princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
just took delivery yeserday and noticed carplay will not work. have tried 3 different (authentic) cables, tried 2 different iphones (my fiances xr and my 12 pro) and both usb ports with no success. whats funny is that I can choose the ipod logo in audio and it plays/can hear it navigating off maps but will NOT populate the carplay screen with all the apps.

(yes it does pop up the allow carplay once or always allow carplay screen on startup so im very confused)
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Tried restarting the head unit? Sometimes things get wonky and won't reconnect until I've restarted both my phone and the head unit.

Also, the whole thing is stupid sensitive to cable quality. I've had brand new cables not work.

OP
OP
princeRS

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Tried restarting the head unit? Sometimes things get wonky and won't reconnect until I've restarted both my phone and the head unit.

Also, the whole thing is stupid sensitive to cable quality. I've had brand new cables not work.
how do you restart it? i was gonna order a usbc to usb adapter to see if the cable that came with the iphone 12 worked but figured id ask the board first

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
how do you restart it? i was gonna order a usbc to usb adapter to see if the cable that came with the iphone 12 worked but figured id ask the board first
Hold the power/audio button in the top left for about 5 seconds and it'll pop up asking you if you want to reboot.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Make sure cables are M-Fi certified. A lot of cables cut out the data pin connections to save money so they wouldn't work with CarPlay at all (or transferring data from your computer) but will still charge the device.

If they are M-Fi certified, then that is a warrantable defect.

speedvagen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sgp fk8 #r-26236
Country flag
I've been having consistent issues with it working fine, then hop out of the car to run an errand and upon startup, it locks/freezes and the screen is just black. Restarting the car does nothing. Changing the cable does nothing. I’m about to give up on CarPlay. I have a second appt Mon to look at it, but I’m sure I’ll get the “we can’t replicate it” I got last time, when they handed me a “it has to be an OEM cable or it doesn’t work” and “don’t plug it in until the head unit has completely booted up and you’re still in park” instructions....

‘vagen

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I've been having consistent issues with it working fine, then hop out of the car to run an errand and upon startup, it locks/freezes and the screen is just black. Restarting the car does nothing. Changing the cable does nothing. I’m about to give up on CarPlay. I have a second appt Mon to look at it, but I’m sure I’ll get the “we can’t replicate it” I got last time, when they handed me a “it has to be an OEM cable or it doesn’t work” and “don’t plug it in until the head unit has completely booted up and you’re still in park” instructions....

‘vagen
I have these problems as well, and the first thing I did was to buy a new cord from Apple. I still get the black screen almost every day. I've given up and switched to using Bluetooth for music and the built-in Garmin for directions. I'm hoping that if/when Apple upgrades the system to wireless CarPlay that this will go away, but I'm not holding my breath. This has been a reported problem for a while now, so it would be great if Honda did something about it.

OP
OP
princeRS

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have these problems as well, and the first thing I did was to buy a new cord from Apple. I still get the black screen almost every day. I've given up and switched to using Bluetooth for music and the built-in Garmin for directions. I'm hoping that if/when Apple upgrades the system to wireless CarPlay that this will go away, but I'm not holding my breath. This has been a reported problem for a while now, so it would be great if Honda did something about it.
like kefi said above, try holding down the power button for 10 sec and itll reboot. worked for me, no issues since

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
One other thing that isn't always obvious is you need to have unlocked the phone within a certain amount of time before you connect to CarPlay. So in my case before I stuff the phone in the console, I give the phone a glance so that face recognition works and the phone unlocks. Then CarPlay starts up. They do this so you don't grant access to data from a stolen phone.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
like kefi said above, try holding down the power button for 10 sec and itll reboot. worked for me, no issues since
I often have to reboot multiple times a day. Sometimes it works for a few hours after a reboot, but other times I get the black screen within 15 minutes.

I even had the dealer re-flash the software, but that didn't stop the problem either.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
One other thing that isn't always obvious is you need to have unlocked the phone within a certain amount of time before you connect to CarPlay. So in my case before I stuff the phone in the console, I give the phone a glance so that face recognition works and the phone unlocks. Then CarPlay starts up. They do this so you don't grant access to data from a stolen phone.
This actually really pisses me off. I’ve selected to allow CarPlay access while locked in settings, and it still makes me pick the damn phone up and stare at it to connect. Why? What’s the point? So some 2 bit hacker can’t read the sexts I sent to my wife? It’s not like you can purchase crap on Wallet from the HU. Pain in the ass. Especially when I’ve got sunglasses or a hat on and it won’t recognize me.

GGinMP

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR
Country flag
I switched from CarPlay to just using Bluetooth, but I'm still having issues with the HU blacking out. Sometimes it resets itself and other times I need to press the on/off for 5 seconds to reboot.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
@mdmayberry09 @princeRS @GGinMP I honestly would still take the car to the dealership and have them report on the issue. Keep in mind that Honda may not be aware of these issues if no one reports them. I think someone on FB is getting their head unit replaced under warrnanty for this (dealer thinks it's a hardware issue). I don't think that will fix the issue, but at least Honda becomes aware of it and can address the issue directly.

Before brining it into Honda make sure you're running a factory firmware (so no Hondahack if you're running that).
Sponsored