Ellenswamy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
So, I’ve had no issue until yesterday. CarPlay would initially work for about 10 min then my screen would turn black and car play on my phone would crash. I have to reset my radio to get anything to even come back up, only a few times I could unplug my phone, but the radio thinks it’s still plugged in. I factory reset my radio and that didn’t fix it. I got a new cable and blew in the charging port and that made it work longer then it has. Actually made it all the way home.

has anyone else had this and was there a fix? I heard Honda dealers will act like they fix it but don’t do anything.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I want to confirm that your cable is MFi certified? If not, that's the first thing the dealership will typically tell you to do. Otherwise, the dealership will pull a fuse for a few minutes to completely flush the infotainment system and reset it. I'm not sure which fuse it is though.

Honestly, if you still have issues after getting a new MFi certified cable, then I'd suggest taking it into the dealership so they have it logged that you have the issue. These CarPlay issues on the 2019+ models seem to be very common, but I don't know how many people are actually going to the dealership and complaining. If Honda gets enough people with the issue, they could release a firmware to fix it (like they did with the 2017-18 infotainment systems), but they kind of need to see enough people with the issue first.

OP
OP

Ellenswamy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
The old cable I used is the official Apple one. New one I just got is an Apple one also. I don’t think the cable it bad but I thought I try a new one since it is an older one.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
If your phone is also connecting to the car via Bluetooth, go into your phone’s Bluetooth settings and delete the Honda connection. I was having horrible CarPlay problems with iOS 14, and deleting the bluetooth connection seems to have solved it.

OP
OP

Ellenswamy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
If your phone is also connecting to the car via Bluetooth, go into your phone’s Bluetooth settings and delete the Honda connection. I was having horrible CarPlay problems with iOS 14, and deleting the bluetooth connection seems to have solved it.
i do. I’ll try that also

Venator

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
I’ve had this same issue since I got my 2020. I had the dealer replace the head unit and I got a new phone. Still having issues with it and not sure where to go with it now. It feels like a software issue on the head unit to me.

OP
OP

Ellenswamy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I’ve had this same issue since I got my 2020. I had the dealer replace the head unit and I got a new phone. Still having issues with it and not sure where to go with it now. It feels like a software issue on the head unit to me.
it is definitely not your phone. The head unit said my phone was still connected when it wasnt

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Bring it back to the dealership. They'll likely report that the issue is still happening with Honda which will have Honda believing it's more likely to be a software issue (rather than hardware). If Honda/dealership doesn't hear from you again, they will likely assume it fixed it and was a hardware issue.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Are you on iOS 14.3 or earlier? I was having a weird issue that popped up a few days before the 14.4 update was released where the phone would drop connection to the head unit, I didn't need to reset the head unit but I did need to unplug the cable on either end and try again. I had issues a few times earlier on with iOS 14 where I did reboot the head unit.

Since 14.4 though it has been more solid, might be so for you too.

OP
OP

Ellenswamy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Are you on iOS 14.3 or earlier? I was having a weird issue that popped up a few days before the 14.4 update was released where the phone would drop connection to the head unit, I didn't need to reset the head unit but I did need to unplug the cable on either end and try again. I had issues a few times earlier on with iOS 14 where I did reboot the head unit.

Since 14.4 though it has been more solid, might be so for you too.
Im on 14.4. I got a new cable and blew in the charging port and had no issues today. Maybe my cable went bad or had some dust in the charging port or both. Either way hopefully that did the trick.
I also disabled Bluetooth at someone else’s recommendation

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had the same issue as you lately and I've seen on the Facebook car groups that other people are having the same issue as well. My carplay would just crash and screen would go black and not come back, not even turning the car off worked. I've had to reset my radio twice in the last month for to fix this. It wasn't the cable as I tried a brand new apple cable and I tried my girlfriend's Iphone. I just looked and my phone was on IOS 14.1 so I'm going to try and update to 14.4 and see if that helps.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

Venator

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have that very same cable in both mine and my wife’s 2020 R.. still having issues.
Weird. I haven't driven my car in about 3 months, but I used this cable for about a year issue free, running HondaHack, which is also known to cause some issues.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I have that very same cable in both mine and my wife’s 2020 R.. still having issues.
FWIW, I'm using one of the Anker PowerLine cables in my 2020. I've had the same one since I bought the car. I've definitely had more issues since iOS 14, but mine seem to be related some some conflict between the HU and the Bluetooth connection. Stopping bluetooth made a huge difference. It does still very occasionally crash out, but only if I plug the cord in before the HU has fully booted up.
Sponsored