CarPlay and Apple Maps Help

jbuckner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Does anyone know if, when using Apple Maps via CarPlay, you can view on the car's screen the FULL list of turn by turn directions? I can when using Maps directly on the iPhone when NOT connected to my car.

With CarPlay, I can only see the next turn or the Overview view of the whole route.

And yes, I would much rather use Waze. :)

But wondering if the full list view of CarPlay Maps is possible and how, possible but perhaps not with Honda (Civic), or perhaps just not available.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

MikeyMcFly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Carplay does not show the list of turn by turn directions on the headunit. It does list the full list on your iPhone though. I got a magnet mount so I look at my iPhone screen for those directions.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
CarPlay will show the next two turns if the second turn is pretty soon after the first one.

For me, the less information to read while I'm driving my car, the better. My phone stays parked in the tray. I don't want to know the fifth turn down the road, I just want to know whether I should move to the left or right lane after the upcoming turn.

OP
OP

jbuckner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
CarPlay will show the next two turns if the second turn is pretty soon after the first one.

For me, the less information to read while I'm driving my car, the better. My phone stays parked in the tray. I don't want to know the fifth turn down the road, I just want to know whether I should move to the left or right lane after the upcoming turn.
O

i don't want the full list as the default. I agree that the next turn is sufficient for the vast majority of time.

That said, Maps on IPhone (without CarPlay) does give the option to view the full list using Details. I am hoping for that same flexibility when using CarPlay. If Apple can give the option on a small screen, why not give the same when connected to a larger screen.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
If Apple can give the option on a small screen, why not give the same when connected to a larger screen.
I'd say it's because the phone is normally closer to your face while the dash display is farther away.

I wouldn't want to go any smaller for the font size showing the next turn (distance, direction, and street name), and there isn't much space remaining below (which already shows even less info for the second turn).

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I think with the new iOS 11, you may be able to see this info? I don't have an iPhone, but basing it on from this review.
Honda Civic 10th gen CarPlay and Apple Maps Help IMG_2029-980x551

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
That’s only in the stand-alone navigation mode on the iPad (using slide over), not in the iPhone CarPlay mode.

OP
OP

jbuckner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
That’s only in the stand-alone navigation mode on the iPad (using slide over), not in the iPhone CarPlay mode.
Yep. Installed iOS 11 today and tried it with CarPlay. Not there. I’m disappointed.
Sponsored