CARB smog test and mods

sanjuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Hello

I am a modding newb in Cali and have a few questions. If I install bolt ons, but preserve the catalytic converter and stock tuning, will that cause me to fail the smog test?

I'm considering a mishimoto intercooler, takeda exhaust and potentially a CAI. I may also tune the car but assume that rolling back to stock would be ok for any potential smog test.

Are any of these mods likely to result in California smog test failure?

Thanks!
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
... mods likely to result in California smog test failure?
1.) Going catless
2.) Muffler delete (will fail visual inspection)
3.) Non-carb tune

In Calif, smog isn't required for the first 8 years of a new car. Most people return the car to factory tune when it needs smog.

tkthedk

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm considering a mishimoto intercooler, takeda exhaust and potentially a CAI. I may also tune the car but assume that rolling back to stock would be ok for any potential smog test.
Legally speaking, it'll need a CARB EO# in order to pass visual inspection. Anything after the cat converter is fair game. The CAI will need a CARB number and the intercooler, you can probably get away without a CARB number, but legally it will need a CARB number.

OP
OP

sanjuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Legally speaking, it'll need a CARB EO# in order to pass visual inspection. Anything after the cat converter is fair game. The CAI will need a CARB number and the intercooler, you can probably get away without a CARB number, but legally it will need a CARB number.
Thank you. This is very helpful!

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, Mishi intake FTW!

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
2020 Si Hondata CARB Flashpro with a Garrett IC, Waiting on shipping 27Won W1, waiting on 27Won catted downpipe also have a K&N performance intake. I'm hoping to pass California smog down the road minus intake. Only time will tell.

OP
OP

sanjuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
2020 Si Hondata CARB Flashpro with a Garrett IC, Waiting on shipping 27Won W1, waiting on 27Won catted downpipe also have a K&N performance intake. I'm hoping to pass California smog down the road minus intake. Only time will tell.
Thank you.

Which Garrett intercooler did you install and are you happy with it?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
<has smog license

You may do the following:
1.)Replace the exhaust system after the catalytic converter
2.)Replace the stock air FILTER only, ANY intake will need an EO sticker
3.)CARB legal reflash OR reflash back to stock before smogging BUT you will need to drive the car to set the OBD monitors for a few days/weeks. You can't just reflash and run to the smog station, you will fail OBD readiness.
4.)ANY intercooler you want, intercooler changes on gasoline engines DO NOT require EO, diesel does.
5.) Downpipe ONLY if it is after the cat, does not contain any oxygen sensors, pretty much exhaust system at that point. No cat deletes or "high flow" cats.

That's about it.

OP
OP

sanjuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
<has smog license

3.)CARB legal reflash OR reflash back to stock before smogging BUT you will need to drive the car to set the OBD monitors for a few days/weeks. You can't just reflash and run to the smog station, you will fail OBD readiness.
4.)ANY intercooler you want, intercooler changes on gasoline engines DO NOT require EO, diesel does.
5.) Downpipe ONLY if it is after the cat, does not contain any oxygen sensors, pretty much exhaust system at that point. No cat deletes or "high flow" cats.

That's about it.
Thanks for this. Super helpful.

andy_wen1

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
<has smog license

That's about it.
Hey, I have a question on intercoolers if you don't mind. So why does Greddy have their intercoolers carb certified? is it cuz of the Charge pipes?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Hey, I have a question on intercoolers if you don't mind. So why does Greddy have their intercoolers carb certified? is it cuz of the Charge pipes?
Honestly don't know. It would have to be the charge pipes. EO certification is not cheap, I don't think they would do that unnecessarily just for marketing points. I hope they aren't dumb enough to not know intercoolers are free mods on gasoline cars in CA. There is a good chart available in the SMOG handbook in the PDF, it's referred to as Appendix G.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly don't know. It would have to be the charge pipes. EO certification is not cheap, I don't think they would do that unnecessarily just for marketing points. I hope they aren't dumb enough to not know intercoolers are free mods on gasoline cars in CA. There is a good chart available in the SMOG handbook in the PDF, it's referred to as Appendix G.
So, having an aftermarket intercooler won't fail inspection?
Sponsored