CarPlay just stopped working, car won't recognize my phone (2020 CTR)

JamesinSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Was listening to a Podcast via CarPlay, then the screen went black. Couldn't get it back. Turned the car on and off multiple times, same with my phone. Checked all settings on my iPhone (latest software installed). Car will charge my phone via USB, but will not recognize it in any other way - this includes bluetooth. I called 3 dealers, service techs basically said this happens, that it's an Apple problem and they know about it (got 3 versions of the same run around). So here I am, I can't make a phone call or listen to Spotify or use Navigation in my 2 month old car and the dealerships in my area will not / can not help. Has anyone else experienced this, is there any fix? thank you!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

JamesinSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Don't just restart your car, but do a full reboot of the headunit. You have to hold the power button for a few seconds and then a popup window will ask if you want to reboot the headunit.
@arpypat, THANK YOU. Truly, thank you - I wish I could buy you a beer, worked perfectly.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@arpypat, THANK YOU. Truly, thank you - I wish I could buy you a beer, worked perfectly.
No problem, glad to help!!

I've had similar issues with my Si + Android Auto where a car restart wouldn't fix the glitches, but a hard restart of the headunit fixed it.

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Yeah. I had a similar issue but it actually was the right camera that wasn't working for me once. It just showed black when I put my blinker on. Hard reset of the head unit fixed it for me :)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
No problem, glad to help!!

I've had similar issues with my Si + Android Auto where a car restart wouldn't fix the glitches, but a hard restart of the headunit fixed it.
If your Si is a 2017 or 2018 there may be a firmware update to fix the issue.

JAMJAMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mini2
Country flag
You can connect Spotify to car stereo with Aux-In Cable or transfer Spotify tracks to an external USB drive or to burn songs to CD.For me I burn a CD from Spotify by using the spotify music downloader,if you are using other music platform you can use other converter to download songs to MP3 then create a CD with your favorite songs only to listen without limitation.;)

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic ex
Country flag
My 16 Civic ex has been having this recurring issue, last year after update software my Android auto is not connecting, Honda thought they fixed the problem by replacing stereo! That worked for awhile until last month I replaced my phone cuz my last one went for a swim, so new phone new cord AA was working fine 2 months later just stop connection!

I figured it was my cord so I bought another OEM cord and nothing, so I know it's not the stereo Honda wasted their money on that it has to be USB female, cuz them gotta be picky on the their male counterpart lol!

Anyone else having this issue?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
My 16 Civic ex has been having this recurring issue, last year after update software my Android auto is not connecting, Honda thought they fixed the problem by replacing stereo! That worked for awhile until last month I replaced my phone cuz my last one went for a swim, so new phone new cord AA was working fine 2 months later just stop connection!

I figured it was my cord so I bought another OEM cord and nothing, so I know it's not the stereo Honda wasted their money on that it has to be USB female, cuz them gotta be picky on the their male counterpart lol!

Anyone else having this issue?
Software update to your phone or head unit? Have the dealership check to see if there is a firmware update for the head unit that addresses this issue. I know on my 2018 Type R there was a firmware update available (released before I got my car actually) that fixed my connection woes.

rwht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8 (Incoming)
Country flag
I've had this issue with the current gen of Accord, Odyssey, and CR-V. A reboot fixed the issue for me (~ once / month), and some say using better Lightning cable for CarPlay removes / reduces the occurrence.

BOOYA

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I just had this same issue. I tried a system reset as well as a head reset as described above, all to no success. I checked for an iOS update on my phone, and 13.7 was available. I updated that and it worked.
Side note, I had tried my son’s iPhone in my car and his worked, so I assumed it had to be my phone. That prompted me to check my update.
Sponsored