TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi all,

I am just curious if anyone here has experience with carmax and Carvana and where their offers on used cars usually lands relative to Kelly blue book pricing?

For example KBB currently says my car is worth between 18-22k depending if I trade-in or sell private party. Would they likely offer something in that range or would they offer really low?
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used KBB to get a value that was significantly higher than carvana. That’s my experience with them. After going to a few dealers I have two willing to give me slightly more than KBB which I will take. Dealers were very friendly in many instances.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As the market varies, so do the prices on Carmax\Carvana and other sites like them. In July I was offered $13,200 trade but armed with my Carmax quote of $15,000 I got $14,200 for my trade when I made the deal. The KBB price at the time was about the same for my car's condition. Carvana was a little higher but I wasn't sure they'd be true to their quote once they actually came to take possession of the car.
Just get as much info as you can and go from there. I don't think there are any steadfast rules related to it all; and it varies depending on supply\demand and other variables in your geographical location.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Yup, anything we say is gonna be hit or miss as said above. Takes 15 mins to get a Carmax offer, just head in and have it appraised. They're pretty chill about it.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Hi all,

I am just curious if anyone here has experience with carmax and Carvana and where their offers on used cars usually lands relative to Kelly blue book pricing?

For example KBB currently says my car is worth between 18-22k depending if I trade-in or sell private party. Would they likely offer something in that range or would they offer really low?
KBB showed $9500 for my Sport hatch and Carmax offered $11500. Dealer's offer was $9500 as well.

We also sold an Outback to Carmax for $2k over KBB.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Just a note to all. The KBB is owned buy a large conglomerate of used car companies. They adjust their prices according to how much of the vehicle models they have. Better off using the book as toilet paper.

OP
OP

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
KBB showed $9500 for my Sport hatch and Carmax offered $11500. Dealer's offer was $9500 as well.

We also sold an Outback to Carmax for $2k over KBB.
I am assuming you mean KBB showed $9500 for trade in value?

OP
OP

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a note to all. The KBB is owned buy a large conglomerate of used car companies. They adjust their prices according to how much of the vehicle models they have. Better off using the book as toilet paper.
Even if that is true, it's a pretty widely used standard so it still has value even if it doesn't accurately reflect what the real world value should be

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
The value that the dealer gives you for your car does not mean anything by itself unless you are straight selling it to them (and see how much you get for that) - or - if the car new car is less valuable. If you are trading it in then you could get a great deal on your car but they will have you over a barrel on the APR, the length of the term etc they are gonna get their money one way or another.

Bertie754

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had the same problem two years ago. But then I found SMS-Man. It has helped me to get an Italy phone number for WhatsApp. I'm not sure if it provides this service at the moment though
Sponsored