andy_wen1

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hey guys so I've been looking at CAIs and the only CARB one is the Mishimoto one. However, I'm a bit confused about how CARB works since the EO# document says 2016-2018 and I have a 2020 model year. Would my car be covered by the EO# if I were to buy the CAI since the engines are technically the same or is it specifically to those model years? Here's the link to the document: http://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/classic/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-759-8.pdf. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
It will not pass smog when it gets looked up because EO only applies to specific years approved for. The cop (if they ask you to pop the hood) and smog technician will ask to see the CARB sticker and they will check.

It technically should pass since it's the same engine, but that's not how it goes in California.

Up to you if you plan to keep the car for more than 20 years and deal with installing the OEM parts back on the car before the smog check.

K&N has this on their site.

"K&N INTAKE KITS, ARE THEY STREET LEGAL?
Every kit we sell is street legal in most states. California and other states that have adopted California emission standards require an intake system to be inspected by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). If the system meets the regulatory requirements, CARB will issue an Executive Order (EO) number. This number, when referenced, will inform a smog inspector that the intake system does not cause the vehicle to be in violation of state emissions standards. EO numbers are assigned for a specific part number on a specific vehicle. When a new year of the vehicle is released, a resubmission to CARB is required. The time required to go through the regulatory process can be lengthy and there is no guarantee the system will be found acceptable for each successive vehicle model year.

With the exception of our 57i Series, our intake systems intended for street use are submitted to CARB for each model year. Intakes with EO numbers means the product meets CARB emission standards ONLY for the vehicle model years cited. Generally, the EO will not cover current year vehicles due to the lengthy regulatory review process. If a model year is not cited on the EO, the part is not legal for sale or use for that specific model year in California and other states that have adopted California emission standards."

https://www.knfilters.com/streetlegal.htm

Last edited: