CarPlay and iOS 13

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Any developers out there who are going to take the plunge with iOS 13?

Some pretty cool features coming to CarPlay with iOS 13. Just wondering how many or these features will or won't translate to the (2016 Touring) Civic screen.
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
You will get all of them. Carplay is run on the phone and broadcast to the screen.

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
You will get all of them. Carplay is run on the phone and broadcast to the screen.
Yeah...I know.

But the car display they showed in the keynote was way more wide screen then our screens. And if you poke around on Apple’s website post-keynote they allude to developers being able to control the experience based on the size of the car screen.

And I am still waiting on CarPlay (i.e Honda) to deliver on directions in the dashboard while using CarPlay. So while a majority of CarPlay runs on the iPhone, it still depends somewhat on the car too.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Yeah...I know.

But the car display they showed in the keynote was way more wide screen then our screens. And if you poke around on Apple’s website post-keynote they allude to developers being able to control the experience based on the size of the car screen.

And I am still waiting on CarPlay (i.e Honda) to deliver on directions in the dashboard while using CarPlay. So while a majority of CarPlay runs on the iPhone, it still depends somewhat on the car too.
Very True. I highly doubt any changes will come to the car outside of the windowed area it already uses.

maxxdj29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Dr Civic EX w/ Sens
Country flag
The external display support in CarPlay with iOS 13 (i.e. HUD, or DII in the civics) is awesome - although I highly doubt we’ll be able to use that. I’m sure Honda would have to do things on the back end to support that, and given how many feature updates we get (none), it looks like nav display on the DII will be an Android Auto-only feature until the next Civics come out.

haydhess

First Name
HH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EXT
Country flag
Yeah...I know.

This article actually has a photo showing a civic’s infotainment display previewing the update

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/13/hands-on-carplay-ios-13/

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
The best feature I'm looking for to is the ability to use the phone screen independently of what is being displayed on the Carplay screen. This way a "passenger" can use it while using navigation.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
The best feature I'm looking for to is the ability to use the phone screen independently of what is being displayed on the Carplay screen. This way a "passenger" can use it while using navigation.
You might need million of people and people standing outside of their office to have that feature.

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I bit the bullet / took the plunge / insert your favorite metaphor here and installed the public beta of iOS 13 yesterday. Here are my 24 hour observations of the updated CarPlay experience.
  • It works! And this coming from someone who has had all kinds of issues with CarPlay "crashing" and displaying a "No Device Connected" message since I took ownership of my 2016 Touring. Not one single crash yesterday
  • Despite our non-wide screen screens, it looks great! I was initially bummed that Podcast titles and album information did not show up when using the "split screen" view but the other images on Apple's website do not show them either and they are using a much wider screen than the ones in our Civics
  • The full screen music view looks great. For those who have complained about lack of album art, you should be happy.
  • The switching between full screen, the icon view, and the split screen is a little clunky and I found myself a couple of times trying to get from one to another and not totally knowing how to get there.
  • Apple Maps - this might be my favorite unexpected feature, but Siri provides more, detailed information than before. For example, and I am paraphrasing this, but "she" will say things like "Go through the light and turn left at the next light." There were other subtle examples like this during my drive home yesterday and every time she said something different it made me smile.
  • Speaking of Apple Maps - traffic signals and stop signs are displayed in Apple Maps now when using CarPlay.
  • Apple Maps - I did not play around with it much yet, but there is a more elegant "favorites" list to choose from via CarPlay.
  • CarPlay supports a "light mode" that can be toggled on and off as well as set for "Automatic" - this is one of options in the new "Settings" icon that displays when using CarPlay (along with a Do Not Disturb option)
  • Can confirm you can independently use your iPhone without disturbing what is displayed on the CarPlay screen. I know many have been asking / hoping for this.
  • There is also a new Calendar app but I did not do much with that yesterday.
In summary, it is quite usable with no noticeable issues. I was fearful as I was reading other comments elsewhere while updating my iPhone X that I was going to regret updating but my initial experience has been positive.

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Confirmed it is in the Public Beta released 24JUNE and it works just like you hoped it would.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
I also jumped the bullet.

Honda Civic 10th gen CarPlay and iOS 13 V2xRZXIh

Honda Civic 10th gen CarPlay and iOS 13 NjOkILyh

Favorite things so far
-iPhone screen is now completely independent unless the app on ACP screen is called.
-Album art on now playing screen
-Dashboard is helpful for long journeys where you just want to see the maps
-Siri seems more natural sounding
-Improved messages UI

Issues with the beta atm
-Dashboard view does not support Google/Waze GPS. Time will tell if they will update for this.
-Google/Waze GPS thinks it is night mode when ACP is set to always dark mode. I reported this.
-Standard size screen leaves the dashboard audio titles a little lackluster.
-Messages sometimes do some funky UI stuff but I reported it.

In the BMW G20 330i, the full widescreen makes the dashboard view look so gooood. I had the opportunity to drive one for a few days during the service of my wife's car.
Honda Civic 10th gen CarPlay and iOS 13 9zND92lh

OP
OP

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Nice!

Was going to post, "hey, how do you only have two tiles on the right side of your screen - I have three", until I realized that is controlled by the "Suggestions In Dashboard" option in Settings. Does not really do anything super useful right now so I think I will turn it off. I like the extra screen real estate that the two tile look provides.

But for those who want to see the three panels in action...

Honda Civic 10th gen CarPlay and iOS 13 IMG_2686

Although, I am hopeful, when iOS 13 is officially released and apps are updated, this "3rd" tile will provide the ability to have my MyQ compatible garage door opener to display a button to open and close the garage door. Will have to probably break down and finally get the HomeKit compatible hub for it.

Last edited:

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Nice!

Was going to post, "hey, how do you only have two tiles on the right side of your screen - I have three", until I realized that is controlled by the "Suggestions In Dashboard" option in Settings. Does not really do anything super useful right now so I think I will turn it off. I like the extra screen real estate that the two tile look provides.

But for those who want to see the three panels in action...

IMG_2686.png

Although, I am hopeful, when iOS 13 is officially released and apps are updated, this "3rd" tile will provide the ability to have my MyQ compatible garage door opener to display a button to open and close the garage door. Will have to probably break down and finally get the HomeKit compatible hub for it.
Others on the iOSbeta subreddit have mentioned Homekit Garage openers do show up in the suggestion box already. I need to dig to see if there is a way to delete the Calendar from the suggestions as I dont really need that. My homekit automation when I arrive home is not popping up to unlock my front doors but I turned off Siri Suggestions pretty early in the testing due to the lack fo space with 3 tiles.
Sponsored