CarPlay issues

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
Sadly iOS 14.5 didn't seem to help. I recently installed the public beta of iOS 15 (beta 2) and in a few trips, everything is working as it should. Finger crossed this continues, though I really have only one complaint with the wireless dongle and that's the lack of LogR support.
Sponsored

heavyboots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS
Country flag
That’s great news! Fingers crossed indeed.

Yeah I occasionally have trouble in 14.6 with the wireless dongle going black screen now, but it’s still basically working so I haven’t even tried a wired connection yet.

5inn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Type R
Country flag
hmm issues persist. I'm opening an iOS 15 public beta bug, and going to see if I can run it up the flagpole to Honda. I'd like to avoid bringing it endlessly to the dealer

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
That’s great news! Fingers crossed indeed.

Yeah I occasionally have trouble in 14.6 with the wireless dongle going black screen now, but it’s still basically working so I haven’t even tried a wired connection yet.
There are a few scenarios where you can get the black screen using the wireless dongles. They mainly deal with issues while the dongle is trying to connect to the iPhone and you do something:
  • If the dongle is in the process of connecting and you go into the Apple CarPlay screen (press the button on the Home Screen), it will go black.
  • If the dongle is in the process of connecting and you go into reverse.
  • If the dongle is in the process of connecting and you exit CarPlay to the Home Screen.
Basically don't do anything while it's trying to connect or it'll go black. Note that there is a small grace period while the dongle is "booting up" where you can do stuff without any issue for a short while. But once it is actively trying to connect to a phone, you're kind of going to be locked out (or face a black screen). Another issue is that while you're not on the CarPlay screen, if it enters the connect mode, you can't enter the CarPlay screen. If the connection is successful, this isn't an issue as you'll be able to see confirmation on the phone once its connected. However, if the connection fails, you need to reenter the CarPlay screen to try to connect again (after failure it stops trying to connect so it's safe to navigate around or even go into reverse); it becomes a Schrodinger's cat type of deal though for failures.

Note that I've used the wireless dongle on iOS 13, 14, and 15 (sometimes during betas sometimes on stable public releases). iOS 15 had the added bug where it didn't automatically connect to previously known wireless networks so I'd have to manually have to tell the phone to connect to the CarPlay's network for it to connect properly. Once this was done, it didn't need to be redone.

ATLRedDevil

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just wanted to share my similar frustrating experiences with Apple CarPlay in my 2021 Type R. I have had issues from the day I picked up the car with CarPlay not working properly. This thread and others on the forum have been helpful with workarounds but recently the freeze ups & reboots became more frequent so I decided to try a wireless CarPlay adapter.

I bought a Loadkey adapter from Amazon and so far it has been working well with no black screens or system reboots. The wireless adapter connects to CarPlay automatically with only a little lag when switching between apps or songs. My previous car had wireless CarPlay so it’s nice to have this functionality in the Type R. I’m hoping this is a permanent fix to these maddening CarPlay issues but only time will tell. Thanks again to all who shared their advice.

GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I just wanted to share my similar frustrating experiences with Apple CarPlay in my 2021 Type R. I have had issues from the day I picked up the car with CarPlay not working properly. This thread and others on the forum have been helpful with workarounds but recently the freeze ups & reboots became more frequent so I decided to try a wireless CarPlay adapter.

I bought a Loadkey adapter from Amazon and so far it has been working well with no black screens or system reboots. The wireless adapter connects to CarPlay automatically with only a little lag when switching between apps or songs. My previous car had wireless CarPlay so it’s nice to have this functionality in the Type R. I’m hoping this is a permanent fix to these maddening CarPlay issues but only time will tell. Thanks again to all who shared their advice.
So do you use the original usb slot to hook that up? Or how does it work?

heavyboots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS
Country flag
Yeah, it just sits down behind everything in that little cubby where the USB ports are. It's not much differently sized than a deck of cards.
Sponsored