asked him what sort of cleaning he was talking about, and he said that he periodically takes a wooden toothpick and gently scrapes the inside of the Lighting port to dig out lint that accumulates as a result of carrying the phone in his pocket. As soon as I got home, I got a toothpick and started digging in the Lightning port of my iPhone, and was amazed at the amount of lint that I was able to remove. I should have thought of this sooner, because the Lightning cable in my work van would periodically just fall out of the phone's port as I was driving. I thought it might be time to replace the phone, but since I performed the "lintectomy" on my iPhone 6, the cable stays securely in place.
I also no longer have problems with my CarPlay connection in the Civic. So it seems that some of the contacts on the Lightning connector weren't connecting due to the inability of the connector to fully engage the contacts in the iPhone because of the lint that had been physically blocking the connector.
Anyway, I know this is somewhat long, but I hope it helps one or more of the iPhone users on the forum to remedy their CarPlay connection problems. Safe travels.
Super old thread but just want to put it out there my EX was having the same issue and I was able to correct using this toothpick method today. Before you go and start resetting your phone/car settings it won't hurt to clean these dust collectors out first!
Sponsored